Mapping S4 for cleaner access to decks C and D
    Tech Convert

Default Mapping S4 for cleaner access to decks C and D

So I have an S4 and I really don't like the concept of 'changing modes' to access the C & D decks as it is just kind of clunky and I often wind up grabbing the wrong deck not realising it's in alternate mode which is just so annoying. Now the way I play is basically A&B do most of the heavy lifting but sometimes I need a 3rd deck to bring in an extra beat here and there and I figure my life would be a whole lot easier if I just had the basic controls over C&D always accessible without changing modes and I'd be totally fine w/o having access to the looper on the extra decks, just basic cue points, load, sync and start/stop.

Looking at the S4 layout it appears ideal for this actually.. I would use the sample deck buttons as cues 1-4 on decks C & D, then change the Loop In button to SYNC and the Loop Out button to PLAY. I work the looper using the two encodes all the time so I'm ok to give up those 2 buttons to use in controlling decks C & D. Then those little 'deck C' and 'deck D' buttons would become 'load deck C' and 'load deck D' instead of full on modifiers and changing everything around. This gives me the ability to quickly cue up and bring in a 3rd track when needed and other than loop in/loop out all the buttons are still quite clearly labeled.

So I've watched some youtube videos, read a lot of threads on this forum but I can't seem to get anywhere in trying to make this mapping. It seems pretty straightforward really and I used the default S4 user mapping and am trying to change it to this however something just seems broken in the default S4 user mapping because no matter how many times I start a new one, suddenly my normal play buttons are disabled. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I missing something really obvious? I'm not exactly a noob in technology or midi since I've been producing tracks and using DAWs for years but since I made the switch to digital DJing I just can't quite get the controller programmed how I want it. Any suggestions or tips I may be missing? It seems like a pretty basic mapping though, essentially jsut changing 6 of the buttons (hotcues can already be assigned to deck c & d cue points right in the preferences). Is there perhaps a working default S4 mapping I can download as a starting point?

First thing:
    the embedded mapping is the 'default' one, can be changed to an extend but hasn't been made to be customised.
    So you need to erase it first.
    Then using in the controller manager, under 'device' (top half), use the add button, in the scroll down menu click on import, you'll go to the traktor version's file you're using, navigate to settings/default settings/controller/native instruments and click on the s4 user mapping to bring it into your controller manager.
    Now just that is clear: the default user mapping you've just brought, isn't the embedded one. It's a simple reflection of the more complex embedded one (that cant' be recreated fully with a user one, you'll loose the copy mode, a lot of led feedback, a lot of functions, the loop size display, etc, etc...).
    Inside that user mapping, erase the modifiers 1&2. Those are the modifiers that do change the user deck layers (a&c, b&d). Now erase all functions that are assigned to deck c&d, all but the mixer control (eq and the like, fx assignments, etc, etc.. well, you get my point and use a bit of reflexion here).
    In all remaining functions remove the modifier conditions 1 & 2 you find.
    As you erase the modifiers 1&2, you removed the ability to change deck layers and that mapping. Create two new commands to load on deck C & D on those deck layers buttons. Remember, but you need to check the user mapping may have when using shift+those buttons to change deck layouts (you may need it to remove that, add it, I don't know what you want to do).
    Find all commands associated to the sample buttons 1to4, erase them and create your next functions (you said hotcues 1 to 4 for either decks c&d, add also the possibility to use shift - the modifier is already created, check which one it is for each deck - to delete those hotcues.
    Do the same for the loop in and loop out buttons right and left sides.
    And I think you should probably be done at this point (I didn't study the default user mapping for quite a long time and may be missing some details and the functions integrated inside but the above is basically what you wanna do and counting on your proper analysis I'm sure you'll find the way).

Now a very simple alternative suggestion if you have an iphone and that won't cost you much:
    download touch osc, osc bridge, create a template to have basic controls on decks c&d.
    Just an example here, I created a very simple template to have control on one sample deck that allows me to not being obliged to switch layers (from 4:52 in the video. Not that a video is specially about that, but I'm using the template to launch the samples I'm using):

Cost: a bit of time and what? a few euros for touch osc.
    You can create a very simple template even on an iphone to control decks c&d with even a bit more control (loops, etc...). The limit here being the size of the surface and your mapping abilities.
    Last edited by Yul; 07-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    First thing:
    the embedded mapping is the 'default' one, can be changed to an extend but hasn't been made to be customised.
    So you need to erase it first.
    Then using in the controller manager, under 'device' (top half), use the add button, in the scroll down menu click on import, you'll go to the traktor version's file you're using, navigate to settings/default settings/controller/native instruments and click on the s4 user mapping to bring it into your controller manager.
    Now just that is clear: the default user mapping, you've just brought isn't the embedded one. It's a simple reflection of the more complex embedded one (that cant' be recreated fully with a user one, you'll loose the copy mode, a lot of led feedback, a lot of functions, the loop size display, etc, etc...).
    Inside that user mapping, erase the modifiers 1&2. Those are the modifiers that do change the user deck layers (a&c, b&d). Now erase all functions that are assigned to deck c&d, all but the mixer control (eq and the like, fx assigments, etc, etc.. well, you get my point and use a bit of reflexion here).
    In all remaining functions remove the modifier conditions 1 & 2 you find.
    As you erase the modifiers 1&2, you removed the ability to change deck layers and that mapping. Create two new commands to load on deck C & D on those deck layers buttons. Remember, but you need to check the user mapping may have when using shift+those buttons to change deck layouts (you may need it to remove that, add it, I don't knwo what you want to do).
    Find all commands associated to the sample buttons 1to4, erase them and create your nex fucntions (you said hotcues 1to4 for either decks c&d, add also the possibility to use shift - the modifier is already created, check which one it is for eack deck - to delete those hotcues.
    Do the same for the loop in and loop out buttons right and left sides.
    And I think you should probably be done at this point (I didn't study the default user mapping for quite a long time and may be missing some details and the functions integrated inside but the above is basically what you wanna do and counting on your proper analysis I'm sure you'll find the way).

Now a very simple alternative suggestion if you have an iphone and that won't cost you much:
    download touch osc, osc bridge, create a template to have basic controls on decks c&d.
    Just an example here, I created to very simple template to have control on one sample deck that allows me to not being obliged to switch layers (from 4:52 in the video):

Cost: a bit of time and what? a few euros for touch osc.
    You can create a very simple template even on an iphone to control decks c&d with even a bit more control (loops, etc...). The limit here being the size of the surface and your mapping abilities.
    Phew, thanks very much for your detailed answer! I will be following your suggestions after my gig on the weekend and try again to get this thing working. Touchosc is a fair idea, and infact I have an Akai MPK and Kaoss Pad I could theoretically use as extra controllers but I was kind of hoping the S4 would truly be the 'all in one device' it is billed as. Basically I switched to digital DJing so I wouldn't have to cart all this live PA gear around so trying to keep it all to the one box + laptop concept. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain this for me, I'll post back after I've had some more time to mess with it.
    Eclectic Electro >> www.modularjack.net