I hate the new soundcloud. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    They offered a free service. They still offer a free service. They need to make a profit. You don't like their business practices go somewhere else.
    Bang on the money. Well said.

But keep the hostility down here. We don't need it from anyone.
    Getting a bit hairy round here. Always does with posts about Free stuff as opposed to paying for stuff.
    I can see both side of the argument. I just think it was inevitable.

When Free stuff is great its only a matter of time when people are persuaded that a cost has to be involved.

yea Im pissed about the new limitations but their site aint powered by love...or for that matter...ADS.

If it is too good to be true it usually is...or eventually is.

However "tbh" it sucks a lot more for you all (the ones whose mixes are hot and being downloaded) because Im not seeing much of this in my area!

hahahaha!
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    lol oh noes someone needs to take a nap, guys get this kid a juice box and a vitamin hes havin a bad day.
    lol the irony. Settle down dude.

Not everyone can absorb massive costs like google can with youtube. As a company they have to be dynamic & change its strategy if the previous system was not working. I would not call this sloppy or that their amateurs, quite the opposite, if they didnt do something like this they would most likely have to fold OR sell out to someone like google. They would have known they would alienate a few users but that it was a cost they had to take. Doesn't sound like you know what your talking about TBH.

+ The fact you openly state you use it for promoting hard out explicitly shows your using it in a more 'professional' manner which is what they provide the pay service for. Do you complain about companies making you pay for software like Traktor & Ableton etc or do you pirate everything? Its the same logic.

I think your in the minority here that they are 'goons', rather they are a business trying to stay afloat in a tough market. I agree it sucks for SOME of the free users a bit but if thats what they have to do to keep providing a high quality product then so be it.
    Last edited by midian; 11-24-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I can see both side of the argument. I just think it was inevitable.

When Free stuff is great its only a matter of time when people are persuaded that a cost has to be involved.
    I totally agree. But we gotta keep spreading the love around here. Don't want this forum to become a bunch of flame wars like, y'know, djforum
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    lol the irony. Settle down dude.

Not everyone can absorb massive costs like google can with youtube. As a company they have to be dynamic & change its strategy if the previous system was not working. I would not call this sloppy or that their amateurs, quite the opposite, if they didnt do something like this they would most likely have to fold OR sell out to someone like google. They would have known they would alienate a few users but that it was a cost they had to take. Doesn't sound like you know what your talking about TBH.

+ The fact you openly state you use it for promoting hard out explicitly shows your using it in a more 'professional' manner which is what they provide the pay service for. Do you complain about companies making you pay for software like Traktor & Ableton etc or do you pirate everything? Its the same logic.

I think your in the minority here that they are 'goons', rather they are a business trying to stay afloat in a tough market. I agree it sucks for SOME of the free users a bit but if thats what they have to do to keep providing a high quality product then so be it.

i guess what bothers me most is that they're changing their business model, not so much that they are charging. i have no qualms in paying for services that are initially advertised as such, this isn't about me just not wanting to pay - it's more to do with how they went about doing this. like you said they decided to risk alienating a percentage of their early users and i'm of that percentage who feels alienated and is a little frustrated that they're twisting my arm after the fact.

it'd be like someone inviting to take you out for lunch and then once you've finished your meal they say "so how do you want to split the bill". i'm not angry about it so much as i am annoyed, if my posts come across as agro that's just how i normally express myself and it probably comes across as a bit abrasive/hostile in text to those who don't know me, so i apologize for that.

Tech Convert

Nobody is "twisting your arm" to use the service. If you don't like their new model then don't use it, there are other options out there. In all the time you've spent complaining on here you could have set up an account elsewhere and started updating links...

They are an ad-free business who have to find some way of recouping costs and maybe even (god forbid) make a profit from their creation. If DJing is your career then that's your business, if paying for a premium account or moving your mixes elsewhere is too much hassle then i'd question your commitment to your career. Even if it's only a hobby, it appears it's one you take seriously. Is it an inconvenience? Yes but it's happened,now evaluate your options and adjust accordingly.

End of.

Tech Guru

^awesome, yeah everybody said what you have to say already but thanks for coming out champ.

I totally agree. But we gotta keep spreading the love around here. Don't want this forum to become a bunch of flame wars like, y'know, djforum
    srsly, in the spirit of djtt can we please respect that some people don't like the way soundcloud is now.

if you like it, make your own thread.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    srsly, in the spirit of djtt can we please respect that some people don't like the way soundcloud is now.

if you like it, make your own thread.

lol it's all good. i got quite a laugh out of buddy "questioning my commitment to my career" simply because i posted a thread about being annoyed with having to dick around with having to rethink my fileshare options. is it really that inconceivable that some people would be atleast a little bothered? im not a sedated robot, when something bugs me i like to say something about it and i thought since this affects a lot of djtt'ers i'd post my gripes here.

maybe because of my choice of words people confused my mild annoyance with the subject to be more emotional then it actually was. i guess some folks aren't used to people talking about what irritates them in an honest fashion, so took it upon themselves to state the obvious and posture with an air of superiority. too adorable hahahaha, but typical of online forums so not surprising really.

but thanks for havin my back bro!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-27-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Tech Convert

Yes people had already said what I said but you were still whining about being strong-armed into using the service and the simple fact is you're not. You have a choice, end of. Is it inconcievable that you would be annoyed by the changes? No, of course not, I just don't see what good complaining about it does now it has changed. As someone pointed out already, they obviously weren't making enough money with premium account holders before the change so they more than likely had to make this choice in the knowledge that they were going to alienate and lose a chunk of their customer base. And with that said it's fairly unlikely it'll revert back so forgive me for thinking complaining is a completely pointless exercise.

In relation to me questioning the commitment to your career (if this is your career that is), you were whining about changing a couple of links on some forums or websites like it was some big ordeal and inconvenience. Maybe it was your wording or whatever but it came across like you viewed this like it was some major upheaval when in reality it's not. You should be updating your business regularly anyway. And yes, people may have said what I said already but you were still crying over the fact that your arm was being twisted into change.

Oh and you commenting on someone's apparent air of superiority is laughable

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast