Looking for DJ Table or Booth Alternatives to IKEA hacks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

You're better off building your own. Keep in mind that the monitors sound will differ from material to material. For example, I had purchase a decent looking table from ikea, once I had all my gear setup on the table the overall sound was garbage. I previously had a different table prior that provided a much more pleasing sound. I researched this phenomenon and there are limited information about it, all I can say is that there is definitely a difference in sound. I decided to build my own table using the information as a reference guide as to which type of material offers good sound and found that you don't want something too hard nor too porous, MDF is an excellent choice as mentioned above. I'm just about done with my custom build, the piece that has a glossy finish is where the monitors will sit, all those pieces were individually cut to various lengths, wood glued, brad nailed, sanded, stained, coated 2x with polyurethane, and finally finished with a coat of crystal clear epoxy that hardens to a liquid glass finish. The piece with the xone92 is almost done, I've cut out the mixers dimensions so that it would fit flat and flush within the audio workstation compared to just sitting on top taking up a lot of estate.

Last edited by tekki; 03-28-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Tech Wizard

I had to cut out a fitting for the protruding line inputs, used a Dremel for the rough cut and then cleaned up the cut using a 3/4 chisel. It was difficult working with the workstations material due to the fact that it was of fairly thick particle board. Angling the chisel for a slightly deeper slice would cause blowouts at the cuts finish area as shown in the photo. Didn't really matter though as I planned on putting a neat trim around the mixer, the trim is 4 pieces with a 45 degree miter cut. I'll provide photos of that later. The cut for the mixer was done by using a jigsaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tekki; 03-28-2015 at 10:23 AM.

I have 1 of these for my gigs:

It's 1800 wide and so fits 4 x CDJ2000NXS and 1 x DJM2000 ... It's what I used when I did production for Carl Cox & Eric Powell's Winery Gig last month.

Not cheap but looks awesome and can hold anything.
    Last edited by tekki; 03-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Move to Show your setup forum.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I have an Odyssey TT table and I just added an IKEA(Parts) built shelf on top of it. I just gathered the parts and improvised on what I could get my hands on when I was in IKEA.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Freddy D View Post

I have an Odyssey TT table and I just added an IKEA(Parts) built shelf on top of it. I just gathered the parts and improvised on what I could get my hands on when I was in IKEA.
    I feel that you're really wasting all that foam by placing them like so.. They'd be better use if they were placed directly at the reflective points of your monitors rather than behind. But more than that, those foam thingys do just about nothing other than address high frequencies. So if you've got a setup in your room or studio and the overall sound is too bright (piercing which ultimately causes ear fatigue), the foam squares may help that aspect by just a hair. What you need for addressing certain room modes such as nulls, flutter echo, slap backs, etc. are sound panels at least 2.5 inches thick depending on the type of absorption material used. So if you've placed the foam squares behind your monitors where a bass port is present, take em down, those foam is doing absolutely nothing to reduce unfocused low-end.

I can't understand what is so difficult about understanding the difference between acoustic treatment and sound deadening.

Tech Wizard

Also if you want more truth about how to really sound deaden your room so that sound does not leak out nor leak in from and in your room, read a book titled "Build it like the Pros". Inspired by his knowledge, Ive build my own studio with a STC rating of 61. With a STC rating of 60-65, you can have a full on band rockin drums, guitar, and other instruments loud and it'll be nothing but a whisper outside that room. Alone in a room with a STC of that range allows any sound within that room to be quite amplified, a simple rubbing of a nylon jacket is incredibly loud and detailed, you can literally almost count the threads just by the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    I feel that you're really wasting all that foam by placing them like so.. They'd be better use if they were placed directly at the reflective points of your monitors rather than behind. But more than that, those foam thingys do just about nothing other than address high frequencies. So if you've got a setup in your room or studio and the overall sound is too bright (piercing which ultimately causes ear fatigue), the foam squares may help that aspect by just a hair. What you need for addressing certain room modes such as nulls, flutter echo, slap backs, etc. are sound panels at least 2.5 inches thick depending on the type of absorption material used. So if you've placed the foam squares behind your monitors where a bass port is present, take em down, those foam is doing absolutely nothing to reduce unfocused low-end.

I can't understand what is so difficult about understanding the difference between acoustic treatment and sound deadening.
    ok, advice taken on the foam thank you sir.

I was just trying to help out a fellow member on the forum in regards to his table, didn't know I was going to get scolded and schooled on my foam

Advice taken though, I apologize deeply on everything in my picture is wrong and not to your liking.

I will be careful from now on on what I post.

Oh I also apologize for not understanding the difference between acoustic treatment and sound deadening. I'm sure your set up is very nice and superior to idiots such as myself, sorry again sir.

I see some Lego-Sheng Young Figure...

Tech Wizard

i realized i was a bit harsh. sincere apology

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12