LAUNCHPAD mapping 4 decks 4 traktor (w/ leds) - Page 5
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Good suggestion on how to implement the looping. I would prefer to have some visual feedback of the loop length on the LaunchPad itself... but your solution makes sense and would be much easier to implement (though if anybody can figure out how to do what I asked about, you'll be my best friend :P)

Thanks a lot for sharing your layout, it's really interesting to see how different everybody's implementation is. Does the transparency make hitting the buttons wierd at all? It's a great idea, but it seems like it might restrict usage a bit.

Posting yours has gotten me even more motivated to finish mine now so I can share too.

Keebs

Tech Convert

OK, I figured out how to do what I was asking about. In case anybody else wants to know, here's how to do it.

Purpose:
    Make a bank of 4 buttons for triggering different lengthed loops and also to switch between loop lengths if a loop is already engaged. The button should only light up if a loop is active and if the length it corresponds to is being used.

General implementation description:
    Use an unused modifier to "remember" whether or not a loop is active and which length is being used. This is necessary because Traktor can either set a light output based on whether a loop is active or whether a loop is a certain length, but not both (to my knowledge).

For example:
    I used modifier 8 so that when a loop was off it is in state 0, if loop length 1 is selected and engaged it is in state 1 and if loop length 2 is selected and engaged it is in state 2.

Based on these settings, for each button I used:
    3 OUT "Loop Active" commands to light the buttons (one for each possible state of modifier 8: 0, 1, 2)
    -the number of commands used would need to be N+1, with N being the number of buttons in the array
    3 IN "Modifier#8" commands to jump to the correct next modifier state
    -the number of commands used would need to be N+1, with N being the number of buttons in the array
    1 IN "Loop Size" command which is triggered regardless of modifier state
    1 IN "Loop Set" command which is only triggered when no loop is engaged (modifier state 0)
    1 IN "Loop Active" command to turn the loop off if it is currently engaged (modifier state 1 or 2 depending which loop is engaged)
    1 IN "Send Monitor State" command regardless of the state of modifier8

This last "Send Monitor State" command was the key to making this all work because otherwise if button 1/loop length 1 is engaged and you want to switch to button 2/loop length 2, there is no change of loop active and therefore the lights are not updated even though their settings have based on the change of the modifier state when pressing a new button.

I know this was lengthy, but hopefully it makes some sense. I've included a tsi with just two buttons as an example. NOTE: because my default key mappings are different than the default settings, you may need to change these to keys to match your LaunchPad.
    Last edited by keebs; 12-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Tech Convert

@Keebs

great work! glad to see your expanding and tailoring things for your setup. I'll check out your TSI when i get a chance!

Hi all,

truly nice your tips and tricks for the Launchpad. I´m just working on a nice TSI, which will work for me.

I have 2 Questions:

1) How do you determine the colours of the LEDs, when using ´Hotcue1 State´ ? Is there a way apart from just trying it out. It´s hard für me to figure out which combination of Contoller Range and Midi Range brings out which colour.

2) Since I´m using the Launchpad, the ´Select Deck Focus´ Command produces a slight Audio Glitch, which is not reproducable everytime, but every second or third time. Does someone have the same Problem. In my Setup I can reproduce this Glitch with the Keyboard of my Laptop, with the XONE contoller and with the Mouse (Only when the launchpad is connected).

Any suggestions ?

soundshock.

Setup:

DELL XPS m1730
    Traktor 1.2.3 on Vista SP 2
    Allen + Heath XONE 4D
    Novation Launchpad

Tech Wizard

Woot i figured out the led thing and hotcue range stuff (not completely but getting there). And was able to remove some bugs in the original tsi

Novation led colors are explaned in the launchpad programmers reference
    it works with bits: 128 decimal numbers can be represented by 7 bits
    depending on what bits are 1 or 0 some color gets lit

There is a 2 color green-red led with 4 values for each led (off, low, mid, high) resulting in 16 led states, including the off state

here are the main ones (maybe once i write an article on how it works exactly)
    12 = off
    13 = red low
    14 = red mid
    15 = red high
    28 = green low
    44 = green mid
    60 = green high
    29 = amber low
    46 = amber mid
    63 = amber high

other unique colors are given by: 30, 31, 45, 47, 61, 62

What to put in midi-range:
    the low value will be sent to the launchpad is when the hotcue is changed to a value not in the controller-range
    the high value will be sent to the launchpad when the hotcue has a value in between the controller-range

So the controller range maps to the hotcue type like this (found by trail and error)
    -1 = no mapping
    0 = Cue
    1 = Fade In
    2 = Fade Out
    3 = Load
    4 = Grid
    5 = Loop

Dont know where to find this info (shame on you native instruments!!!)

So for example say you want some led green when any type of hotcue (cue, fadein, fadeout,...) is present on mapping 1, and the led back off when no hotcue is present in mapping1, then do this in the controller-manager:

- add out... -> cue -> hotcuestate1
    - device mapping: select a value for example: Ch01.Note.E7 (which note is which led can be found by learning it for an other controll, the provided lists from novation doesnt seem to match. Why there is no learn for output midi still puzzles me, it was present in previous versions of traktor)
    - controller range 0 - 5
    - midi range 12 (off) - 60 (green full)

Note: blend should be unticked, then traktor will output only the high value and low value of the midi-range, else it will output values in between depending on the hotcue type (= value in controller-range). And you dont want that!

now the led will be green full when a hotcue is present on mapping 1 and off when no hotcue is present

Say you want a different color for fade in, then add another hotcuestate1 and set the controller range to:
    - controller range 1 - 1
    - midi range 12 - 15 (red full)

note: now it could behave strangely in combination, because this tells traktor to set the midi value to 12 when the hotcue is not fadein, but the other rule will say that when it is in a certain range it will output 60, so depending on which rule gets executed first, the behavior will differ. And afaik there is no way of knowing that order, or telling traktor which order to do it in. This is another major headache i get from traktor, but it can be solved by a lot of work and modifier-magic)

BTW: got my launchpad today, and loving every minute of it

EDIT: Added some attachments:
    -I added fixed versions of misterMigz A, B and C tsi files. I didnt do D because i use that region for something else
    -I added the browser tsi from pipedreams, and added some LED action . Also when in browser only mode, if you load a track it will jump back to normal view, as this is 99% of the time what you want.

EDIT2: seems there is some issue when you update more than 1 LED, it takes some time for traktor to send out those midi messages to the launchpad. This results in audiostutters at low latencies when updating a few leds. This is probably something the developpers of traktor didn't foresee, but it should be fixable.
    Last edited by ejac; 01-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ejac View Post
    EDIT: Added some attachments:
    -I added fixed versions of misterMigz A, B and C tsi files. I didnt do D because i use that region for something else
    -I added the browser tsi from pipedreams, and added some LED action . Also when in browser only mode, if you load a track it will jump back to normal view, as this is 99% of the time what you want.
    Man, this is pretty sick! Awesome work! thanks for posting this up! really dig the fact that you figured out the LEDs and updated the TSI's.

On a different note....

Happy New Years Everyone! I'm glad to see we have a solid foundation for using the Launchpad with Traktor. Let's keep the innovations going!

I'm really interested in working with other controllers too. I have been using a BCR2000 for all my fader/efx controls. The build quality of the BCR2000 leaves a lot to be desired however. I'd love to replace it with a Lemur, but don't want to spend the scratch. I've considered using a Xone D1, but don't particularly like the layout... Anyhow, once i've figured that out, i'll try and create a separate thread for launchpad setups n other gear.

Happy New Year,

Thank you so much ejac ... This is the first post, which really helps a lot !

Great Work !! I´m utterly impressed ...

Cheers ...

... wan´t to give something back to the forum ...

After spending a long evening trying ...

A nice setting for the `Beat Phase Monitor` OUT is:

Controller Range: MIN: 0.00000 MAX: 0.500000

Midi Range: MIN: 12 MAX: 16

Keep INVERT and BLEND checked.

---> Nice blending of the LED, which is good noticeable when the rest of the Pad is blinking, and furthermore, you can see the beat ....

Have Fun ...

Some How my traktor is not loading ur .tsi,
    I use Traktor Scratch Pro 1.1.1, dunno if u have a new version of it.

I have a setup with APC, but now I wanna change to LauchPad + Korg control for the gigs, and stay producing with the APC at home.
    More easy to travel setup.

Follow attached the APC .tsi

Thanks for the reasearch!

[QUOTE=ejac;88363]Woot i figured out the led thing and hotcue range stuff (not completely but getting there). And was able to remove some bugs in the original tsi

Tech Wizard

Ordering mine tomorrow.

SO EXCITED DDD

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast