Traktor 1.2.3 + VCI-100 (Effect Mapping HELP PLEASE)
    Tech Convert

Question Traktor 1.2.3 + VCI-100 (Effect Mapping HELP PLEASE)

Hello guys,

I've been experimenting with some effect mapping on the new traktor 1.2.3

I own a Vestax VCI-100 (original) - no firmware updates done and here is what I wanna do:

I've been trying to set-up the small balance knobs to act as an effect selector for each deck

for example the knob on the left will work as an effect selector for deck A -> when turned to the left it will turn EFFECTS 1 ON for deck A and when turned to the right it will set EFFECTS 2 ON (this is when having advanced mode for both effects sections 1&2)

when in the middle no effects will be on for that deck.

and when the button (effect) below that balance knob is pressed it will turn both EFFECTS 1&2 ON for that deck (only when the small knob is positioned in the middle though)

I know it may sound a bit confusing at first but I believe this is a very useful combination for people that use effects often and it is a very easy and simple way to control which effect is applied to which deck.

I've managed to set the knob to turn on EFFECT 1 for each deck and to be in OFF position when in the center but that's it so far. I can't find a way to have EFFECTS 2 ON when each knob is turned to the right.

Thanks in advance!

I like your idea but I don't think that it's possible.

Reason being that to map those functions you effectively require 3 states, effect 1 on, effect 2 on, and effects 1 & 2 off (this last state would actually be a double macro as each effect unit button is turned on and off seperately).

The problem lies with the vci. If you look in your manual, on the midi map page, you'll find the two entries for the controls VR11 & VR 12 (the 2 balance knobs). What you'll find is that each has 2 entries in the table, one with CENTER in brackets. What this means is that this knob only sends 1 of 2 midi commands at any one time, one at the center position and one for everywhere else. But to do what you require you need 3 midi commands, one for each state.

The other thing you want to do with the effects button turning on both 1 & 2 only when the balance knob is at center can be done, but i'm not sure you still want to do that if you can't do the first function with the balance knobs.

I could be wrong of course, but that's the way I understand it.

I've got my effect on/off buttons assigned to the 4 little black ones to the left of the browse section, plus I get the little red lights to indicate which ones are on and off. My balance knobs on the other hand have been mapped to twin state modifiers, so when I have them at the center position all my transport controls on the left deck control deck A and when the knob is anywhere else it controls deck C. Obviously the other knob does the same but for deck B and D. Oh and by the way the controls of the 4 little black buttons I assigned to the effect 1/2 on/off controls shift function to the appropriate deck too.

My VCI is firware version 1.2 as well.
    Last edited by slaanesh; 01-06-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Tech Convert

thanks for the response. I thought of that but I still hoped that in between the pro's here there might be someone that knows a way to do that.

Sill haven't lost hope though

Tech Guru

This can totally be done. One way to do it is a midi translator. I know bomes MT can handle it, there's also some freeware that should do the trick. Actually, everything you are describing can be done within traktor alone, except for the response to just one portion of the knob's travel.

What you are essentially saying is that midi values of 0-63 should turn on fx 1, 64-128 should turn on fx 2, and the note # in the middle should activate a modifier that when on, tells the fx button to turn on both units. Sound good? A midi translator is the way you can break up the knob's travel and have each half send a different note on message.

Actually, now thinking about it, try this in Traktor - I'm not at my computer so I can't test, but I'll check it later tonight: Using the CC # of the knob, learn and set fx 1 "on" to "hold", set fx 2 "on" to hold as well, then check "invert" on the fx2 command. Make sure you have these set as "button", rather than fader/knob". Then program the center note # to turn on a modifier, and for the CC# from the knob to turn that modifier off again, so anytime you move it away from center it goes back to the single unit functionality. Then program the fx buttons to turn on both units when (example) M1=1. That might do it...

Hmm, I'll be home soon, so whichever one of us gets to it first...
    Last edited by Zac Kyoti; 01-08-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Yo dude, I programmed what I wrote above and it totally works. If you have any troubles implementing, let me know!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets