Idea for Midi Fighters - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

That is good news. Now I know that rubber nubbins will work for the 3D as a solution for quick removal/replacement on the plate.
    Thanks again for all the info!

Now I need to find rubber spikes and a way to mount them.

With the info that the 3D is 2mm different in the assembly screws, a universal plate may not work without it looking like Swiss cheese lol. I guess for a mounting plate it wouldn't matter though.

All right, one LAST question for you Midifidler.......... I promise it's the last one

What is type of screw (length and thread) used for the assembly screws on the 4 corners? (ex: 4-40 UNC or 2mm dia.- 12mm length)

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Hey VanGogo.

The Spectra uses 12mm M3 CSK thread forming screws, the twister and 3D use 8mm M3 Pan thread forming screws.

The total length does not matter much as the screw bosses have plenty of depth in all three products, I would use a minimum of 8mm just for strength though.

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    Hey VanGogo.

The Spectra uses 12mm M3 CSK thread forming screws, the twister and 3D use 8mm M3 Pan thread forming screws.

The total length does not matter much as the screw bosses have plenty of depth in all three products, I would use a minimum of 8mm just for strength though.
    Great! Just what I needed to know. Thank you very much!

With the internal bosses being deep, I might be able to use the existing screws to mount the MFs to the plate.
    The plate is 1/4 inch, but drilling a recess(counter sink) for the screw heads will help with the length.

I have already ordered 2 - 6x15x1/4 inch 5052 aluminum plates. From here
    Freight was high unfortunately and brought the price to $25/plate. If you can source it locally you will probably save some cash.

Stick on rubber feet can be found at Radio Shack or a similar store. I haven't looked at WalMart or a large Hardware chain, but they might have them also. The small adhesive feet will put the MF at the same height as an S4 when mounted to the plate. Larger feet that mount with screws can be found here. The 1 inch tall ones would put the MF at almost mixer height I believe, and the 1.5 inch tall ones would raise the plate above a laptop for Tekki without having to make any brackets. You may have to make the plate longer than 15 inches to go over a laptop though.

I also found this device for mounting a monitor to a mic stand that I'm going to try out for mounting the plate to a stand. Since it is 4.5 x 4.5 inches it could be used for stacked or side by side MF mounting with the same screw holes. Not sure if it will take some one finger drumming on the MFs without the bracket moving, but I'm going to find out.

If it doesn't work, one of the other brackets I posted earlier should be fine. I'm thinking the round flange with a 6 inch gooseneck will work good for positioning the MFs as long as the goose neck doesn't move too much. If it does, then just the flange to a mic stand for a stable flat position I guess or the other mount for tilting the plate.

Once I get everything together, I could make a "how to" video, but it is such a simple thing to do would it really even be necessary or helpful?

image.jpg

Plates arrived today, but it's going to be next week before I can work on one.

Since I only have a Spectra at the moment, and plan to get a Twister when they come out, the first plate will be made as a fixed mounting for the 2 MFs stacked. As per my original idea.

If I don't screw up on the first plate, I will attempt a universal plate with the other one. With the option of nubbins for quick removal of a 3d.

I had a chance to work on the plates a little today. Got the corners rounded off to match the MF shape using a grinder and finished them off with a file and some sand paper (by hand).
    grinder.jpg
    Then I sanded all the sides smooth, and sanded all the edges to a small bevel to get rid of the sharp edges using a large table belt sander.
    sander.jpg
    You could accomplish the same by hand (it may take awhile) or with a hand held sander of any sort. You will just need to be very careful to get things even all the way around.

I did discover one of the plates wasn't cut square at the supplier I am going to cut this one square, and make it a shorter one, maybe make it 13.25-13.5 for the stacked orientation only. Then go back and redo the corners and edges.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 11-20-2013 at 11:40 PM.

A few pics of the progress.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Nice going man!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Nice going man!
    Thanks!

This project may take awhile as I am hesitant to drill the holes to mount the Twister without one in my possession.
    Yes I started this a bit prematurely, but once I get an idea in my head, I have to get started on it.

The next step will be to cut this plate down in size, and redo the corners. Then I'll get the mic stand mount attached.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 11-21-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Progress this week............

Cut down one of the plates for my stacked plate, and redid the corners.
    Drilled and tapped holes for the mounting bracket screws.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Next step is to cut down the bracket screws so they are flush with the top of the plate.
    Then I am going to wait for a Twister before I drill the mounting screw holes. After that I am going to bead blast it for a even dull finish, and paint it black.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 11-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234