How to get a drumroll effect with Traktor... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, I think that's how they have it set up by default, but that doesn't mean you can't change it :-) Just play around with the tks until you find the settings and abilities you want. That's my mission this week: find adequate looping.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to share their personal techniques how to create different effects to add life to your mix with effects as the one described above? I am new to the DJ world and I thought what a great idea to share your ideas and experience with one another.

Another idea would be if Ean could provide some insight on how to create different effects to add life to our mix (I know Ean is busy, just a thought) using the different effects.

Just a thought, Mark

P.S. A proud owner of the VCI-100 Limited Edition EG

Definitely, I'd really like to hear other people's tips and tricks on effects. Even if it's only different MIDI settings to improve efficiency of effects use etc.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Wizard

Default Question about Beatmashing

Hi, as you just spoken to beatmashing, I have a question:
    Is there a possibility to be not limited to the 1/32 beatmashing which is the most decreased loop size in the effect? I really would like to be able to do 1/64 or 1/128 beatmashing (I know it doesn't sound clear, but I need that sound )

Quote Originally Posted by Philinho View Post
    I have found that if you follow DvlsAdvct's advice and set 2 buttons up - one to increase and the other to decrease loop length - then you can get much smaller loop sizes. I think taking snap off also helps.
    I was wrong about my own performance! thats exactly how I did it in that video and how the vci-100se is set up. 4 buttons activate loops on 4 decks and then there are 3 buttons to shorten loops on 3 decks.

Here's a trick:
    Set a 2beat loop just before the bass kicks in.
    Open up the start loop panel and change your buttons so you have /2 and 1/8 available.
    Turn off loop snap now or this wont work.
    Press the /2 button repeatedly to cut the loop size in half each time.
    You need to use the start loop settings because if you move the end of the loop the bass wont kick in when you release the loop.
    If you keep pressing /2 the loop itself will start moving and you can create a kind of roll effect on voices or whatever you want. If you want it to go faster use the 1/8 button.
    Release the loop when you feel the crowd proceeds to trip

Have fun!

Cheers to the community.

Finally made the dive into altering the tks. after reading all the adice to get what I wanted and now have the four black loop buttons set up to inc/dec loop length and move the loop; just the way I wanted. And this will only be the beginning!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Convert

I have another question on this now. I've got a handle on loops (making them, shortening, increasing etc.) but in terms of mixing, when I make a loop just before a bass line coming back in, if i shorten it, it obviously is going to have a slight gap just before the bassline.

If I can do a slight graphical representation it would look like this:

| | | | | | | | | | | |||||||||| | | |
    ^^ loop shortening ^^ 1/8 loop gap ^ bassline

If you are looking at this in terms of a timeline, you can see i can repeat those 1/8 loops but when i stop the loop, there is a slight gap before the bassline. is the only way to combat this playing the same song side by side with a cue point on the bassline on deck B and the looping going on in deck A?

I hope I've got my question across...lol.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Let me make sure I have your question right. You have a short loop prior to a bass entry. You want to know how to go from the end of the loop to the bass line, avoiding the 1/8 beat gap.

If this is right, then here's an idea. You would set your loop, gap and all, and set a cue point where the bass line should be. Set a hotkey/midi command for jump to cue: next, or the cue number, and when you want it to drop just hit it and there you will be.

And the fun part is you can that the loop will still be active, so you can re-loop it and continue the loop whenever you want :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

DvlsAdvct: You sir, are a genius! haha. Nice one mate - exactly what I meant, now I just need to go through all of my mp3s and sort the cue points out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast