Do you use the crossfader? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    I exclusively use the crossfader, which I guess you can attribute to my noob-ness.
    know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It's not noob-ness at all. If it works it works. No one's gonna tell me I'm a noob cause I use a crossfader. There are tons of other reasons to call me a noob
    I use the line faders and still plaster vocals all over each other when I'm not paying enough attention

Just different sliders, knobs and buttons no right or wrong way I muchly agree
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Default Re: Do you use the crossfader?

My smartmixer requires a crossfader to be mapped actually. Well you could get away with not using it but it is helpful. The 4 deck smartmixer that is in the works does mental things when you start moving the crossfader around - no way any human could make those sorts changes on the fly by hand.

Viva la smartmixing revolution !

I use the xfader while setting up a new track - I let the track fade out with the fader and when it's silent, I slap the xfader to the other deck and reset the volume fader so I can work on EQing and levels safely "locked off" from the other deck

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    My smartmixer requires a crossfader to be mapped actually. Well you could get away with not using it but it is helpful. The 4 deck smartmixer that is in the works does mental things when you start moving the crossfader around - no way any human could make those sorts changes on the fly by hand.
    I'm intrigued... want to share?
    Last edited by janzak; 11-19-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

I was actually having a moment the other day wondering about the use of the XFader, I mainly mix using the vertical faders and always have the cross fader centered, that way I can control the independent volumes of each track in the mix and be close to the EQ's so the two tracks blend together seemlessly, I usually like to have both tunes in the mix for a good amount of time and like to switch and cut the two up to add a touch more rhythm and personality to the mix, I usually cut a track out with the vertical faders but the issue I found was that your overall volume diminishes slightly when you cut a track out of the mix for a beat so(time for some punctuation), I started using the XFader as well, I have it set to the curve that is quieter in the centre and full at either end and use both hands to blend my tunes in (using both vert and X faders) eventually both tunes are hard in the mix and I can cut either tune out with the X fader without loosing overall volume whilst still in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Ninja View Post
    the issue I found was that your overall volume diminishes slightly when you cut a track out of the mix for a beat so(time for some punctuation), I started using the XFader as well, I have it set to the curve that is quieter in the centre and full at either end and use both hands to blend my tunes in (using both vert and X faders) eventually both tunes are hard in the mix and I can cut either tune out with the X fader without loosing overall volume whilst still in the mix.
    try setting the curve the other way, instead of the gentle curve, use the harder curve?

more like this (one i use, and i sometimes use faders the way you described);

instead of this (which is what i assume you're using?);

the VCI100 has a knob on the back to do this, or you can change it in traktor. the beauty of the top one is that you can cut a track in/out in a similar way to cutting when scratching

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Now i have my Xone 4D i tried switching of the xfader but i just cant get used to not using it, I EQ tracks exclusively in my headphones then slowly bring the volume channel of the deck I am mixing in with the xfader in the centre already, once I am happy the tracks are sitting nicely, as Sebastian said i slowly bring the volume up on track coming in and gradually drop the one going out, along with fx and gradually fade it out using the xfader, this is how I have always mixed even without eq's but then i used to keep the volume of the deck coming in lower rather than putting it up full and using the eq's instead

hopefully some of that made sense lol!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

See, and I had the opposite reaction when I was forced to using the volume faders at a gig cause one night I got really drunk and kinda broke the mixer's crossfader (whoops)

I'd find the curve of the volume faders to be a lot less controll-able to me than the crossfader with the volume at a set level, with small tweaks here and there.

To each their own, right?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    See, and I had the opposite reaction when I was forced to using the volume faders at a gig cause one night I got really drunk and kinda broke the mixer's crossfader (whoops)

I'd find the curve of the volume faders to be a lot less controll-able to me than the crossfader with the volume at a set level, with small tweaks here and there.

To each their own, right?
    Think your right volume faders to me are less subtle than an x fader, but that might be because i make sure to EQ first..

and yes to each their own

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234