Just played a houseparty this past Saturday / Thoughts on Autosync - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is your guys about opinion about using a mouse in your gig:
    I saw deadmau5 using one,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAqM2...eature=related

I still think people would give me a weird look.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I try to avoid using a mouse at all costs. Not cause I care what the crowd thinks, I just hate using it. I'd rather use my keyboard.

People look at me strange anyway just cause of what I do when I DJ. Hell, I've broken a crossfader clean out of a mixer, I'm almost knocked an entire rig off of a table... I've been dancing so hard I've fallen, banged my head against walls, etc.

But, the mouse is just so restrictive. I can't bang on it, I can't move in any sort of fast and furious manner, I'm just stuck moving my fingers real slow like. It's one thing when I'm building or killing an effect/level, but the mouse just drives me insane.

And who's gonna give you a weird look? The tools that think they can do it better?

BTW: congrats on the gig, miyuru. If they don't care you're sync'ing, why should you?
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 07-29-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Syncing will definitely be your friend in the end. When you are starting to get drunk, you are busy mashing and tearing, when you just notice that the bass and snare are all messed up... there will be that little cute button. Saving you ass one delirious moment at a time.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

See, I haven't been doing this that long and even I remember, when rip roaring wasted, needing to figure out why it sucked so bad and fixing it. Sometimes it ended well... others... notsomuch

heh

:-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Your job is to rock the party... which you did do and thats what matters at the end of the day, and if people could actually identify and enjoyed your effects signature then your doing even better.

props - keep rocking those parties!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the comments It really was extraordinary - I mean, I've been to many gigs myself (as part of the audience), but to see a crowd go THAT wild was intense, especially with me as the DJ. It got to the point where I could play anything without even mixing it and the kids would've danced! Haha it felt good to earn the crowd's trust like that.

In regards to using a mouse to DJ, I'd rather not in terms of controlling an actual parameter etc. I still use my mouse though to browse through tracks and so forth (I can't browse on my VCI because I changed the .tks to let me beatjump with the navigation buttons).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    T...it felt good to earn the crowd's trust like that...
    are you sure they weren't just really drunk! HAHA
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

Tech Mentor

It's funny, I'm also a bartender So I'd take credit either way ^_^

the few times i have performed for a "crowd" on my vci, i beatmatched with the pitch fader most of the time - except, when i occassionally tried getting more creative than just blends and cuts.. even then, i have the digital crutch of having the tempo in the corner of the deck.

I guess i was trying to show them that i could beatmatch (becuz i was amongst a die-hard-vinyl crowd - i wonder if they noticed i didnt have to bump the platter), while at the same time trying to gain acceptance for my new toy(the beat juggle feature seemed to be a hit - now if only i could master that third deck((that could be a new tutorial - examples of 3 deck mixing)).

If i were more established as a dj, i would probably feel less pressure to gain acceptance like that. Until then, ill beatmatch if i dont have anything better goin on.

I'm in the same boat miyuru; had my first proper house party gig last Friday and it was pumpin. Though I ended up switching to CDJs because half a dozen DJs were invited and the guy with the most gear (and biggest head) took up all the table space so I had to pack the VCI up. Luckily he just wanted to get pissed so myself and 2 other dudes were doing rotations on the CDJs all night and keepin' the party going. Best buzz ever!

As for the synching, I actually experienced bouts of having nothing to do if I managed to beatmatch quickly between mixes (those long hours of practise on the VCI are paying off!) so once I start looking into beatjumping etc. properly I imagine that beatmatching will be the least of my creative concerns.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast