Analogue Vs Digital Summing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Also I just love the layout of a good mixer, you have the space for your hands and everything is where it should
    You just hit the nail on the head there! After using analogue mixers for so many years im finding these midi ones difficult to adjust too as there so damn cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by gh987 View Post
    I dont quite follow this. I thought that if somebody was using an external mixer they could still have the same amount of control over the internal effects with a midi controller such as the xone 1d (so the mixer doing the external-mixing and xone-1d doing the internal effects)? Am I not correct in thinking this?
    Not the same amount because you cannot apply effects on the master channel, your limited to applying effects per channel.

So say you wanted to use digital modeled tube distortion on your master bus(or a reberb effect, filter, whatever), then you would have to send the audio back into your pc, reprocess it, then back out of your pc which adds a considerable amount of latency.

Tech Wizard

Sorry to sound like a div BentoSan but what do you mean when you say master effects? I thought the effects worked the same for both internal and external. Each channel is routed to either FX1or2 or both.

If I send all channels to say FX1, wouldnt that be like a master effect anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by gh987 View Post
    Sorry to sound like a div BentoSan but what do you mean when you say master effects? I thought the effects worked the same for both internal and external. Each channel is routed to either FX1or2 or both.

If I send all channels to say FX1, wouldnt that be like a master effect anyway?
    Thats in Traktor, thats their way of getting around this, but its not a perfect solution, take the gater for instance. If you activate it on 2 decks the white noise generator gets twice as loud (which i find quite displeasing to the ear).

When i say master effects i mean effects that are applied after the signals are summed together. Its particularly important with the mastering plugins that the signal is summed before the effect is applied as opposed to having a mastering plugin on every single channel, which would not only use excessive amount of CPU, it wouldn't work anywhere near as effectively as if you summed the material together first before applying the effect.

Like i was saying earlier there really isn't an advantage to mixing internally inside Traktor (compared to a good analogue mixer, the advantages come when your using a program like Ableton to do the summing.

Tech Wizard

Im with ya now!

Should have mentioned I was referring to traktor, my fault. I now fully understand what you mean regarding effects on the master channel (in ableton). As a matter of fact thinking about it I imagine you could get better results by adding the correct dynamic-plugins to the master bus than any analogue mixer could deliver! Traktor should support VSTs for this very reason alone.

thanks for the knowledge

bento - what kind of mastering plugins do you use?

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Tech Guru

not to threadjack but what do you guys recommend for analogue mixer that works great with traktor?

Small budget and large budget options????

As soon as I get a bit more flow to play with, an analogue mixer is on my evergrowing studio shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbido View Post
    bento - what kind of mastering plugins do you use?
    Tube emulation, limiting and an exciter. That said I am always playing with different plugin combinations on my master bus, theres so many different kinda of sounds that are possible its hard to make up my mind what i like the most

Edit: Tape emulation also sounds quite nice !
    Last edited by BentoSan; 08-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Tube emulation, limiting and an exciter. That said I am always playing with different plugin combinations on my master bus, theres so many different kinda of sounds that are possible its hard to make up my mind what i like the most

Edit: Tape emulation also sounds quite nice !
    How do you do that in traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    How do you do that in traktor?
    route the audio into ableton, i'm guessing...
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast