DM2 Arcade Button Mod Wiring Help - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Tech Convert

So, what is your plan for the DM2 joystick?
    Just asking because isn't it needed for the calibrating?
    Last edited by Paleface; 01-16-2010 at 05:15 AM.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! Great to know that this can quite easily be done with a DM2!!!

I'm curious, though. Why have you made a single unit? Won't you need to connect the 2 units together to make them work with DM2Midi?

You probably know more about this than I do - BUT - the DM2 has 4 banks, right? That means that the 16 buttons on the scratch rings could be multiplyed by 4 to give you 64 buttons (like a monome...)

Could you connect up an arcade button to one of the radial buttons and the bank select button, so that when you hit the button, it changes the bank and sends the midi message at the same time?

It would be AWESOME if this was possible! Would it also mean that you could connect more than 2 scratch rings (if you connected the encoder to the bank switch also) and more than 1 crossfader?

I'm thinking of a controller with TWO 4x4 grids of arcade buttons, Eight scratch rings/rotary encoders, Four faders and transport and navigation buttons...
    Last edited by Patch; 01-16-2010 at 05:19 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

the 4 banks of the DM2 are achieved via software not by hardware I guess...

Tech Mentor

Patch:
    This is just the first of the two units. I just wanted to make sure everything would fit first.

I use OS X so i don't use DM2 midi

I have found that you can't just take parts out of the DM2. I tried disconnecting some parts i didnt want and the MIDI stopped functioning.

The banks are achieved through the driver software. They're also just midi buttons detected by traktor.

@ paleface
    I am using OS X so the joystick is not needed for calibration. Since i have not gotten it to do anything useful with traktor i'm just going to scrap it.

Cool. How does the DM2 work as a midi controller? I've ALWAYS thought that it had to be mapped through the Dm2Midi software to make it function as a midi controller?

Is that not the case for Macs?

On WinXP, the DM2 is not even recognised when you plug it in UNLESS you have DM2Midi installed...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Mentor

in OS X you can download a driver for the DM2 to allow it to function as a midi device

http://www.joemattiello.com/dm2/Notes.html

it doesn't give as much in depth customization as DM2midi but it works for me!

Tech Convert

What did you do to the leds of the DM2, did you leave 'em out and if so, isn't it possible to implement 'em? I googled around and found some buttons that do glow... Can those glowing buttons be used in the way the original DM2 buttons used to?

So you MIGHT be able to wire up an arcade button to the bank change to give extra buttons? I don't know too much about electronics, but there is nothing stopping you from connnecting a radial button in parallel to the bank select as well as sending the usual midi message...

I think?

Tech Mentor

@ paleface:
    The LEDs will be incorporated. Its not that clear in the pics, but there are 5 mm holes next to each of the arcade buttons and the buttons below it for the LEDs to go in.

@ Patch:
    I'm not sure about this, and have no idea if it would work. I didn't want to mess with the electronics of the DM2, so i'm basically taking it out of one case and putting it in another with other buttons. Nothing too complicated...in theory...

more pics to come soon!

Tech Convert

Okay faeruithir, you inspired me... I've ordered me a second DM2 for modding and make a plan what I want to do...
    Gosh, I really wisch you would have a better cam for making much more detailed photos...