Landed my first Gig!! Possible issues... tips? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Learning to use the S2 shouldn't be a problem, faders, eq, cue/play, its the same as any other mixing setup. I would only be worried about making sure that the hardware, the audio interface, etc., work flawlessly. Having your software stutter, or your latency spike because the cpu load is different with your new setup would be something to look out for.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

congrats man! Yeah dep DON'T DRINK unles syou're just sipping a beer on your first gig =)

a long time ago a friend recommended me to bring a fish bowl and some sticky notes with a pen (so people can write down requests instead of distracting you asking you to play the latest bieber) and i added a sign that said
    "Remember, Drugs are expensive....... "

would make an extra like 50 bucks or so a night in tips from requests when i first started out =)

Tech Wizard

yeah.. your old kit is a spiders nest of bad.. use the S2.. rock the party.
    stay pretty sober.. you might need 1 for nerves at first..
    rock the S2 as much as you can before your party. at least you have a mac to help with the normal windows s2/s4 latency issues.

make sure to read the crowd.. dont bust into an all skrillex set (for example) if they are not digging it.. by the sounds of the playlist, you will need to keep changing up the music all night. keep in mind what is pulling them onto the floor and visit that genre often. the requests should give you an idea ahead of time..

Besides the post-its for requests.. leave some business cards there.. land your next gig..

Grats..

Thanks again for the tips everyone! Stoked to get so much support :]

Only thing that I can add that hasn't been mentioned is - to look at their playlist before you play it - check levels, bitrates, etc. Also try and not have Traktor read it from the stick. I am not advocating "sharing" music, but not only will the read/write speeds be at the mercy of the USB stick, but it adds another variable of failure.

Have a extra long track or a mini-mix on hand for break periods. I've never gigged out, but for a 7 hour gig it would make sense, obviously

Good luck! KILL IT!
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    Have a extra long track or a mini-mix on hand for break periods. I've never gigged out, but for a 7 hour gig it would make sense,
    Soft Cell "tainted Love / Where did our love go" is good for a 9 min break at most gigs..

Ive never dj'ed sober and I probably wont ever lol. A couple brews before you play always helps me fit in the groove a little better.

Tech Convert

I can't wait to get to that point!,good luck and like nubz said have fun

echo freeze, fades, get a mic, intro's over outro's, don't get drunk before you play lol have fun good luck champ and if you need a smoke or bathroom break or the dance floor is popping feel free to throw in my mix :P

https://soundcloud.com/djpaulson/dj-...ears-party-set

Tech Wizard

The only problem i have with tossing in a quick premade mix and stepping out is, people then question if the rest of the mix was live or all premix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast