How much of the music you have, you actually purchased? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I had a few hundred vinyls in and lots of legals cds. I also buy regularly at beatport, like once a month, and have been buying all my non dj music in itunes for the last years.

I have spent thousands of euros in music...

But as everyone else here I also have some stuff a friend passed me, or I couldn't find in any store and had to download. Id' say about 15%...

Anyway take a look at this:
    http://labs.timesonline.co.uk/blog/2...-file-sharing/

In the dj world more and more labels are coming into the scene everyday, and producing music is becoming cheaper and cheaper than it used to. You buy logic express and some good softsynths/fx and for 2000 dollars + computer you got a hell of a studio in a box. So if music is cheaper to produce, and it goes directly in digital reducing lots of costs (no box, no copies), then people are willing to buy music because it's cheaper. I used to pay like 15 euros per vinyl with 2-4 tracks. Now with 15 euros you buy between 7-15 tracks at beatport...

I don't think dj music is dying, on the contrary. There are more djs today than ever... It's just that people tend to buy more digital than vinyl so labels have to change their strategy and adapt. Labels that survived on cds and vinyls need to learn a new way of distributing their music and reducing production/distribution/manufacturing costs.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    If you cant afford to any of the above, then you dont deserve to call yourself a dj.
    hahah Dude get off the high horse,
    Stop stressing what everyone else is doing & prefect your own craft. &thanks for giving a perfect example of my point that a lot of "dj's" act like its a car show, rather than an art...&about having fun. This is counterproductive.

"The industry is a menace to artists." - Nikki Sixx
    Indy labels are where its at.

Back in the highschool days before Itunes, Beatport and Amazon all my downloads were pirated (the majority of my software was as well). However, the majority of my music was bought vinyl and CDs.

Today Im proud to say ALL my software is purchased and about 95% of my music is purchased (and btw...that shit adds up to A LOT of cash).

However, that being said. I have NO problem downloading a pirated track if Im faced with that "territory restrictions" bullshit, if the track I purchased has many very similar versions and I bought the unintended one or if I literally cant find it anywhere to buy.

Take a look at Solarstone's view (very anti-piracy indeed)

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=s...Music+Magazine
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post
    hahah Dude get off the high horse,
    Thats exactly what i was talking about.

Hes not on a "high horse" hes stating his valid opinion.

I hate this "to cool for school' attitude that people who disagree with illegal downloads are all "moral" and shit.

Come on, give the guy a break. If you disagree and your fine with stealing music thats fine but please dont look down your nose at people that dont steal music/software.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    Honestly, how much of the music you have on your hardrives or in your wallets you paid for? Im not talkin about the working cats that get hooked up since they actively promote the music in the clubs and can give feedback to the creators of the music. Im not even talkin about stuff that a producer/ remixer/ artiste gave you personally, that you promised you cant give out while you steady playin it on some internet site.

Im talkin about, and to the rest of you out there.

You talk about (pick your genre) is on life support, its dyin, bum-di-bippity bop. And yet, you couldnt be damned enough to even buy the music. You go out on the internets, download tracks with low bitrate from blogs, AIM, youtube etc. You have entire networks of folks that steal music from somewhere else and then upload it to even more folks to steal. I mean, times is hard, and cigs cost money. Why should you pay for it, right? Then you have the grand nerve to want to come out play all that free music and get paid to do it.

that doesn't include the 2500 or so bits of vinyl stored at my brothers either, guess what in the old days even the bootlegs cost money :-P

No wonder some of these scenes or genres are dying.

Wanna know how you can support? Stop bein a leech (and that is an insult to leeches since they actually have some use). Get a real job, hell, get two. Save your pennies and buy the gotdam music. Yeah, I know you cant justify springin for some vinyl in this economic climate, so maybe, buy some wavs from beatport or some other legal site. Still too much?, Aight you hump, do some 320 or 192. and stick to the internet residency. Cant quite get under budget you say? Go buy Itunes, and stay in your bedroom forever (and while you there learn how to mix ).

If you cant afford to any of the above, then you dont deserve to call yourself a dj. And you dont deserve the right to whine about a scene you are helping kill with mpfrees. Hang it up.
    all of it apart from promo's which I have only recently been getting, I have about 90gb of music apart from the DJ stuff which is EDM and bought of legitimate websites which i keep the receipts for in case something goes boom with my laptop! everything else I own the hardcopy.

oh and you can add 2500 or so Vinyl to that, even bootlegs cost money in the old days, unless you were lucky enough to get given lots of promo's :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Thats exactly what i was talking about.

Hes not on a "high horse" hes stating his valid opinion.

I hate this "to cool for school' attitude that people who disagree with illegal downloads are all "moral" and shit.

Come on, give the guy a break. If you disagree and your fine with stealing music thats fine but please dont look down your nose at people that dont steal music/software.

Just a thought.
    If you re-read his initial post you will see that his stead is flying high indeed. calling on people that refuse to pay for copy right exploitation to "get in line" and buy the "gotdam music". What a joke, and like we said earlier he has every right to be a joke. He was not asking a valid question like the title of his post suggest rather ho chose to project immaturity and down right logical fallacies. Not only does he infur that in order to be a real dj you need to be a consumer, but you are a "leech" until proven otherwise.

just another thought.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by sm00sh View Post
    If you re-read his initial post you will see that his stead is flying high indeed. calling on people that refuse to pay for copy right exploitation to "get in line" and buy the "gotdam music". What a joke, and like we said earlier he has every right to be a joke. He was not asking a valid question like the title of his post suggest rather ho chose to project immaturity and down right logical fallacies. Not only does he infur that in order to be a real dj you need to be a consumer, but you are a "leech" until proven otherwise.

just another thought.
    sm00sh, I Agree.
    Karlos your confused, hes initiating the "look down his nose" with the original post.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Look there are holes in his post. Its not consistent and he makes assumptions that dont bare close resemblance but his premise, that stealing music is wrong is one that i happen to agree with. Its not an opinion that is immature but quite the opposite. Maybe the way he words it isnt very mature but im not gonna call him immature just because his wording may be.

I have no idea what "logical fallacies" means im afraid.

Tech Guru

yeah, i'm not going to even entertain the dead-horse argument about illegal file-sharing - some people think it's the scourge of the music industry while other camps think it's the new model for the music industry.

but what i will comment on is this, scenes have come and gone with a lifespan of a few years for A LONG TIME. this isn't exclusive to dance music, this isn't even exclusive to music or art in general. this is part of the human condition, people's interests change rapidly and so does their entertainment.

Don't blame technology or big businesses for killing scenes, blame people for wanting to experience new things instead of the same old shit day in day out. Blame innovation, Blame creativity, Blame your grandma, Blame your dog - at the end of the day it doesn't matter who foots the bill because it's just part of life pal.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-29-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I have no idea what "logical fallacies" means im afraid.
    please don't take me to be a grammar snob, but a fallacy just refers to a defect in argument other than a false premise.

again i don't mean to beat a dead horse but like we said, he has every right to what ever premise he wants. no one was attacking that. Just the ridiculous manner in which delivered his opinion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast