How much of the music you have, you actually purchased?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How much of the music you have, you actually purchased?

Honestly, how much of the music you have on your hardrives or in your wallets you paid for? Im not talkin about the working cats that get hooked up since they actively promote the music in the clubs and can give feedback to the creators of the music. Im not even talkin about stuff that a producer/ remixer/ artiste gave you personally, that you promised you cant give out while you steady playin it on some internet site.

Im talkin about, and to the rest of you out there.

You talk about (pick your genre) is on life support, its dyin, bum-di-bippity bop. And yet, you couldnt be damned enough to even buy the music. You go out on the internets, download tracks with low bitrate from blogs, AIM, youtube etc. You have entire networks of folks that steal music from somewhere else and then upload it to even more folks to steal. I mean, times is hard, and cigs cost money. Why should you pay for it, right? Then you have the grand nerve to want to come out play all that free music and get paid to do it.

No wonder some of these scenes or genres are dying.

Wanna know how you can support? Stop bein a leech (and that is an insult to leeches since they actually have some use). Get a real job, hell, get two. Save your pennies and buy the gotdam music. Yeah, I know you cant justify springin for some vinyl in this economic climate, so maybe, buy some wavs from beatport or some other legal site. Still too much?, Aight you hump, do some 320 or 192. and stick to the internet residency. Cant quite get under budget you say? Go buy Itunes, and stay in your bedroom forever (and while you there learn how to mix ).

If you cant afford to any of the above, then you dont deserve to call yourself a dj. And you dont deserve the right to whine about a scene you are helping kill with mpfrees. Hang it up.
    Last edited by usdm; 11-29-2009 at 02:35 PM.

wow your little rant had me laughing for some time.

Im not going to rehash the tired debate over the presumed evils music piracy. you are very naive to believe that the sale and control of music by huge corporations will be responsible for the death of any "scene". The music will never die.

you have every right to post your rants and yell at people become passive consumers and buy there music like they are told to do. and I have a right to tell you that times are changing. Research the band Radiohead and you will see what I mean.

also if you have time check out the following film that gives a pirates and "DJ" perspective on copy right exploitation.

http://www.hulu.com/rip-a-remix-manifesto

as a producer and dj I would think its absolutely necessary for as many people as possible to "steal" and blog my work. It is vital for the health of the art that we move out of the "record industry" and move into the "music industry".

Oh and I will not be seeking permission to "steal" your words and post them in other forums. lmfao its just to funny.
    Last edited by sm00sh; 11-29-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Tech Guru

Alright... first of all, I dont really understand why you felt it necessary to come here, to post your rant about the state of the general music scene.

Personally, I try my hardest not to pirate, and as such, I own about 80% of the music in my library. However, I feel its a tad bit ridiculous for me to purchase the intellectual material of others, no matter how much I do happen to love it (which is hard to determine from samples).

You talk about the health of the music scene. lets pick a random one. hmm, hip hop. You are saying the reason it is dieing is because people are "stealing" the songs? Personally, I feel like its the exact oppossite. commercial hip hop is killing the genre, and you know why? Because people are BUYING IT.

Your right. Lots of people "steal" music from mainstream artists, but thats got nothing on the number of people who actually pay for it. hell, if thats going to help kill the current genre, I might just spark up the old internet and download all of it.

small labels/artists are the only ones who are really at risk, seeing as they dont have massive commercial support. However, if you go to many of these indy artists shows, they are handing out albums like candy, because guess what, they WANT to get heard, so their small voice can be recognized over the shouting shitstorm that is mass media.

If you want to support a band or an artist, fuck, go see them live, go buy their tee shirts and other shwag. Praise their music, turn your friends on to it and let them do the same to their friends. But shit, if you think that buying an album is going to support your favorite band, who happens to be signed to some label like warner brothers... think again, cause only a fraction of that money is going to them (granted, this doesnt truly apply to bands that run labels, and a majority of EDM Labels *not ultra*, because they are trying to support the artists under them).

I dunno. Lets look at radio podcasts like A&B Trance Around The World or Armins A State of Trance. These shows throw hundreds of new releases out to the public, for free. Do you think that hurts the artist? If anything, I would say it does the opposite. It gets their name out, and helps attract new fans, who are, what do ya know, going to go see them gig live, and buy their shit (thus bringing money), as well as buy their songs/albums.

You're right. The traditional music scene is dying. However, why must that be a bad thing? More bands need to take a leaf out of Radiohead's book, and release their albums for PayAsYouWish (Radiohead averaged around 7 dollars an album, and about 30% of people paid absolutely nothing, which still sits them well above what they would have made under a label).

*Edit*
    Lol, someone beat me to the radiohead thing.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Blimey...
    Just out of interest why do you say "stick to internet residency" if you dont play Wavs.
    I never play Wavs (and not wanting to get into the whole mp3 debate) im not a bedroom DJ , i play to over 3000 people every week. Im more than happy to play iTunes downloads sometimes.

Anyway thats a side point. Its usually me that attacks the pirate and downloaders and i often get a lot of stick for it cus it seems that on forums you are either tarred with the 'cool down with the system' brush or 'your a corporate whore who supports the big horrible music biz'

I like your rather grandiose post.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    More bands need to take a leaf out of Radiohead's book,
    Yes your right.

More bands should sell millions of albums (which means people buying them in the first place, hello) and then be able to afford to do what Radiohead did.

Well done Radiohead for making a lot of money.

Well done ME for buying all those Radiohead albums and buying the concert tickets to see them and enabling them to do In Rainbows.

CAN OPEN, WORMS EVERYWHERE...
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 11-29-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Tech Guru

Yes you're right. You might have to be big to do the radiohead thing.

But like I said. Small bands hand their EP's/albums out for FREE. Little cheaper than you know, PWYW.

The short answer to your question is 'All of it, I buy all of my music'. I come from a generation where vinyl was king and you can't get vinyl for nothing. I have over 6000 pieces of vinyl, hundreds of cd's and a few hundred legal downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    The short answer to your question is 'All of it, I buy all of my music'. I come from a generation where vinyl was king and you can't get vinyl for nothing. I have over 6000 pieces of vinyl, hundreds of cd's and a few hundred legal downloads.
    I love you, my new Highland friend... me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I love you, my new Highland friend... me to.
    Och, you'll make me blush....

Tech Mentor

I admit, probably 50% of my music is pirated, however most of that is from when I was like 15 (Blink 182, Greenday etc).

I have only just got into DJ'ing, in fact my VCIse will be here tomorrow, but I have promised myself that from now on all my music will be bought legally. I already have about 10 songs and it feels good knowing I paid for them and makes me appreciate them more. They come with the artwork and with good bitrates, it comforts me that if I ever do get to play in public I KNOW I will be 100% legal.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast