Complete (apc40 only) traktor pro mapping - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    The APC 40 isn't a good controller for Traktor, the layout is very odd for Traktor use, it is meant for Ableton for a reason... I would suggest looking at other options.
    The APC40 is very odd...but I wouldn't so quickly cross it off for Traktor use. I've been working around with my own mapping with 4 decks (transport, cues, beatjump, loops, beatgrids) and mixer (volume, EQs, gain, filters, no FX) for a month or so and it's really grown on me.

The issue with the APC40 and Traktor is that Traktor's layout doesn't naturally map to the APC40 like it does for the VCI-100 or any other midi controller that mimics a decks + mixer control layout; this is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

The advantage is that mapping out the APC40 really makes you think abstractly about your workflow. Mapping the APC40 is really like mapping out a midi keyboard controller like the Oxygen 8 or the Novation SLs...except that you get colored LEDs on your keys for feedback and the rectangular grid layout gives you an opportunity to group functionality in two dimensions. Moreover, the sheer number of buttons means you can map damn near everything in Traktor for 4 decks without a lot of confusion.

The disadvantage is that now you've got to think a bit harder about your workflow because the decks + mixer concept isn't made plain. This means you have to make a choice about what parts of your workflow to prioritize.

The real problems that I've found with the APC40 are that a) the default midi operation really sucks. In the default mode, some of the buttons have hard-coded behaviors that can't be overridden. To fix this, I've used ChucK to initialize the APC40 into a different state (though you could use Bome's, Midi Patch Bay, Max, Pd, etc to do the same) b) The fader section is really cramped if you have large hands or don't have the most delicate touch; it's pretty easy to thwack on the wrong fader down there if you're doing quick movements (at least for me).

Outside of not having a lot of time lately, the only thing holding me up from posting my tsi has been its dependence on an external midi app to get the APC40 in a reasonable state.

I'm in the process of updating the very basic mapping I've had up on the forum for some time now. I'm setting myself a deadline of end of November.

It will have all hotcues mapped, all 4 fx banks with adv/chained modes, and then eqs/filters. Key/panning/looping controls probably going to be part of it too.

Like Xonetacular said, if you want to use the APC40, it may be worthwhile to make your own mapping. That way, you can always tweak the mapping to serve your style. I understand other controllers may be more intuitively laid out for Traktor, but the APC40 provides enough controls to really handle everything offered in the software. My VCI-100 always seems to fall short of knobs and buttons. The Xone: DX also seems like it won't have enough controls for functions in Traktor without going really deep into modifiers. I figure its like learning to play an instrument.

I use Ableton as well, so having the APC40 for use with Traktor was something of a side-benefit for me. You should really figure out what you're looking for from a controller.
    Last edited by misa; 11-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Tech Mentor

its getting close to the end of november how about that map ?

Tech Guru

Yeah. Don't cross the APC40 off the list. I use one with TPro and it is badass without question. The key point here is that it's design requires you to think hard about how to represent the Traktor interface on the surface of the unit. It definitely has enough controls for a creative approach. It doesn't make sense to say "this or that isn't a good controller" unless it can't be programmed or has crappy components or some other fatal flaw. The APC40 is fine in that sense, plus it looks like a freakin lightbrite.

You actually don't have to use that third party app to initialize your APC. It's taken me a shit-ton of trial and error, experimenting, and headaches, but I've figured out how to make ANY button on the APC act as any button type, with full LED feedback. It's possible entirely within the TPro environment. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get the full LED rings around the knobs, but at least every knob has a simple position indicator LED, so feedback isn't a problem.

So my set-up (just to get those wheels turning) lays out 4 virtual decks on the main pad surface, each with my most used controls (pitch, hotcues, drop, loop functions, etc). The fact that the APC "remembers" the settings of each of it's 9 banks can be put to great use. I've set it up so that one bank contains the controls for two fx units, another bank controls the other two. No soft takeover, no resetting knob positions (love the endless encoders). The gains and eq's for decks A/B are always available in the the top group of eight knobs, and if I want to work with C/D I use another bank for that. One push and the controls for all four decks are there.

Live I use the APC for transport control, loops, fx selection, eq, and other basic functions, and a VCI to handle the touchy feely things like scratching, beatjumping, and fader fx. It's a good combo.

I think the trickiest part of wrangling the APC was LEDs. It's simple enough to get it to light up, but to get the LEDs under control is something else. If anyone works actively with this unit and needs help with a specific behavior, drop me a line.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

http://www.akaipro.com/apc40map?utm_...09+eNewsletter

the pdf there may help with the led feedback..especially for the knobs

Default MISA APC40 for TPro (version 0.01)

I'm attaching my preliminary TSI file for a complete mapping of the APC40. It has enough mixer/transport/fx/loop to control the parameters of Traktor Pro without additional controllers.

This is the initial mapping, and I don't have any of the LED outputs mapped yet. I may tweak some of the controls for a future point release. For now, just play around with it. I'll do a video and PDF booklet on mapped controls later on. Be aware that the TSI file has a complete export of my mappings, so there will be an additional map for VCI-100 and nanoKontrol in there as well. I assume you can simply disable them if you don't want them. I also customized the layouts and am using 4 band eq.

For now:
    CLIP LAUNCH
    first 4 rows are hotcues
    last row is play/loop active

CLIP STOP
    cue in/cue

TRACK SELECTION
    individual fx bank advanced/chained banked on lower knobs/buttons

ACTIVATOR
    sync/monitor cue

SOLO/CUE
    fx 1/2 on/off

RECORD ARM
    fx 3/4 on/off

FADERS
    volume fader/tempo

SCENE LAUNCH COLUMN
    bank top knobs/buttons 1-4

STOP ALL CLIPS
    bank top knobs/buttons 0 (default)

MASTER
    bank lower knobs/buttons for EQ control of deck 3/4

CUE LEVEL
    monitor mix (SHIFT bpm)

MASTER FADER
    monitor volume (SHIFT tempo mode)

TRACK CONTROL
    1: filter/key
    2: gain/pan
    3: loop
    4: empty
    5: deck 3/4 eq
    0: deck 1/2 eq

SHIFT
    several modifier functions

BANK SELECTION
    browser/loading

NUDGE-/+
    layout select

DEVICE CONTROL
    1-8 FX effect selection/parameters/buttons
    MASTER deck 3/4 eq and global parameters (snap, quantize, lfo reset, cruise)

XFADER
    cross fader
    Last edited by misa; 11-29-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: TSI file loaded

does any one else have problems when trying to move 3 or more faders at once?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Student

what is the form to load in my tracktor ?

Tech Student

This is the best APC40 .tsi file I have yet to fine, Great work! If you can only get the LEDs to light up, this will be a true work of art.

Thanks morie_ko

Getting the LEDs to light up isn't very difficult, but it is time consuming. I've been meaning to get around to updating the file. I'll be sure to post it when I finish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast