Advice! Part One of DJ Setup: Buying the right laptop (pc or...mac?) - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    ...MBP CPU usage barely flickers when im hammering the testicles out of it

...we are talking DJing here arent we, not 3D Modeling of the latest Japanese Airport..

I dont need to tweak my Mac to within and inch of its life cus its barley awake when its running Traktor anyway.

All power to the tweakers...

Id rather french kiss Bill Gates than have to go through more Apple Service Centre horse-shit.
    you brits have a twisted way with words man. LOL

but this is the way i see it with the pc's...once you get them running, they are great...but getting there is a challenge.

Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    to be honest, most cheap NETBOOKs are starting to offer many of the same features of a mac (keyboard style, touchpad, case), and they cost next to nothing.
    This made me laugh a lot.

So your point is that people have macs simply because they like paying more? Like a luxury item with a logo on it?

Tech Guru

Why would it make you laugh? that's exactly what I'm saying.

I'm not saying they are bad (specially not there os), hell i run leopard myself on one of my partitions. I merely providing counter point to your post.

To say that a mac is worth the money due to its keyboard/case, isn't something I would do.

The case makes up, if even, a 10th of the actual value in my opinion. You dowant something that;s going to look nice, and something you will enjoy using, but I've run laptops that use pizza boxes as cases (no joke), and loved every minute of it (granted, it was for the lulz).

To stay on topic, Leopard is wonderful for use with traktor, I have none of stability issues that I have on my xp partition, even though I am on the same machine. The mac case is sexy, no doubt, but therein is its flaw (designed to look nice, keys get very tiring after long hours of typing). Fortunatly, as a dj, you shouldn't have to spend too much time on the keyboard.

Tech Guru

i think at this point everyone agrees windows 7 is a great operating system.

that said. for 1299 you'd pay for a macbook you can walk into best buy and buy...

a desktop pc running windows 7 with a 19" monitor
    a laptop running windows 7 with a 15.4 inch monitor
    AND
    a netbook running windows 7

im sorry but given how awesome windows 7 is.

ill buy 3 computers for your 1 computer.

and likely, the desktop and laptop will have video cards that embarrass anything a 2 thousand plus dollar mac has in it.

dont get me wrong. i like macs, i do. i still want another one. but only to complete my collection. i like to have working pc's running windows, mac, and linux just because ive been a technician my whole life and that sort of thing is fun for me.

but that said.

a mac is a HORRIBLE value. unibody aluminum is nice. but they tend to put huge processors with ridiculously slow and generally last years technology in the video department. the new imac is a perfect example. at the native rez that amazing 27" display runs. the video card driving it can handle running world of warcraft for example (which isnt a graphics powerhouse by any means) at maybe, MAYBE 15 frames per second. thats shameful hardware design imho. just shameful.

and for what youd pay for that 27" imac, you could get an i7 desktop pc running windows 7 with a 5870 and a 27" led monitor that performace wise, would decimate that imac.

again, i understand why macs are cool. like i said, i dig them myself. but in 2009, theres just no reason to run anything but windows 7 imho if you can only choose 1 os to run..
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

See, this is what I was talking about in the beginning. Seriously guys, this is silly. Mac users are mac users and PC users are PC users and we all need to drop this "discussion."

We can keep the thread going re the original poster, talking about what we use and why, or I can lock it because I, and most people, are completely tired of the "Macs vs PC" discussions.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    you brits have a twisted way with words man. LOL
    Hah thats rich coming from a country that steals our language and then messes it up by spelling words incorrectly. I mean, whats up with using a "Z" when its meant to be an "S" . Analyse not Analyze ..!

Bloody Americans with your hamburgers and Hershey bars and Nylons coming over here and stealing our women .

Er... nurse !!!

what about how you guys pronounce aluminum? it's not aluminium.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I defy your wikipedia by stating I am an American and therefor correct
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wikipedia is based in San Francisco , therefore American in origin and going from your logic (that being American is correct) Wiki and I are therefore correct.

Get out of that one Mr Advct

[seem to have drifted off the topic somewhat]

Buy a Mac. They are pretty.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast