Do you use the crossfader? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm also using only the linefaders and not the crossfader. But that also has to do something with the layout of my mixer (VCM-600, the crossfader is just in a really bad place). I really like simple crossfder stuff like cutting and some crabs, but I believe I don't miss out on something, because I'm more of an EQ guy now, especially with my four decks and mastering in Ableton nowadays...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

I dont scratch and I definitely use it.

But are you talking about the device or the function itself. I used the xfader alot when I only had my BCR (all nobs). I use it for straight mixing . Like situations when I want to bring in something at exactly 25% and not go over that amount for a certain point in a song...kinda like a wall (that is just one example for me)
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Student

I use faders mostly.. when I try to use the crossfader for cuts it feels so unnatural cos I'm not used to it xD

I have used the x fader since the days of using 1210's and scratching, nowadays i don't scratch or do anything remotely turntabalist but I still use it out of habit, currently getting into using the upfaders, but i still slip back to use it.

heard on the Xone 4D you can switch it off, so i might just try that and see how it goes.

Tech Wizard

I too hardly ever Scratch, but i allways use the crossfader, ever since the days where adjusting the curve wasn´t an option.
    And then i need the second hand to do somthing else, like Eq, triggering something, holding a drink...

I blend tracks with the crossfader. As I venture further into 4 Deck territory, I try to use the volume faders more, but this way I always end up wishing for another hand or two.

I made my first DJing attempts as a 15yr-old hip hop head, trying to scratch on crappy belt driven TTs and a no name mixer... I always dreamed of clicking away with one of these fancy Vestax xfaders. Now that I have one, right here in my VCI, I owe to my past-me to make good use of it.
    Everytime you hit SYNC, an old paradigm dies a little.
    Setup: MBP 13", Audio Kontrol 1, VCI 100 1.3, Maschine, Traktor Pro 1.2.2

Tech Guru

I only mix two decks most of the time so I tend to use the crossfader often. I find going from side to side feels more natural then up and down.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Mentor

I can understand why someone would PREFER to use volume faders rather than a crossfader to mix from one track to another, but I can't understand why it would be BETTER.
    Can anyone educate me on this one?

you have more control mixing with the vol faders, you get control over each channels volume independently. say the song you are mixing out of hits a quiet part and you want to raise that channels vol with completing the mix out. or say the song you are mixing into hits an unexpected loud part, if you hands are on the vol faders then you can make adjustments that much quicker. mixing with the crossfader to do that you have to reach back up to the faders.

this is with dj mixers, with midi controllers, the crossfader has more uses IMO because you can dual map it for other things. I really don't like mixing in the box though.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

I used the crossfader to cut in my line faders at preset levels, so literally like a 3-way switch between any left channels, any right channels and all channels; I've never felt comfortable throwing a line fader up without throwing it all the way so I guess that's how I compensated years ago

I guess to add to charo's points that with a crossfader you can't run both channels off the curve, i.e. both channels at 80% (as opposed to 100% and 80%) which in the situations mentioned such as quiet/loud part of tracks can be handy

All personal preference though I guess as every DJ I've met has a slightly different style!
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast