DJ Rafik - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: DJ Rafik

Thanks for being patronising.

But what about them isn't brilliant, is it just because you didn't get your full fix?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Thanks for being patronising.
    You're welcome. It's what I do best.

But what about them isn't brilliant, is it just because you didn't get your full fix?
    What about them is? The same thing that you have witnessed can be performed with 2x turntables and a Rane ttm57sl running serato. I can go and watch any number of DJ's in my area do this.

Brilliant? Hardly. Cool? YES.

If this is 'brilliant' to you, then sadly you need to get out more. You've obviously spent some time here to understand these concepts and have undoubtedly seen them used before. That's not brilliant, mate, and I'm sorry for you if you feel that it is.

You want to see brilliant? Check out DJ Enferno, who fuses dj'ing with live remixing. Check out Richie's latest vids from Japan (or wherever)...it shows him using 2 x1's and a Maschine...he's laying beats over what he's currently dj'ing (even if it is mostly 'claps').

These are people doing something uniquely different in their setups. You don't just throw around a word like 'brilliant'.

Lord Chilly decree's that you do what is written here.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    sums some of this thread up...
    +1 lol

Chilly, chill dude! I dno how you can suggest making use of a maschine as a cue point juggling tool is overkill, when we pride ourselves in creating brand new controllers out of Sanwa Arcade buttons to do the same thing... They aren't suggesting people should buy a maschine for Traktor, they're merely showing people that their hardware integrates perfectly with it, and know doubt theyr a better medium for juggling. I can't imagine Rafik could have done just as good a job on arcades..

Having said that, Carl Cox uses a Maschine to control Traktor nowadays... seemed really random when i read that - until I saw this video

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Brilliant? Hardly. Cool? YES.
    I'm sorry, i disagree.. I think this is both.

This guys skills are brilliant, you only have to see him perform his DMC routines. I'm massively into my Turntablists (i only wish i could do it myself) - and having seen quite a few - I still think that Rafik is the best in my opinion. He has an amazing flair for beats and rhythms which cannot be taught, just like genii like Bernard Purdie or Steve Gadd on the drums. (I'd like to hear you dispute that..)

Fair play, there are other creative dudes out there - the likes of Hawtin etc. But here, we're talking about cue point juggling (isn't that at the centre of what we call 'Controllerism'?) and Rafik has just set the bar. Period.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    The same thing that you have witnessed can be performed with 2x turntables and a Rane ttm57sl running serato. I can go and watch any number of DJ's in my area do this.
    Damn man, you must live somewhere "brilliant" if you can see "any number" of dj's do this. I'd feel intimidated if I believed you
    Hmm, you live in Detroit...Well maybe I do believe you.
    I know I live in Cow-Town-Not-Exactly-Controllerist-Central now, but I don't buy that this kind of performance is common by any means. Even when I lived in the bay area, the number of local turntablists who were really pushing the envelope I could still count on two hands.

And you've gotta tell me how this would be done on two turntables and a TTM57sl

Anyways, back to practicing routines (How can I live right in the heart of California and feel like I'm the only dj in town who uses midi?) I thought this was a cool showcase, anything that elevates people's perception of what we do, I think is great.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    I thought this was a cool showcase, anything that elevates people's perception of what we do, I think is great.
    not to mention, it has to be remembered that this routine is very DMC style - ie. it is designed to show off skills in competition. It's a totally different ball game to DJing a set in a club, although this kinda routine can be integrated into a set no doubt. However, without it being the centre of attention, no-body'll know/give a shit what you're actually doing - and thus wont be particularly impressed - in the very same way that when Richie's playing his complex minimal sets with 20 Maschines and a few X1s, to the crowd, he's just doing his thing, and it's only to us nerdy types who know what the buttons do, is he that impressive (in the way we're talking about)

Rafik's flashy, which has indeed raised the profile of cue point juggling. Hell, NI even feel the need to clarify exactly what he's doing, so the average joe can understand exactly why it's so impressive.

Someone come up with something which I'll watch constantly on repeat on a midi-fighter, and I'll stop sucking Rafik's dick.

wow i'm dominating this thread..

Tech Guru

whats funny is rafik's videos are the only ones in this thread.

theres tons of "you can see better" threads but no examples?

umm.... ok.....
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    theres tons of "you can see better" threads but no examples?
    In this case... I think Rafik takes the biscuit.

reminds me of when pioneer released this vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTWTy0Iy2U4

exactly the same 'anyone can do that' bitching. which is probally more true in this case, i had that gear, i used to do that.

however can't find any vids (except eans) that match to the ni vids, and i won't be posting any in the near future as i'm playing with cue points in a different way to that.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast