How to stay updated with music - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Check and keep up to date on your popular local radio stations top 100
    Exactly... can't get anymore commercial than the radio!

quuz -

what is what.cd? seems like a invite-only website.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    but then he went on to say he's looking for "commercial music" which puts things into perspective as to why beatport may have not been so helpful heheh.
    yeah...

beatport still my help though... the front page of beatport is super commercial as far as house music and commercial electronic crap. just hit the top 100 there...

For sure beatport is a good start. I would hope that new djs wouldn't rely on a site like that to influence what they play tho. Do some research, listen to samples, and develop your own unique styles
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    social networking sites where i can follow musicians i like as well ailas request newsletters/ming list from them, and also the blogosphere is essential tool for keeping up to date with whats new and interesting.

beatport is just a store, i wouldn't rely on that solely for news because that's not what it's really about at all. you go there when you know what you want to buy, but to know what you want you need a news source like blogs,mailing lists and social networking sites.
    Thank you guys for your answers, helped me a lot but however I do have some questions, what do you mean by saying " social networking sites "? Sites like myspace ? What blogs do you recommend ? I have some blogs that I often visit them but they don't update too often and I am not too sure about the quality of the music, most of the times the tracks are in 192kbps!

Tech Guru

social networking sites = myspace,facebook,twitter,soundcloud etc.

blogs... man there are way too many to even bother listing. so if you have some artists in mind that you are looking for, go to hypem.com and do a search. then bookmark the blogs that the artists show up on. you can also bookmark the links in the blog's "blog-roll" on the right side of the page.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    yeah...

beatport still my help though... the front page of beatport is super commercial as far as house music and commercial electronic crap. just hit the top 100 there...
    yeah i still don't know if he means commercial as in pop/top40 radio music or commercial dance music or what... lol. back in my day if kids wanted to find things out they didn't have djtt, we had to use this old contraption called google. hahahah

back in my day it was yahoo and alta vista
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    For me the artist/label bookmark feature at Beatport is an absolute godsend. It has kept me "up to date" and introduced me to SO much good stuff this year.
    This. I check "my labels/artists" on beatport every saturday afternoon together with the weekly email I get from an online record/mp3/gear shop I bought from some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    (while they're at it...lets hear it for a multi-crate feature....like the old days of vinyl shops...you know...the 'maybe pile' the 'listen again pile' the 'buy pile' etc)
    I like the hold bin in Beatport for that ! Add things, listen to crate, move back to hold bin if in doubt. After a couple weeks there's a good batch of things to checkout and I can get a second take on the hold bin if needed

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    back in my day it was yahoo and alta vista

haha yeah i almost forgot about those ones... i liked excite as well...

i can't even remember when i stopped using the alta vista and just used google... how did that even happen? it's so bizarre, google just came out of nowhere and took over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast