Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware? - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

so nobody can advise me on this?

Win 7 x64 and a run of the mill usb to serial controller, got the driver on it from win update had trouble until i actually paid attention to the how to guide :P
    its all gone swimmingly now great great firmware
    1x Allen & Heath Xone K2, 1xXone K1, Edirol PCR M1, 4x Numark TTXUSB, Audio10 and a truck load of vinyl...

Tech Convert

Hello Everyone,

Since I can hardly share my sensation with anyone around me in real life I thought I'd share my experiences with you, this is somehow a double post since I first used the thread 'Firmware 1.4' to post this but I see a lot of struggling and I thought my story could maybe contribute to success of others.

The only 'Windows person' I could find was my father who doesn't live nearby so I made a trip to combine a visit with trying to upgrade my VCI-100 after receiving the kit from DJTT.

I prepared myself by bringing a serial cable (2 times 'male' plug) but after setting up everything (opening up VCI-100 and having my laptop on the side with the instruction video) I discovered that the only port on the Windows computer was 'female' :eek: so I actually needed a different serial cable with one 'female' plug and a 'male' on the other side.
    It was too late to buy myself a different cable so I decided to take off the plug and connect the wires (2red/3orange/5green) to the 'female upgrade kit plug' without using a plug at all.

If you examine the upgrade kit closely you will see that only 3 pins are being used, there's a fourth (nr. 8) connected but it was my guess that that one is only soldered to keep the plug steady.
    It seems the 'guess' was right because after making sure the wires were connected neatly I pushed the flash button and the upgrading was successful within 30 sec. !!!
    The computer runs on Windows 7.

Make sure to take off enough plastic of the wire and make sure to push the wires into the plug deep enough without leaving any copper uncovered so the wires are connected for a 100% and won't touch one another!

So thank you DJTT for making this possible and thank you everyone else for sharing your experiences.

So my conclusion is that you shouldn't try to use anything different than what DJTT is advising you; get a 'ancient' Windows computer with a serial port and get a serial cable, simple as that and if you can't find a good cable then maybe, maybe try this way with just 3 wires.
    If you click the ? on top there's an image of the dodgy looking connection, good luck.

MOD EDIT: fixed image link.

Last edited by photojojo; 05-16-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Tech Wizard

Didn't work
    We flashed the VCI-100 (mixvibes edition). But the VCI won't start up. He stays in "boot mode" i think.

We used the newest firmware 1.4
    Renesas 4.05
    WinXP 32bit OS with usb to serial cable
    Protection was off in Renesas

Can someone please help me ?

edit : will try a normal com to com serial cable tonight, hope this will solve the problem.
    Last edited by kaos; 05-19-2011 at 05:58 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

did you try adjusting the speed using the fdtadvancedsetup.exe program that installed in the renases folder?

Try changing the delay to 1000 and increasing to 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 from there if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by photojojo; 05-19-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

No i didn't try that, but i will do today.
    Does it also work with com to com cables? i mean, the speed ?

What irritates me, is the fact that i will have to remove the small cable every time again i want to flash.

I'm pretty sure what it does is slow down the rate of the date transfer so it would probably work best with a com to com cable since it's a slower cable. I had to do it with my USB to com cable though. Not much you can do about the small cable seeing as that's how the VCI was designed.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Wizard

Thnx for your advice. Will try several things tonight. The VCI doesn't respond at all at this moment, so i am a little bit worried. Let's hope it will work again tonight

I can flash the ROM though, so he is not dead, i hope.

If it doesn't flash and the VCI is still unresponsive you might try uninstalling renases and starting over. Sometimes I think the program thinks it's in the middle of a failed update and it takes a fresh install to convince it otherwise.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Wizard

Hooray, i got it working right now! I just an old computer with a COM port on it. The bitch started up in 5 minutes, but okay, it works now

The only thing is, i want to have a classic TSI for Traktor. Not the SE version, where can i get it ?