torq vs vestax vci-100se
    Tech Wizard

Default torq vs vestax vci-100se

I in the process of deciding on my dj setup.I'm looking at m-audio's torq and the vestax vci-100se.can you guys tell me the pros and cons of each so I can make an educated decision?

Tech Wizard

I found the Torq very very plasticy when I had a go on one. The VCIs are much more solid.

Tech Wizard

From what I understand the torq has not more bells and wistles, wouldnt this allow me to do more with creativity?

Tech Mentor

Default Torq

Do you mean the software?Or an m-audio controller?
    I used Torq for a while but didn't really like it, I now use the sound card with my VCI-100.
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

Tech Wizard

I was referring to the controller...Im so lost on what to get.I have also looked at the numark stealth

Tech Mentor

Default Torq

I have used Torq 1.52 which is ok when you put some time in to it, I have not used the Torq Xponent so it's unfair to say what it's like, but I went for months between a vci-100 and a vci-300 and when cashflow came back to me i tested the water with the vci-100 and i am quite happy with it.

I play R'n'B and it works out well, I don't rely on beat grids that much and mix off my ear and the pitch bend and It's a good purchase for me, I also play some house and it's amazing for that when you put a little effort in.
    Last edited by mr.raw; 10-14-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Wish I could spell.
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

Tech Convert

The Torq software is very underrated IMHO. I don't use it often but when I have ,it's been flawless and a pleasure to use. It also rewires into Ableton beautifully, supports VSTs, solid beatgridding, and a lot more. Despite it's 'dj in a box' look and marketing campaigns, it's quite powerful.

Personally I'm moving to Ableton though and going to use the Launchpad with my Remote SL.

Tech Wizard

good luck being spontaneous in ableton.... or wanting to play a track live that you hadnt warped yet

My feelings on Torq is that it is a good intro to using digital software to dj... but thats it! It is honestly just not up to par if you want to have solid software, and also all of the equipment that goes with it is junkie, cheap, and really toy-ish. I had Torq as soon as it was brought onto the market years ago, and i kept it u[p until Feb09. I was already using Traktor, but i was still testing out M-Audio to see if Torq 1.5 would be better than previous versions, but to my disappointment it never really got any better, its still way behind in all of what it does... I don't wanna bash the stuff to hard because i did use it and it helped make my use of traktor and my full transition to digital djing very easy, but i would suggest not wasting the money on it.

Secondly i had M-Audio's Xponent for like a month when it first came out. The equipment is really crappy, and again, very toy like! Spend your money wisely and get something that is built solid. I can only tell you that i have used the Xponnent and i thought it was junk. Ean seems to back the VCI with lots of confidence so i would really suggest going with that. Personally i Use the Xone 1D, but its not really something for you if you are looking to do internal mixing.