Beat gridding? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beat gridding?

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    that sounds right. Did it work, though?
    I find it all quite confusing, and honestly am not shure if it works like its supposed to or not. Well, the grid matches alle the way through the track, which is a huge improvemnet I will keep doing this method for now, and hopefully get a better picture of it all, as I do more beatgridding.

The thing about another grid for another part of the song is the next step for me. Right now I am just trying to master this simple part of beatgridding.

Again thansk alot to all of you. Especially DvlsAdvct.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flaekiface View Post
    So what your saying is that I need to load another song in the deck, before writing the filetag?
    What he's saying is you should complete the grid, remove that track from the deck (either by adding a new track, or by clearing it (I have a hotkey set up for that) and then writing the tags.

I find it all quite confusing, and honestly am not shure if it works like its supposed to or not. Well, the grid matches alle the way through the track, which is a huge improvemnet I will keep doing this method for now, and hopefully get a better picture of it all, as I do more beatgridding.

The thing about another grid for another part of the song is the next step for me. Right now I am just trying to master this simple part of beatgridding.

Again thansk alot to all of you. Especially DvlsAdvct.
    What do you find confusing? Is it the concept OF the beatgrid?

Keep in mind that Traktor will not allow multiple bpms in the same track. So, if the BPM does change you're kinda S.O.L. on the beat grid angle.

Don't hesitate to ask.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    What do you find confusing? Is it the concept OF the beatgrid?

Keep in mind that Traktor will not allow multiple bpms in the same track. So, if the BPM does change you're kinda S.O.L. on the beat grid angle.

Don't hesitate to ask.
    Hmm well I am probably making it more complex than it really is. Maybe it actualy is the whole concept of beatgridding that confuses me.

Many of the tracks I now have gridded, the beatgrids has been perfectly placed from the beginnig? I guess that means that traktor has calculated the correct bpm, and manual beatgridding (in pricipal) was not necesary?

So beatgridding is to make sure that Traktor has calculated the correct bpm, and ajust the bpm, in case it is needed? Correct me if I am wrong.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, Beatgridding serves a few different purposes.

It is to make sure the track is labelled with the accurate BPM, first of all, for sorting and organization.

It is to allow accurate syncing.

It is to allow the effects to accurately flow on tempo (The beatmasher can't measure what a 1/4 beat is if it isn't beatgridded)

Traktor has a really good algorithm to measure BPMs, but it can still be very wrong. So it's a good thing to have.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

So what your saying is that I need to load another song in the deck, before writing the filetag?
    Yes thats correct

Also... if its not beatgrided, i dont play it !

Ok it makes sence.

Coluld you please answer this:

Many of the tracks I now have gridded, the beatgrids has been perfectly placed from the beginnig? I guess that means that traktor has calculated the correct bpm? In this case, manual beatgridding (in pricipal) was not necesary? Or is it always necesary for the sake of the beatmasher?

Ok it makes sence.

Coluld you please answer this:

Many of the tracks I now have gridded, the beatgrids has been perfectly placed from the beginnig? I guess that means that traktor has calculated the correct bpm? In this case, manual beatgridding (in pricipal) was not necesary? Or is it always necesary for the sake of the beatmasher?
    You will find that even if traktor does get the bpm right that your tracks can still jump around if you have it synced, your best of removing all doubt and gridding everything. Its not a big deal to put a beatgrid on the tracks that Traktor has right as you shouldn't have to do anything after putting down a grid, you can even do it on the fly as you mix. Gridding the track is also a great and quick way to find out that the tempo is indeed 100% correct and that your loops, beatjumps and snapping to the grid will allway's be perfectly on time.

Ok, its all comming together

Dont get me wrong. Its not that I dont want to do the gridding, the question just helps me understand the whole deal.

Cheers

So now I have done some more gridding, and another question arrised.

Is it unwise to throw in more than one grid in a track? I have had some tracks where theres a middle section (or something) that does not match with the original grid. Then I have thrown in another grid at de beginning of this middle section, and again another grid at de end of the section. The last grid actually have same placement as the first grid (at the start of the track), but i necesary because of the second grid screwing the first grid up.
    My question is, is this a good way to do it, or are there drawbacks that I havent seen?

So now I have done some more gridding, and another question arrised.

Is it unwise to throw in more than one grid in a track? I have had some tracks where theres a middle section (or something) that does not match with the original grid. Then I have thrown in another grid at de beginning of this middle section, and again another grid at de end of the section. The last grid actually have same placement as the first grid (at the start of the track), but i necesary because of the second grid screwing the first grid up.
    My question is, is this a good way to do it, or are there drawbacks that I havent seen?
    Idealy if your track tempo isnt constant and only swings a small hardly noticable ammount you can put the song though Abletons beatwarping system before saving it and loading it up in Traktor again. This time around it will have a constant tempo and will be way more mixable.

The drawbacks of using multiple beatmarks is that it will eat up all your precious precious precious cue points Also you can get a much tighter grid in Ableton as you will be able to place as many beat marks as you need. Just export the file when your done in Ableton and your good to go in Traktor

Also id love to know what kind of music you are having problems beatgriding.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 09-09-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast