Unlocking the Maschine Studio Screens - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    If I remember right, CDJs got Traktor info via HID so you guys might get a lead from there.
    true, even though it was only track info, i dont believe there were any waveforms invlved. but..... it did send some form of the track browser which we're going to look into, because that track browser sent info both ways between traktor and the cdj, so thats a good thing.

--edit, actually i checked, and yeah the cdjs do display like a zoomed out overall waveform.
    Last edited by 031999; 10-16-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Stop giving me potential reasons to buy the Studio! I already have the MK2!

Tech Guru

I'm really surprised that no one has pursued this already. After the Traktor/CDJ HID release I thought people would've jumped at the opportunity to snoop the HID connection.

I don't doubt that NI will eventually incorporate a built in screen into future products I just have a hard time imagining where they'd fit it in. If they decide to go the modular route (X1, F1) they might have to change the form factor (taller, wider). I have a hard time imagining where you could a screen on a mixer. You'd either compromise on the screen and put a tiny Maschine like LCD near the top of a mixer or you'd go all out and through a nice big Maschine studio screen in the middle of the mixer while increasing the size of the mixer overall.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ok, I'm just sayin'... I don't wanna get slapped down. This is just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    I am currently in talks with a local coder to try to reverse engineer Traktor Scratch Pro to get waveforms to display on the screens.
    That is 'probably' in breach of the EULA you have with Native Instruments regarding the clause about altering the software which negates your support from NI should you have any issues that need their help.
    But... I would guess that you don't really want their support anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    I'd rather do it without help from NI, just to stick it to them
    They won't help you do something that breaches the EULA so I guess you will just have to "stick it to them"... they will be shaking in their boots

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    I wouldn't count on support from NI (even if you wanted it)
    That's right, NI will most definitely not support this.

Seems like a rather expensive way of getting waveforms on a controller to me but I'd be interested to see the results.

hmmm.

could be an interesting read

but

inb4 possible lock
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

@Karlos yeah I understand your points. I figure since it's NI software and NI hardware its not as bad.

But if NI catches wind, and sends me a C & D, then I completely understand. But traktor has always kind of favored a hacker mentality.

I just think that you sell a piece of $1000 dollar hardware, but it cant support another piece of your software, that has a VERY similar code architecture. Well that's just mean....

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah I hear ya man. It really was just an FYI cus most people aren't aware of the particular clause in the EULA.
    The Licensee must not, except as otherwise expressly provided herein, copy or have copied, decompile or have decompiled, reverse engineer or have reverse engineered the Licensed software or parts of it.
    I realise that telling a hacker that there is a clause in and EULA is pretty dumb anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Yeah I hear ya man. It really was just an FYI cus most people aren't aware of the particular clause in the EULA.

I realise that telling a hacker that there is a clause in and EULA is pretty dumb anyway
    I really appreciate it man. And I understand what your saying.

If the mods could do me a favor and not lock the thread. **I will not post any of our resources**

Because I wouldn't want to promote breaking the EULA.

But if we are successful, I would probably post a video just to show that it could be done.

Tech Guru

I just think that you sell a piece of $1000 dollar hardware, but it cant support another piece of your software, that has a VERY similar code architecture. Well that's just mean....
    When was the last time you looked at the code of both Traktor and Maschine and compared them?

In any case, you're going to need to know how to write to the displays, and that's going to require the hardware - which isn't out yet. And if you're assuming that NI isn't going to support the use of the Studio controller with Traktor (which is probably a safe bet), then you're also going to need to write a bit of middleware that facilitates that communication without introducing so much latency that the whole effort is counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Ok, I'm just sayin'... I don't wanna get slapped down. This is just an FYI.

That is 'probably' in breach of the EULA you have with Native Instruments regarding the clause about altering the software which negates your support from NI should you have any issues that need their help.
    But... I would guess that you don't really want their support anyway?

They won't help you do something that breaches the EULA so I guess you will just have to "stick it to them"... they will be shaking in their boots

That's right, NI will most definitely not support this.

Seems like a rather expensive way of getting waveforms on a controller to me but I'd be interested to see the results.
    Shhhhhhhh. Let them have their fun. We don't need to remind them what a proprietary protocol is, and ruin this entire thing for them outright.

OP: You might want to try backtracing the user ID GUI in Traktor, it should let you hack the software, and open up the hacker menu on the Maschine. This is just advice from my lvl 3 hacker friend, he's reverse engineered Microsoft.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast