12 or so years of setup evolution...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 12 or so years of setup evolution...

I've not posted any pic's of my setup on here so I figured as I've just moved house and got stuff set back up now would be an ideal time to take some pictures!

A bit of history- started off buying my first decks back in around 2001, they were a pair of Synergy CD2000 cd decks, these were essentially just a top playing CD player with a pitch control & pitch bend buttons. No jog-wheel, and the Cue button had no memory so you could cue a track up and listen to where it was (the stutter) but if you then pressed play you had to re-cue the track. I've never seen another pair of these in the wild and almost every Google search result seems to be of my mentioning them so they obviously never took off, but either way I still have them as I have trouble letting go of DJ gear!

I had these with an old fashioned 4 channel mixer (not a DJ mixer), had needle-type level meters, cross & up faders and that was it (which I still have). I 'upgraded' to Phonic 4 channel mixer soon after (again not really an ideal DJ mixer), this had 6-band EQ's but they only affected the master output (which I also still have...).

Anyway this was what I learned all the basics on, buying CD singles until I ran out of money each month. After a year I added a Gemini SA600mk2 direct drive turntable so I could start playing vinyl- this was a fantastic budget turntable, inevitably tainted by the vastly inferior previous XL500 series. This is very much how my setup stayed for years (I waned in and out of DJing during this time), until eventually picking up a BCD3000 controller a few years back and really got the bug again.

This was a custom case (in progress) I made for that setup:

After a couple of months with this I decided I wanted proper decks again (the lasers were getting iffy on the CD decks so was mostly using the BCD3000) so I went out and treated myself to a pair of Pio CDJ900s and a Denon x1600 mixer, I then also acquired a pair of PDX2000mk2 turntables from my mate who had given up vinyl to go usb, and this is how my setup stayed until a couple years ago-

This was what I was working with (at our old place) a couple of years ago - Denon x1600 mixer, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2s, and 2 CDJ900s.

The stand is an Ikea job (more on that in a bit), the part the CDJs are sat on is actually anchored underneath so it's a lot more secure than it looks, but normally I just used the CDJs on the main surface and had the TTs setup upstairs.

Then when the SC2900s came out I traded in my CDJ900s for a pair- the 900s were frustratingly not the most reliable of bits of kit and I really wanted some hot-cues. The 2900s do everything the 900s did and more, so given the price I got for the 900s it was a no-brainer.

In the meantime I'd managed to pick up a 1210 M3D locally for a good price and was on the hunt for a partner for it- I eventually found a fantastic condition Mk2, which along with a Gumtree sourced SK6 battle mixer gave me a vinyl only setup upstairs, whilst the PDXs were being used in the lounge setup with the CDJs.

I then got tempted to try out DVS, Traktor being the obvious choice having the certified x1600 mixer, so I brought a brand new laptop to run it on and got the kit ordered- this is it setup for our Christmas Eve party in our lounge last year:

The lights are a basic RGB LED strip with remote control- ideal for our lounge parties.

Our last party in this house was a couple weeks ago, where my mate who has also recently started using Traktor brought his A10 & laptop down with him and we routed his outputs into the 2 spare channels on my mixer, giving us access to 2 Traktor libraries across 2 laptops and 4 channels! Was a lot of fun:

Then a couple of weeks we moved again so for the summer I have make do with a single setup until we get another proper place sorted later in the year- here is the stand all re-assembled waiting for the kit. The CDJ stands are the Citronic DJP-1 and are bloody awesome. They are fully adjustable, solid as anything, come with two different sized top-plates (that can be mounted either portrait or landscape), and can either be screwed onto a mounting surface or clamped with a heavy duty screw clamp with rubber pads. They cost around £49 each here in the UK, an absolute bargain.

Then with the kit installed:

So for the moment the 2 Vestax PDXs are packed away, along with a Gemini SA600mk2 TT, my Stanton SK6 mixer, a Citronic CDM 7:2 mixer, and my old Synergy CD-2000 CD decks and various starter mixers. (My room resembles a Tandy store circa mid 90s)

As for the current setup, I either run the two 1210s with Traktor via DVS and the 2900s with Engine, or use the 2900s in normal midi-mode with Traktor and use the 1210s for real vinyl. It's nice to have the best of both worlds in the setup, particularly as quite a few of my mixes use vinyl quite a lot.

I wasn't ever intending to use the 2900s with Traktor but they integrate so tightly with it in standard midi-mode that I've gone to using it more & more whilst freeing up the TTs to play actual vinyl.

Apologies for the poor phone pictures- a half decent camera is next on the purchase list. If you are still reading then go have a well deserved coffee!
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Tech Wizard

Fair play....

Detailed post with a real transition / story between set-ups.

I like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg798 View Post
    Fair play....

Detailed post with a real transition / story between set-ups.

I like it!!
    Cheers!

I always enjoy reading how others have evolved their setups over the years so thought I'd do something similar.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Very cool !
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Very cool !
    Cheers chap, I see you're a fellow x1600 user!

Tech Mentor

Very nice. I'm thinking very heavily about buying a pair of SC2900s now the price has dropped. it's nice to get an idea of how they look in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Very nice. I'm thinking very heavily about buying a pair of SC2900s now the price has dropped. it's nice to get an idea of how they look in use.
    They are certainly incredible value now- I don't think there are any other players out there that will give you hot cues, slip mode, and network link for anywhere near their current price. They are built extremely well too, (noticeably more so than my previous cdj 900s) and the jog wheel is the nicest I've used on any player- it is attached directly to the unit via a central spindle on the 2900 rather than the system of plastic runner wheels used on the Pioneer models. It is incredibly smooth and the tension adjust is a useful addition (I use it on a stiff setting for general mixing, then loosen it right up for spinbacks or other tricks).

I still don't think you can really compare them to the Pioneer 2000/2000nexus purely because of the full colour LED screen, but then the 2900s are less than half the price of those units.

They also work extremely well with both Traktor and with Denon's Engine software.

Tech Mentor

Cheers for that. Yep, at just under 600 quid for a pair I'll happily take em over anything else. Doesn't matter they're not 'club standard' - its not as if the skills aren't transferable or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Doesn't matter they're not 'club standard' - its not as if the skills aren't transferable or anything
    Yeah the layout, functionality, and operation are 99% identical to CDJs- anyone who came up to these after CDJs and had a familiarity problem would need their head examined!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Irrational Fear View Post
    Yeah the layout, functionality, and operation are 99% identical to CDJs- anyone who came up to these after CDJs and had a familiarity problem would need their head examined!
    Bought them. Think I'm going to need to rebuild my desk to accommodate them and everything else. New mixer next!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast