Do you use the crossfader? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I use the xfdr for chicago hard house style mixing. Use it for super silky smooth transitions. I use it when I scratch, I just love the xfdr.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Honestly, I don't know if it is because of some genre styles (mostly techno, house, minimal) but I have seen many djs play from up close, from big name djs to regular local djs and I cant remember the last time I saw someone use the corss fader regularly for mixing. Plus adding all the vids I have seen from big djs playing I still cant find an example of a dj who regularly uses xdafer. I am not counting scratch djs, or hip hop, just the genres I spoke is what I know.
    Does anyone have an example?
    Last edited by alien2k; 11-18-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm not a big name DJ by any stretch of the imagination, but I always use the crossfader, sometimes in conjunction with volume faders, for mixing EDM. But, like I said, I'm obviously an exception
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

My personal oppinion is that at sometime in the learning curve most djs find that the control from an x curve is very small. Specially if beatmatching is not an issue anymore you can focus in nicer things. Tracks stop being just one big fade and you can subdivide your track in 3 bands (for a 3 band mixer), and start to mix frequncies rather that tracks.
    I bealive that most djs that play Techno, house or similar genres like that. Just to be very general what most Djs do is mix in the highs first then the mids, cut the bass from the sounding track and bring the bass up from the new track. That would be the most common mixing style I have seen.

The x curve would never allow you to do much. That is my personal opinion based on what I have seen during my djing years.

Tech Convert

I'm currently using a Korg Zero4 and this allows me to program the xfader curve in my computer, which has allowed for some really cool stuff in track blending. So I use both the line faders and xfader depending on which blend I'm going for in the tracks.

There you go... +1 add to confusion.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I exclusively use the crossfader, which I guess you can attribute to my noob-ness.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Default to cross fade or not to cross fade that is the question lol

I use the cross fader and the lines sometimes the eq really depends on what i am doing with my other hand. I don't think there a wrong or right way it whatever you fell comfortable with and the style of music your spinnin.

DOWN|3E4T out

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I do all my mixing on the crossfader and I don't scratch. I've always used it, and I think a well adjusted crossfader blends a LOT smoother than line faders.

But I'm a minority in this.
    that makes two of us

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    I exclusively use the crossfader, which I guess you can attribute to my noob-ness.
    It's not noob-ness at all. If it works it works. No one's gonna tell me I'm a noob cause I use a crossfader. There are tons of other reasons to call me a noob
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast