afxz' Essentials.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default afxz' Essentials.

Hi guys, been posting here a while (well, pretty much exclusively in the record-shopping thread), but just thought I'd throw up a picture for my early 2014 set-up!

The goal in the next 12 months is to add 2x 1210MKG's (tired of constantly dealing with my M3D's pitch faders) and a nice pair of Adams A7X speakers. I'm also moving location so I'm hoping to set-up your typical IKEA Expedit set-up, hopefully with a raised-shelf to get the set-up at a decent height!

I'll post here as it happens!

Very nice

Banned

That setup you got out there looks pretty awesome. One thing i'd like to ask you guys. How you manage to get that sort of picture in low light. I have used a digital cam but never got anything close. The picture in low light always seems to come out a bit blurry.

How do you plan to add a raised shelf to the Expedit? I currently have one and find it to be to low but don't want something that looks tacky or just thrown on top.

Nice set up by the way.

Tech Guru

Nice and clean setup.

Xone 92 looks lovely! Adam A7X is a very good future purchase, be going for the 5's myself soon.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Nice and clean setup.

Xone 92 looks lovely! Adam A7X is a very good future purchase, be going for the 5's myself soon.
    Adam are definitely where my curiosity leads me... like their aesthetic and novel tweeter concept Time to say goodbye to the (out of shot) KRK's, anyway!

The cart set-up on the above picture is actually new as well, but I didn't think it was worth mentioning the OP. I've got the Nightclub MK2 Special-Elliptical styluses set to the (louder) MK1 Nightclub cart. Think I've found my ideal Ortofon pairing! I've spent all these years on Spherical styluses for my back-cueing and general wear-and-tear... relistening to all my old favourites through an Elliptical with the 92's headroom is bliss! Everything the X92 puts out seems to come out of the speakers on a gust of warm air.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Adam are definitely where my curiosity leads me... like their aesthetic and novel tweeter concept Time to say goodbye to the (out of shot) KRK's, anyway!

The cart set-up on the above picture is actually new as well, but I didn't think it was worth mentioning the OP. I've got the Nightclub MK2 Special-Elliptical styluses set to the (louder) MK1 Nightclub cart. Think I've found my ideal Ortofon pairing! I've spent all these years on Spherical styluses for my back-cueing and general wear-and-tear... relistening to all my old favourites through an Elliptical with the 92's headroom is bliss! Everything the X92 puts out seems to come out of the speakers on a gust of warm air.
    Yeah do like the look of the Adam's, nice and flat response, and the ribbon tweeter looks lovely too. Though to be honest think anything would be better than my krk's, hate the bass response on them, its just lies.

Yeah wouldn't mind testing out an Elliptical stylus, got to say I do like my Shure M35s' they sound really nice and sound good on a big system, just wish they were slightly louder, think they only have a 5mv output if I remember rightly.

Have to say rather jealous of the 92, would love to own one, especially the rotary model.

Oh and with the expedit, just put some capita legs on the bottom, raises it up to the right height, and in my opinion looks a bit neater than adding a shelf on top.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

92 is DA BEST...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Yeah wouldn't mind testing out an Elliptical stylus, got to say I do like my Shure M35s' they sound really nice and sound good on a big system, just wish they were slightly louder, think they only have a 5mv output if I remember rightly.

Oh and with the expedit, just put some capita legs on the bottom, raises it up to the right height, and in my opinion looks a bit neater than adding a shelf on top.
    Cheers for the tip. I was leaning towards some form of extra feet for height, as well, only because adding extra shelving is more cost and slightly more clutter. I also put my monitors on separate speaker-stands or a separate wall-mounted shelf (with large Auralex Mopads, of course, to dampen all that crap out).

And yeah, if Allen & Heath mixers are your thing (and they are certainly mine), it's advisable to keep your eye on output volume of carts... A&H and certain Ortofon carts especially can be a nightmare. Ortofons run a bit quieter than the 'heavy' hitting Shure carts, especially the more popular danceclub models. I have a few records, like my old Aphex SAW ambient ones that are mastered quietly/with plenty of room, and I have to turn my 92's phono gain all the way to max!

Tech Mentor

The 92 as well as many other Xone models have insane headroom. I actually use the M447's (with Serato) which are known have increased output volume...very interesting. I actually own the 92 Rotary. The only issue I really have is how loud the cueing (button) system is. I have had to resort to using the aux1/aux2 at times to cue. The loudness with the cueing button throws off the master mix. I should mention I mix 99.99% in my headphones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast