Common VCI-100 Firmware Questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Error No 15005: 'COM3' read time out
    Unable to get acknowledgement after the download main kernel
    A "COM read time out" sounds like the host computer failing to get some input from the VCI. There are a bunch of settings for flow control on the serial input ports on the PC side that might solve that problem:

Control Panel/System/Ports(Com&LPT)/Com3 right click, select "Properties"/Port Settings/Flow Control

What do you think Midifidler? A com port issue? I'm handwaving here.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 08-23-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    @MicPhono

If it is in boot mode (no LEDs on) then you are a step ahead of Mycole.
    After you get this error try power cycling the vci with everything connected by removing the USB from the PC then plugging it in again, then try to flash it again.

Also confirm that COM 1 is the com port is definatley the serial port you have connected the uprgrade kit to. Though if you are using COM1 you probably only have 1...
    I confirmed that the serial cable works and I am connected to the correct COM port by accessing another device using the serial connection.

I have also tried power cycling the device using the switch as well as unplugging the USB from the PC and then plugging it in again.

Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.

Default Last step trouble in the update...

I got to the last step where you press "program flash," but I keep coming up with this error message. I've tried 4 different USB ports, made sure everything is secure, and have followed the instruction video word by word. My vci is just sitting there gutted open until I can solve this... Can anyone help?

FDT API initialised: version 4, 02, 00, 008
    Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM3'
    Configuration:
    'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
    Opening port 'COM3' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Error No 15060: Error while opening the port
    Error No 15026: Unable to open comms
    Error No 15061: Error while closing the port

Quote Originally Posted by caliborn_g View Post
    FDT API initialised: version 4, 02, 00, 008
    Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM3'
    Configuration:
    'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
    Opening port 'COM3' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Error No 15060: Error while opening the port
    Error No 15026: Unable to open comms
    Error No 15061: Error while closing the port
    I got this message previously when I was using the incorrect COM port. Check your Device Manager under Ports (COM &LPT) to see which COM ports are available on your system. You can get to your device manager by going to the Control Panel ->System, click on the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager. By using a COM port listed here, I believe you should at least get past this issue.

Hope this helps...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    A "COM read time out" sounds like the host computer failing to get some input from the VCI. There are a bunch of settings for flow control on the serial input ports on the PC side that might solve that problem:

Control Panel/System/Ports(Com&LPT)/Com3 right click, select "Properties"/Port Settings/Flow Control

What do you think Midifidler? A com port issue? I'm handwaving here.
    No luck with flow control, but the tip is appreciated. I will try it out without the USB-serial, I think that may be causing a problem. Some google searches indicated using the renesas flash software with usb-serial cables have caused issues for other development platforms. And now I remember why I was better at analog....

A few quick notes: We are all entering new territory here so I appreciate your patience while everyone figures out any possible variations between systems. With that being said, Midifidler, do you think its best if people start new threads for specific problems/questions?

I can confirm that Vestax has reported that there have been random results with serial to USB cables and renesas. Can anyone that has had trouble with these cables try a desktop with a serial connection?

Quote Originally Posted by MicPhono View Post
    I got this message previously when I was using the incorrect COM port. Check your Device Manager under Ports (COM &LPT) to see which COM ports are available on your system. You can get to your device manager by going to the Control Panel ->System, click on the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager. By using a COM port listed here, I believe you should at least get past this issue.

Hope this helps...

MIcPhone, were you able to then successfully upgrade your vci-100 when the right com port was selected? What cable did you use?

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Hi All,

I have been experimenting with a USB serial cable and found that it will not program (failing on error 15024) when you either have the wrong serial port selected, or you have the number of the serial port is too high.

I found that when I assigned a COM port number of 9 or greater the update would fail on error (15024).
    USB update cables are often automatically assigned high numbers so this could be an issue for some people.

To check for either of these problems follow these steps.

If you are using a USB serial cable plug it in to a USB port

Now run device manager, if you don't know how to do this follow this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager

Now expand the ports branch,
    (See thumbnail 1)

If you are using a built in serial port its is most likely assigned to COM 1,
    Check that there are no ports with the same number, if another device is assigned the same COM port number you will have to change it to use another number.

If you are using a USB serial cable then it will appear in the list called something like "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port", if you are confused about which one it is remove your USB-serial cable from the USB port, then you should see that device disappear from the Ports tree.

Now right-click and open the properties of the Port you are using, and the click the port setting tab. (See thumbnail 2)

Check that your settings are the same as in thumbnail 2. If they are not change them.

Now if you need to change the serial port number click the advanced button. (See thumbnail 3)

You can now change the Com port number that is assigned to the serial port in the drop down menu. Select a number in the range of 2 - 8 that is not in use.

Click ok in the advanced settings window, then ok in the properties window.

If you are using a USB serial cable unplug it then plug it back in to the same USB port.

Now repeat the instructions in Ean's video.
    Last edited by midifidler; 08-24-2008 at 01:05 AM.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

@SGB

It might help you if you change the default Baud rate in the Renesas FDK to 9600.

@Ean

I will start some threads with the different errors as the title

Exclamation Successfully flashed

Just an update:

I was successful finally. I bought a Gigaware USB to Serial cable from RadioShack. The thing worked without having to use the CD. Windows XP had a driver for it already. I just checked which COM port it used in Device Manager and selected that port when I used the Renesas.

I now have one remaining issue! My left jog wheel is always Red. The center plater tiggers when I touch it, but it never turns blue and doesn't allow me to pitch shift. The sensor LED above it is always red as well. Could I have missed a step when putting my unit back together? Any tips?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast