TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

as if they weren't expensive enough.

although if there isn't any concrete evidence, could just be hype generated from taking a bite due to the economy, and trying to get some quick holiday sales? i dunno
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

If this is true, it's not too surprising to me.

I would tend to say that majority of people buying technics of any flavor are buying them used. In a sense, the technics manufacturing quality has shot themselves in the foot as the new decks last forever and can change hands multiple times before they even come close to dying.

In addition, the price of one new SL-1200/1210 is so high that it's hard for almost anyone to justify buying decks new when it's no secret that a 10 year old 1200 runs just as good as a brand new one.

This came up on a local forum:

the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there's some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it's vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range

This is old news and really what's the difference? There are so many out there and most people (who have any sense at least) buy them used since you can get a pair for less than the price of one new one. There will be no shortage, no reason to panic and prices are not going to go up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by summervest View Post
    If this is true, it's not too surprising to me.

I would tend to say that majority of people buying technics of any flavor are buying them used. In a sense, the technics manufacturing quality has shot themselves in the foot as the new decks last forever and can change hands multiple times before they even come close to dying.

In addition, the price of one new SL-1200/1210 is so high that it's hard for almost anyone to justify buying decks new when it's no secret that a 10 year old 1200 runs just as good as a brand new one.
    They definately last forever, I got my two 1210's out of the garage so I could get them serviced by a guy i know, they were in a damp garage for nearly 13 years, I bought them around 1987 so they are 22 years old, been used for clubs blues parties you name it battered senseless, they were somewhat grimey! , i gave them a day to reacclimatise to being in doors and tested one of them out! it worked like it did the last time i used it

now both decks are being refurbed with a full rewire blue led's and a respray, even if Technics do stop making them and the parts, I know my babies will be with me regardless, if they can take the beating i gave em god knows what else they can take lol!

even the guy picking up was shocked I had owned them that long, as he said you can't be that old :-P i told him I was 38 he even checked the serial bar on the side to confirm when I got them ;-) made me chuckle.

even though I am fully digital nowadays my 1210's will never leave me, but Panasonic and their parent company are only going to think of bottom line in the end

Tech Mentor

Mine are second hand 80's 1210's and they have served me well for the last 10 or so years but i think they could do with a spruce up.

Does anyone have any idea of any places that refurb 1210's in the north of England?? Mine have started going funny in that the pitch goes a bit "wobbly" close to quartz lock and i reckon i could do with them being replaced but i haven't a clue of anywhere up here that would do it. Preferably north east england.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    This is old news and really what's the difference? There are so many out there and most people (who have any sense at least) buy them used since you can get a pair for less than the price of one new one. There will be no shortage, no reason to panic and prices are not going to go up on them.
    i think ebay auctions will rise to higher prices now tbh

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

end of an era. wow.

i've never personally owned a pair, but i learned how to dj using my friends tech12s long before going the route of softare/midi controller djing.

RIP

Tech Wizard

I have my pair since 1996, they still do well!

If you can, grab a pair! The experience of playing on such instruments is something i think all the djs want to experiment

Default There may be hope yet!

Ok i just got another email regarding this.

DMC have been the main retailer of Technics turntables in New Zealand for about 10 years now. We received an email from the NZ Panasonic product manager for Technics, James Petterson (who we have dealt with for many years now), on the 19th November advising "I am sorry to say that the manufacture of Technics turntables will end in February (2010). A sad day!". He advised that February was the last possible month for them to order any more stock. Finding the news too hard to believe we then requested further clarification from him - did this mean Technics were being discontinued just in the New Zealand market or was it a world wide thing? We received a reply from him the following week, on the 25th of November, stating - "Japan have come back and said that the turntables are being discontinued all over the world." Panasonic New Zealand is actually owned by Panasonic Corporation Japan so this information has in effect come straight from the horse's mouth. Taking this as confirmation we then emailed out the sad news to you the following day on the 26th. We were unaware at that stage that this was some of the first news of the announcement but we've subsequently seen that there have also been similar reports from Australia - "It is a sad day today but due to low sales globally in analogue turntables a decision to stop production has been made on Technics Turntables. For Australia this means we will receive our last shipment in March", says Ian North, product manager for Panasonic Australia.

In a discussion with James Petterson here in NZ over the weekend it appears that Panasonic Japan have so far advised some of their international distributors (like NZ and Australia) of the Technics news but have not announced it themselves from Japan. With the rapid world wide spread of the news on the internet it would be a good move for Panasonic Japan to come forth with an "Official Announcement" themselves very soon. DJs have supported these Turntables (and therefore their company) for over 35 years now so shouldn't Japan themselves be letting everyone know this kind of news as soon as possible? It sounds like a long shot but our main hope is that there is enough worldwide support shown for Technics to be continued, in the way of petitions, forums, etc, that Panasonic Corporation will bow to international pressure and change their minds - not allowing the legendary decks to become a thing of legend.

As they say, we will keep you updated as any more news come to hand.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast