eks "otus"... - Page 20
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: eks "otus"...

Hopefully wont be long until ean reviews it then

I have played with it today, and it is a nice controller.

Though in my eyes, it has a few flimsey points:
    - On the top of the controller you have the small jogdials, if you press and rub on the baseplate just beneath the jogdials, you will feel that there's no real base beneath the surface. (Probably has to deal with the fact that the prototype had pots there too?) Rub it hard enough and pots will even start to turn?
    - The Jogwheels that can become to insensitive (or you have to redo a mapping)
    - Paint rubs off too easily on LED lid buttons.

One of the biggest moments was the following:
    Reind, owner of the AboutDJ community, decided to redo a control setting in the preset on spot.
    By doing this, he indeed change the original preset setting for that control, but completely whiped out the rest of the preset.
    (This was on a white macbook, OSX)

Have made a small vid, just showing it in some looping action:
    [YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuCmEgnQvgs]EKS Otus in action on the Music Alive Event 2009, Rotterdam[/YOUTUBE]

Not the greatest quality vid, but hey it gets the job done. Thanks, cam in my phone.

Also I was able to play a little with the Jazzmutant Lemur and Dexter, and I was not that impressed.
    To be honest, it has a cool multitouch screen and all, but to pay 2569 euros for that..?

Not my thing.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

any word on the release for the EKS Otus Raw?

Tech Mentor

EKS mentioned somewhere that they would first see the feedback on Otus and make possible changes if necessary before releasing the raw. No idea on the date, haven't heard anything so it's better for me not to guess anything.

Tech Mentor

Hump!

EKS representative mentioned on a Finnish DJ forum that the prototype for RAW is presented at Frankfurt Musikmesse in April, and that it comes with a sound card.

What is more important is that I should receive my bonus the same month! This might help me make the decision whether to keep using Serato (which should have the update concerning Ableton in March), or to make the leap back to Traktor.

Hey Stumpy, you aren't working for a Japanese multinational by any chance?

But RAW preview in April? WOW! Finally!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Mentor

Nope. I'm working for a Finnish multinational (no, it's not Nokia). I might be interested in trading spots for a year or so if you are?

EDIT: To make this less of a OT - update for MACs was published today
    Last edited by Stumpy; 02-24-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Nope. I'm working for a Finnish multinational (no, it's not Nokia). I might be interested in trading spots for a year or so if you are?
    Well, that depends on two things:
    1.) Girlfriend and our daughter need to agree/
    2.) What type of business are you into.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    to keep using Serato (which should have the update concerning Ableton in March), or to make the leap back to Traktor.
    how do U know that? Serato never give what they gonna do with SSL. However this partnership is bizarre. How Serato could offer a link to Ableton with a free software? the re is two possibilty:

1-use the SL1 box witch is a very bad audio soudcard.

2-open SSL to other soundcard but SSL is a free software so they gonna work for free!!!!

i still using SSL for mixing but since i've bought a OTUS, i try different software and i decide to switch to Traktor pro.

I really like SSL but if i want to use it ,i must use it with a big dongle (the SL1 box!!!) and i can use the audio output of the OTUS. For this case the situation is weird.

Tech Mentor

Based on what I've read it seems that the new version could have Ableton-based something as a third deck.