Which producer-software do you use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think everyone of my close friends who produces music uses a different DAW. And it's always about how well you know you're way around. That way, when you have a musical idea, you can get it down straight away without reading manuals or how to's and you can ride the wave of inspiration.

Someone who knows the most basic FL inside out is gonna produce better stuff then someone who only started using Ableton suite last week.

P.S you can FL mega cheap if you have are a Student

Laidback Luke just switched to Ableton Live!

However, to echo what everyone else is saying -- it's not the DAW that's the issue. You should see if you can demo a few and see which one suits your workflow best. I personally like ableton. To get a better head around it, I took an online class @berkleemusic.com to learn some of the more-than-basics. They also have classes for other DAW's too. I'd say find a DAW you like, stick with it, learn it inside out and backwards.

what do people think to ACID pro?

pretty archaic work flow, but as we've said in other threads if you know it inside and out, it doesnt matter what you use. Rusko uses it to devastating effect as I'm sure you know!

Tech Convert

I started out using FL studio back when it was fruity loops, and I was amazed at how easy it was just to muck around and make just about anything..And at the time (4-5 years ago) found reason way too hard to work with. Now I use Reason and Ableton Live 8 for PC and Logic Studio on my Mac and find FL Studio confusing and frustrating. I say use FL studio till you've made up you're mind you want to be producing music...then save up a buttload of money and jump ship like I did.

Tech Mentor

FL Studio is a great program. Easy for beginners to pick up and the VST's are great. As it has been mentioned before it is professional level. Laidback Luke, deadmau5, Basshunter.
    Setup: Studio XPS 1640 | VCI-100 SE | LPD8 | Traktor Pro | KRK Rokit Powered 6 G2 SE (Red)

Quote Originally Posted by svensat View Post
    FL Studio is a great program. Easy for beginners to pick up and the VST's are great. As it has been mentioned before it is professional level. Laidback Luke, deadmau5, Basshunter.
    deadmau5 helped to program it.

... and rusko uses Acid Studio. It is pretty archaic but not to bad for how cheap you can get it. I picked it up in Kelowna BC @ Future Shop for 70$
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Guru

really been thinking about switching to ableton 8 completely for my production work. it's starting to make less and less sense to use two daw softwares (ableton and orion).

it's just easier to use a software that i'm super comfortable with instead of taking the time to master ableton's workflow, but i know i'm going to have to bite the biscuit sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    it's just easier to use a software that i'm super comfortable with instead of taking the time to master ableton's workflow, but i know i'm going to have to bite the biscuit sooner or later.
    I've been thinking about ableton alot - but it seems very much a platform for facilitating the performance side of your own productions.. am I talking sense?

Like, deadmau5 - playing out his productions live using ableton. The whole session view malarky makes it seem like its geared more towards the live DJing aspect - but is this at the expense of the pure production/DAW side? I'm not as familiar with that side on ableton, bit i'd be interested to find out more..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    I've been thinking about ableton alot - but it seems very much a platform for facilitating the performance side of your own productions.. am I talking sense?

Like, deadmau5 - playing out his productions live using ableton. The whole session view malarky makes it seem like its geared more towards the live DJing aspect - but is this at the expense of the pure production/DAW side? I'm not as familiar with that side on ableton, bit i'd be interested to find out more..

yeah a lot of guys use it as a live performance tool.. then again the program is so vast that it has so many different possible uses. the one thing i haven't gotten used to is the sequencer and piano roll, which is the main reason i haven't converted 100% yet.
    but at this point it just seems like the power and flexibility of ableton is reason enough to learn how to get comfortable with writing/sequencing in it even if it does feel a bit more awkward than the daw sequencer i learned on (synapse orion).

just makes sense to use the software than can be used for all sorts of types of jobs from editing, live performance, production to mastering. it's just a pain in the ass because when i'm in the mood for studio work i prefer to just get down to business instead of learning new software, i really hate the gearhead aspect of producing- i just like making music!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast