How to? - momentary footswitch
    Tech Wizard

Default How to? - momentary footswitch

I have just gone and got a cheap footswitch to use with my UMX25. The footswitch didn't come with a long cable nor a plug on the end. No biggy so i thought i would solder one on myself..... Ok so here is my problem:

1. I'm going to put a female 1/4" TRS connection on the end. (This way i am hoping to then use just normal 1/4" TRS Male-Male cable to go from female footswitch plug to the back of the UMX25)
    2. It has three contact/wire points to solder and so does the footswitch cable.
    3. The cables are coloured white, green and black.
    4. Is there a specific way these need to be soldered?
    5. There is a circuit diagram on the bottom of the footswitch but my electronics knowledge is limited. never listened in physics in high school lol
    6. I opened the Male plug in the other cable and it only had 2 contact/wire points?

Should i post pictures of my parts?

Hope someone can help here cuz ive searched the net for ages but have come up trumps

cheers, andy
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

Tech Wizard

Given that the current provided is strong enough to travel through the connectors, the cable, the switch and back again, here's a schematic on what each part of an XLR connector stands for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_con...LR3_connectors

EDIT: My bad, I now see that it was a 1/4" TRS plug.

However the same logic applies on that. Send the current through on of the wires, if that doesn't work, try the other.
    Last edited by autonic; 11-19-2009 at 10:55 AM.