opinions on setup
    Tech Mentor

Default opinions on setup

I'm running a S4 right now and I love everything about it. EXCEPT for the times I have to play in places where there is no room for a controller. I'm thinking of selling the s4 and replacing it with this setup: x1 + xone 22. Would this be a good enough to run a 2 deck setup? My main question is about how external mixer mode works. I know when I messed around with it on the s4, I wasn't able to use my faders but would have to use the external mixer. However the s4 was only plugged into 1 channel of the mixer so I wasn't able to control decks individually with the external mixer.

So basically I'm looking for a replacement set up with the following options.
    -full control of traktor (x1)
    -hardware mixer (xone 22)
    -ability to record mixes (???)

Would I also need a soundcard? The s4 built in soundcard was pretty good, but I wouldn't mind having something a bit more higher quality. Do CDJs have built in soundcards? Whenever I use cdjs with the xone, I find that the SQ is much more pleasing, although this may just be a placebo thing.

Sorry if anything above doesn't make sense.

What you could do is keep the S4, and just buy a Kontrol x1 + Audio 2, this will allow you to plug into a club's mixer (Output A from the Audio 2 to channel one on the mixer, Output B to channel 2), mix using the club's mixer and control playback with the X1. And then use the S4 when you're mixing at home, or going to a place without a mixer.

Also, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about sound quality, no one is going to notice anyway, as long as you don't play mp3s with shitty encoding.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

If you want to go down the Xone 22 path then in addition to the Xone and X1 you also need a soundcard. I use a Traktor Audio 6.

What you do with that setup is you set traktor to external mixer mode, plug Channels A and B into the Xone's two channels and then route the Xone's record out function back into the TA6's "Main" input channel. You can also route the "Main" output into the Xone's FX return input for sample decks.

The S4 isn't capable of being used in external mixer mode which is why it didn't work for you when you tried.

You will lack job wheels in this setup. I use DVS 1210's as my jogs.

Tech Mentor

ive decided to go with the k2 now that more details and reviews are out. it has a built in soundcard so i think thats all i pretty much need to drag to gigs that have traditional cdj setups