For those few of us who scratch and do tricks... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DJLp View Post
    Found info! Check out this post from the NI forum.

As you know, with the new firmware version (1.2) of the VCI-100 it is possible to scratch nearly without any ramp up issues. So Vestax has finally done a good job. Now NI, it's your turn to do the rest.

Because STILL it does not really behave like a CDJ. For example if you turn the wheel backwards and release the platter abruptly, the track will first slow down and then play at normal speed. You can try this also with your mouse. The behavior is equal to it.
    For a real CDJ behavior there should be an instant release of the track as soon as the platter on the VCI-100 has been released. So as soon as the 'Scratch Off' midi command is sent, the track should play at normal speed without speeding up when moving too fast forwards.
    What it should be like can be seen when you press PLAY while holding the track on the VCI-100/the waveform with the mouse.
    Then, if you move the track and release it abruptly, the track will play immediatly - what it does not if you haven't pressed the PLAY button while holding the waveform.

Therefore, I propose to integrate a feature like start and stop time in T3.3 just like the CDJ 1000s support it (don't they). The stop time could simulate a turntable that has been turned off.

Another good feature would be if the wheel behaved more like a real turntable. I'll try to explain what I mean with an "algorithm":

Deck X should NOT be in play mode for this. I'm turning the wheel on the VCI-100 ('Deck Scratch On' + 'Deck Scratch' = Track moves). If I release the platter now ('Deck Scratch Off'), the track should smoothly get slower until the track completely stops - just like you turn and release a vinyl on a turntable which will not stop at once, but will get slower and slower.

While doing this, as soon as you touch the platter again the VCI-100 sends 'Scratch ON' and the track should stop immediatly. If you press play, the track should start with the speed you've set in start time.

These methods include CDJ and vinyl aspects as well and the end-user could decide weather to have nearly vinyl or more CDJ feeling.

So Native Instruments, do you think this can be done? I'm sure many would love these features as it could be used with any controller that supports scratching, too!

**I invited this dude to join our forum too. Looks like he gets it (much better than I do anyway). We'll see.
    Whoever that dude is, hes right - though im pretty sure there is a user fix that i should be able to do to fix this. Wont be long, ill have the 1.2firmware and ill be able to make a proper fix

Hmm, i'll probably get on this as i get home since i've been looking a way to get the scratching better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanrii View Post
    Hmm, i'll probably get on this as i get home since i've been looking a way to get the scratching better.
    It shouldnt be too hard, capture the scratch off in bomes midi and make it send out another note that hits the play button. Easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    It shouldnt be too hard, capture the scratch off in bomes midi and make it send out another note that hits the play button. Easy fix
    And when the track is playing and you hit the jog (accidentally) it hits play -> stops the track. :P I think it requires a bit more than that but shouldn't be too hard.

And when the track is playing and you hit the jog (accidentally) it hits play -> stops the track. :P I think it requires a bit more than that but shouldn't be too hard.
    You make it sound like i am trying to make the jog work like a giant play button.

If you hit the jog accidentally it still sends a Scratch on before it hits the play button, which is only sent on the release of the jog.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 08-19-2008 at 04:00 AM.

You make it sound like i am trying to make the jog work like a giant play button.

If you hit the jog accidentally it still sends a Scratch on before it hits the play button, which is only sent on the release of the jog.
    Yeah, but I remember correctly scratching doesn't release the play button = it stays on -> scratch off sends note -> traktor receives another play button message which is now actually stop if the deck is playing.

Atleast that's the default, I can't remember if there's separate commands in traktor for stop and play. If there is, then it's easy of course.

Yeah, but I remember correctly scratching doesn't release the play button = it stays on -> scratch off sends note -> traktor receives another play button message which is now actually stop if the deck is playing.

Atleast that's the default, I can't remember if there's separate commands in traktor for stop and play. If there is, then it's easy of course.
    My theory is if that doesnt work then make it press the play button twice(both with the same midi time stamp would be preferable), either way i'm sure the answer lies in the play button and release of the jog.

My theory is if that doesnt work then make it press the play button twice(both with the same midi time stamp would be preferable), either way i'm sure the answer lies in the play button and release of the jog.
    I agree that with play button you can get the start immediate and remove slow start up with traktor. Maybe feedback from traktor is required to make it work in every situtation. But I'll check the options in few hours.

Tech Wizard

Well you CAN scratch on the VCI as is. It's the intensity of what you're doing that will have to be curved. I can scratch all day and pretty much get the sound and feel that I want. Now when it comes to "cutting" (equivalent to hitting the pause/cue 3 button in rhythm) or flashing (repeating a word or phrase on each turntable in rhythm...again something else that can be done with buttons) that's where the Traktor falls off.

Once you pull the jog wheel back AND forth with any siginificant, rhythmic speed it tough to do because of Traktor's software. Now just to do a jugga-jugga-jugga or even some more concentrated patterns, I (we) can do those now with the software and the VCI as is. In Traktor's defense, it takes some practice too. Even though CDJ's immitate turntables out of the box (now), it took time to get there. People have been mixing on CD since the 80's. However, the scratching didn't get in good on CDJ's until the late 90's (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). So, we are @ the front of this new technology. It will get better.

But if you can't scratch now, keep practicing. Aside from what I described above, I'm happy with what the VCI and Traktor CAN do right now. Once I invest in a web cam, I'll post some video of me goofing off.

Quote Originally Posted by DJLp View Post
    Well you CAN scratch on the VCI as is. It's the intensity of what you're doing that will have to be curved. I can scratch all day and pretty much get the sound and feel that I want. Now when it comes to "cutting" (equivalent to hitting the pause/cue 3 button in rhythm) or flashing (repeating a word or phrase on each turntable in rhythm...again something else that can be done with buttons) that's where the Traktor falls off.

Once you pull the jog wheel back AND forth with any siginificant, rhythmic speed it tough to do because of Traktor's software. Now just to do a jugga-jugga-jugga or even some more concentrated patterns, I (we) can do those now with the software and the VCI as is. In Traktor's defense, it takes some practice too. Even though CDJ's immitate turntables out of the box (now), it took time to get there. People have been mixing on CD since the 80's. However, the scratching didn't get in good on CDJ's until the late 90's (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). So, we are @ the front of this new technology. It will get better.

But if you can't scratch now, keep practicing. Aside from what I described above, I'm happy with what the VCI and Traktor CAN do right now. Once I invest in a web cam, I'll post some video of me goofing off.
    In Traktors defence midi just doest offer enough messages per second to be able to keep up with intense scratching, midi was never made for scratching with its just a byproduct of its open and simple nature. You can kind of think of this like the first turntables, they wernt that crash hot for scratching and stuff either. In time though, especially with high definition midi so close, emulated vinyl will feel very much like vinyl.

So save your pennies people if you really want to scratch. Wait it out for HD midi or products that are coming out from manufactures that say they will upgrade to HD midi when it comes out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast