Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware? - Page 18
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Another thing I didn't mention in your other thread is that some people have reported that if the update process gets hung up the firmware will not successfully update until the older process get stopped. In some cases people have had to uninstall and reinstall the Renases software.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i have been successful in updating the firmware after lots of issues that other users were using, such as the different ports, having the unit vertical etc. However, my main issue now is the lights come on on the vci but only for about a min then all the led's flash endlessly! Is there something i can do about this as i can't seem to use it anymore!

Tech Wizard

^^^ totally, I ordered my arcade edition two and a half weeks ago, I'm on pins and needles waiting!! And the irony is, I live in Santa Cruz, CA, which is only an hour drive away from the Techtools offices

Questions, I tried updating my VCI-100 with 1.4 but during the flashing, I cannot select a "com3" option. There are no "com" options. Help? I am running a macbook 10.6 with parallels in windows. Followed the video and nothing. Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RileySmiley View Post
    Questions, I tried updating my VCI-100 with 1.4 but during the flashing, I cannot select a "com3" option. There are no "com" options. Help? I am running a macbook 10.6 with parallels in windows. Followed the video and nothing. Thanks
    Could be a parallels issue, I'm not sure anybody's actually done it with parallels. Any chance you could do it in bootcamp? I was able to do my firmware upgrade using bootcamp and XP sp3.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I ended up using my super old windows xp with service pack 3. Had to tinker with the port settings with my usb-serial but worked flawlessly. Must be my parallels xp

Tech Wizard

UPGRADED TONIGHT WITH HOME-MADE PROGRAMMER : ALL OK!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
    wow when are they coming back in stock cant wait (sitting here biteing nails to a bloody stump)
    same here. can't wait to upgrade my VCI to something that works properly.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by alex.ketch View Post
    THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!

I did it. I finally did it. My baby is 1.3 years old now :P I may be the role model of how it was suggested that we don't do this, but I managed to update the VCI using a Mac, VMWare Fusion and a USB to Serial adapter.

I had a lot of headaches along the way but here I am, ready to tell of the things I learnt the hard way so that you don't have to.

Problem 1 (in chronological order): Rensanse Flash Development Kit software doesn't give you an option of selecting the right (or in my case ANY) COM port.

Fix: Ensure you have the right driver. The cable I got along with the upgrade kit I borrowed from Ciar2001 (as the two I was sent were most likely lost in the post due to the damned postal strike) didn't come with a driver. I tried many including the Prolific USB-Serial driver and a bucketload of others but the cable was not being recognized properly. It still gave "Error 10" under the Device Manager in windows (it had a little yellow circle with an exclamation mark). Somehow I stumbled across this file and it fixed it for me, maybe it'll work for you as well.
    Download driver here

Problem 2: Finally got it working fine, assigned it to COM port 6, hook everything up run Program Flash but get "Time Out Error 15005" in Renesans Flash Development Kit (FSD from now on)

Fix: I read that you had to put a flow control in place as the USB was too fast for the serial interface etc. So go to C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.02 and run FDTAdvanceSetup, click "Configure Serial Port", tick the box that says "Enable serial port delay fix" and enter 1000 as the delay value then click OK and close it.

Those were the two hinderances I had which may not seem much, but just that driver hunting took me at least 3 hours. But it was worth the trouble for that sweet, sweet, smexy 4th FX button
    Some good info but I still can't get mine working. I downloaded the USB-serial driver you linked to but I cant' see a setup/install file in there, only a remove driver. (I am a long time mac user, not that familiar with windows.).

Can you help explain how to actually get that driver installed?

thanks

Tech Wizard

In fact if any of you mac guys could help me out I would be most grateful.

I have a MacBook Pro core 2 duo, running VMware fusion in 10.6.3 running XP SP2. I have a cheap USB-serial cable I got on ebay, couldn't install drivers from the disc as it was too small for the slot-load CD tray. I have tried installing two drivers including the "prolific" drivers as mentioned here, I don't seem to be able to verify if it works. I open device manager and can see COM1, COM2 and something like printer (it's crashed so I have to restart it...ugh).

Which physical USB port should I use on the macbook pro for the serial cable? (2xUSB ports on left of laptop, none on right).

how can I verify if the drivers are installed correctly? should I see it come and go in device manager when I plug/unplug it? does it need to be connected to the VCI when I do this or just to the USB port end?

any help much appreciated.