Severely Discouraging - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

dude, I started out by doing gigs every weekend at my boarding school, and had this thing the whole time. I was 2 years younger than the big boys at the top, and they loved to come round and try to throw me etc. I just blocked it out, and went along with it - cos I know at the end of the day I was thinking to myself how much they'd change their mind if I was the one playing out at a club, and actually made it. And trust me, its rewarding

Thing is, you have to start somewhere, and as long as you can mix, and are passionate - the best thing you can do is play out at parties, and get as much criticism as you can from everybody - including the jerk-offs like him. Then you can get a rounded view of where to improve, and trust us, you'll improve. Period. Then before you know it, that plonker's going to be telling his mates about how he once had a big chat with the headline act at Crobar this weekend. It'll happen dude.. don't worry - just takes time. It's not always as glamorous as it looks, but if you're into the music, then you should stick at it.

As for the guy fucking with your gear. He crossed a line, and should be severely battered for it. You should go piss on his matches next time he picks up a girl, see how he likes it then

but you got another party gig! i'd be focused on that
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

If somebody tried to touch my stuff while I was playing, I'd first slap them (hard), then cut the music, then point to the guy, then get on the mic if necessary and tell everybody that if they want the music back on to get this guy the F*** out of my face.

Dead serious.

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    but you got another party gig! i'd be focused on that
    Yeah that's always a plus.

This morning I finally just sucked it up and did an hour and a half live mix, completely without any planning, to prove to myself that I can, indeed, dj. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    If somebody tried to touch my stuff while I was playing, I'd first slap them (hard), then cut the music, then point to the guy, then get on the mic if necessary and tell everybody that if they want the music back on to get this guy the F*** out of my face.

Dead serious.
    That's actually not a bad idea. I think someone touching your stuff without permission is probably like some kind of unwanted sexual advance. I don't know, my gear is my stuff, having someone put their grimey paws on it is almost insulting.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Dont mean to jump in all late, but if someone put there hands on my gear, especially my vci-100se...they are either getting stabbed or they are going to get a pint glass to here face.

It doesnt matter if that cat was drunk off his ass, his boys should have been taking care of him and not letting that dumbass run around with no supervision.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

imo punch him in the face and you'll feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

"don't touch my knob without permission"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Hehe, i second that Jester!
    Last edited by Michielygil; 08-17-2009 at 03:02 AM.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

These kinds of events are an occupational hazard. Whether its people moaning about your mixing, your choice of song, or anything else, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Mostly, its the alcohol speaking, so do what the rest of us do, ignore it and move on.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't accept feedback from your audience, its what helps make you improve, but you'll know when someone is just out to have a go.

I often get a couple of guys (its always guys), that come right up to the booth and dance stupidly whilst staring right at you, in some vain attempt to throw you off. Its happened enough times now that I wonder whether there is an idiots handbook being passed around!

Move on!
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Next time bring these guys!

Don't let it piss you off man, just say thanks for the critique put on you headphones and keep rockin.

Never let someone introduce doubt in your abilities for something you love to do.

and remember one of the most important commandments...

thou shall KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS OFF MY GEAR!
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast