Differences Among The Technics - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The difference between m5g and mk2 in terms of wow and flutter is noticeable if you measure it - it's pretty significant if you compare a mk2 to m5g on Traktor for instance. But it's really not enough to hear anything and it probably translates into only a tiny fraction more of attention span that needs to be focused on matching beats. Hellnegative what don't you like about the feel of the m5g/mk5? The m5g doesn't feel that much different from the mk2 to me other than the tonearm (and in that case I vastly prefer the m5g).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I literally just dont like the feel. The tecture of the plastic, the lower weight of the tonearm, the shininess of it. I prefer that rugged feeling. I also hate when people get those damned metal tops for their techs.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

1200 - silver

1210 - black

most of the time anyway. seen a couple 1200 blacks

then again, 1210s seem to be more rare
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Mentor

I have 2 black Techs... one is a 1200 and one is a 1210. :: shrug ::

yeah I have a set of black 1200 mk2s.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Personally I can't understand peoples' obsession with Technics TTs now that there's so much Super OEM stuff on the market these days. It all just seems to be a case of Apple-style obsession to me.

Tech Guru

There's plenty of discussion around on the Supers, and as they all use the same motor there are bound to be some shared drawbacks:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=398523

As with Macs, it is much safer to go for something tried and tested rather than opting for a cheap knockoff/alternative. Vestax are one exception - they actually put in the effort to design and build their own turntables rather than hovering over the Technics patent expiry date to make a clone.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

In case anyone is wondering, this is the original which all the SuperOEMs are built around:

http://www.hanpin.com.tw/Products/02_DJ-5500.html

And a pretty good review by DJBooth of a SuperOEM deck:

The main thing I like about the SuperOEM stuff is that they've got triple the Torque of the 1200s; it's about as close to instant-start as you can get with a TT.

Tech Guru

Good to know since I always try to push button cue with my TTs.....

Anyone know how to test the torque on Technics, When I compare mine to others they always seem low....

Quote Originally Posted by Rukks View Post
    Good to know since I always try to push button cue with my TTs.....

Anyone know how to test the torque on Technics, When I compare mine to others they always seem low....
    I assume you'd have to actually fit some sort of device onto the spindle to test it accurately. Sticking your hand on the bare metal always worked for me when buying 2nd hand gear, but it's hardly scientific. There's an insane bit in that vid at 7:23 where he spins the record back through about 20 rotations and the platter doesn't even slow down slightly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast