S4 + Maschine - Mapping Maschine for Creative FX Control?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 + Maschine - Mapping Maschine for Creative FX Control?

Have the S4 + Maschine, wanting to find / create a mapping for the Maschine so it can be used alongside the S4 as follows:

- Uses 2 FX banks
    - Routing of FX controlled by 4 buttons above screens, corresponding to on / off for ABCD for each screen (left = FX1, right = FX2)
    - Dry/wet of FX controlled by knob on far bottom left of each screen
    - Vertical row of buttons to immediate left of pads (Scene, Pattern, Pad Mode, etc.) correspond to different "groups" of FX arrangements. Pressing one loads different FX presets for FX banks 1 & 2, some grouped, some single FX. Pressing mute makes pads operate as cue points 1-8 for decks A & B.
    - Pads operate FX in all other "groups" of FX arrangements. Column 1/2 operates FX 1, 3/4 operate FX 2. When a pad is pressed, FX is turned on and operated based on setting for a given pad or pads based on preset selected. LED feedback lights pads up when pressed.
    - Remaining knobs below windows display controls for FX being activated by pad and can be adjusted so an effect can be "played." On release of pad, settings returned to previous state
    - Knobs 1/2 under "Master" = superknobs w/ FX combinations activated by pressing and holding note repeat then turning knob. 1 = FX bank 1, 2 = FX bank 2.
    - 3rd knob sets tempo control to master then adjusts tempo of master clock for creative control over tempo

Does something like this exist? I am completely new to MIDI mapping and can't seem to get a grip on where to start. Is this even possible? I want to get started but just don't know where to begin.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: And, of course, any suggestions on adjusting this so it makes more sense or is easier to use would be great.

Also worth explaining: the reason for the setup is to allow for more collaborative DJ sessions. My roommate and I both DJ, but pretty much do it solo as the layout of the S4 makes it difficult for one to work effects while the other handles mixing, etc. In my experience, the best DJ's I've ever seen have been two man teams operating together to produce really interesting effects that would otherwise be impossible without physically having more hands (or being absolutely insanely talented, which I'm not).
    Last edited by thegeek; 03-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Tech Convert

did you find the answer to this mapping?? I would love to use something similar

Tech Convert

i realize this thread is 2 years old but i am wondering if anybody found a way for this to work, i really want to be able to use my maschine as a fx controller for s4. please if anyone has mapping that could help with what im looking for let me know
    thank you

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Tech Convert

Thanks Stewe,
    i have checked out that page but i want to be able to map the maschine for ONLY fx not any play/stop, loops, cues, etc.
    basically assign each pad to trigger a different effect so this way i can change the effect by just tapping the pad and playing with the parameter knob

i was also curious to know if it is possible to map one of the pads to load a specified song into a deck and have it immediately start playing from a specified cue point (ex. playing a song on deck B and then pressing one of the pads on the maschine and having a totally different song load into deck B and start playing from a cue point halfway into the song already, so the transition from the first song into the second song is almost an instant jump just by pressing the pad it is assigned to)

thanks for any input you can give me im pretty new with mapping but i learn quick when i set my mind to something

Quote Originally Posted by Ennos View Post
    i have checked out that page but i want to be able to map the maschine for ONLY fx not any play/stop, loops, cues, etc.
    basically assign each pad to trigger a different effect so this way i can change the effect by just tapping the pad and playing with the parameter knob
    Pad:
    Add In > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / interaction-direct / value-Pick effect you want to load
    Add In > FX Unit > Button / type-button / interaction hold or toggle (depend on switch you need)

Knob:
    Add In > FX Unit > Knob / type-fader/knob (if rotary pot) or encoder (if endless rotary encoder) / interaction-direct (pot) or relative (encoder)

i was also curious to know if it is possible to map one of the pads to load a specified song into a deck and have it immediately start playing from a specified cue point (ex. playing a song on deck B and then pressing one of the pads on the maschine and having a totally different song load into deck B and start playing from a cue point halfway into the song already, so the transition from the first song into the second song is almost an instant jump just by pressing the pad it is assigned to)
    Traktor can only load a track which is currently selected in track list. However I think you should be able to automatically start it play from specific cue point.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Knob:
    Add In > FX Unit > Knob / type-fader/knob (if rotary pot) or encoder (if endless rotary encoder) / interaction-direct (pot) or relative (encoder)

Hey just a quick question about the knob which im unsure of

what is the difference between rotary pot and endless rotary encoder? is a rotary pot a knob that can only be twisted and certain amount before it reaches a stop point and the endless rotary endcoder a knob that can be twiested in the same direction all the way around endlessly ex: like a knob on the maschine?

and the interaction what is the difference between direct and relative?

thanks alot for all your help, your responses were very helpful to me

Quote Originally Posted by Ennos View Post
    what is the difference between rotary pot and endless rotary encoder? is a rotary pot a knob that can only be twisted and certain amount before it reaches a stop point and the endless rotary endcoder a knob that can be twiested in the same direction all the way around endlessly ex: like a knob on the maschine?
    This is correct. I made example for both since I was unsure which type of pots the maschine uses.

and the interaction what is the difference between direct and relative?
    Direct mode is suitable for rotary pots. Those are sending values from 0 to 127 via full range and as you are twisting it the value will be displayed in software directly.

Relative mode is different and suits to endless encoders where you can use this mode to set rotary acceleration to determine the speed of adjusting parameters in software. You can still use this mode for standard pots and to set the speed in same way but you will be limited by those 0 and 127 value (min/max).

Just set your maschine knobs in relative mode, adjust acceleration to your flow and you're good to go

Tech Convert

Thanks again Stewe. once i get a little free time ill give it a shot and post back how everything turns out

You're welcome mate. If you need some ideas for effect mappings make sure to check 'The Ultimate FX thread' - you'll find multitude of examples there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast