Yet Another DIY Traktor Controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yet Another DIY Traktor Controller

Hey folks, I've gleaned a lot of info from this site, so I thought I would pass some on to others...

I've been working on a DIY Midibox Traktor controller for a while now, and it's finally nearing completion.

I've got build information on a blog at http://www.nonsilence.com and also at the Midibox Wiki. I'm being careful to document everything, warts and all, so others might have less trouble with theirs.

All in all, with a little bit of reading and preparation, these Midibox projects are certainly within reach of anyone with a little bit of soldering skill.

Great work, the reverse side of your front panel is one of the cleanest wirings I have ever seen. A work of art.

Thank you, it's considerably less neat at this point, as I have all of the pots, faders, and LED's wired. I'll be taking some new pictures this evening and will update.

I have a midibox core, din and dout boards built, built them a year ago. that's as far as i gotten.. still plan on designing something...

I'm only looking to build units to add extra buttons for cue points and rotary encoders to compliment the vci-100 I have.

Been on the pre order waiting list for the gm5 usb to 5port midi
    chips and boards over on the ucapps forum

looks pretty slick...
    Question how much was the fee to have the panel cnc cut from FPE.

luckily i have a very close friend that has a cnc, where we have cut wood and plexi, havent tried al or any other metal as his is only setup for dry cutting
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 08-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

I was in the same boat for a while...holding onto midibox parts until I finally got the inspiration to make something with them. I'm excited, I should be able to switch it on for the first time this evening...

The front panel was somewhere near $100 US, I don't recall the exact amount. I went with the thickest panel material, and the engraving added considerably to the cost (and wasn't strictly necessary).

Well that's really not too bad for a one off panel that's precision milled and engraved.

Did you also choose to have the inlays filled with a color?

When it comes to having that many holes to drill and slots to cut for the faders, etc its almost out of the realm of the do it yourselfer unless you have access to either a cnc mill or a metal die press. Trying to use a dremel and a file would take way too long plus the engraved lettering just makes the unit look so much more professional.

Checked out the blog, very nice work, CLEAN.. using the flat ribbon connectors for the boards will make it so much easier to service & troubleshoot instead of just soldering the ribbon cable.

Cant wait to see it in action.

btw... here are 2 photos of what I do for a living. (not trying to hijack the thread)

64 Input & 64 Output SD audio and video router
    a total of 256 audio cables and 128 video cables are in that small area...

Analog to Digital video converters
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 08-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Circular holes for knobs and leds are no problem. I've built an analog synth in the past and drilled those panel holes myself...turned out pretty well. However, long narrow slots for the faders would be tough, as well as precisely matching the slots to the drilled holes for the fader's panel mount screws.

I didn't end up having them fill it with a color, as the blank aluminum color shows through very well with the black anodizing.

That looks quality.

I have just started on my own little project, but it won't be anywhere as complicated as your unit. I decided to start off with a small mixer type controller, but if that goes well, I will proceed to do something like yours.

DJTimmy: That's some attention to detail there. Very impressive. I'm a bit of a neat freak myself when it comes to wiring.

Archies'bald: Is your project midibox based? If so, I think you'll find that it's just as easy to do 32 pots as it is to do 4 pots. Think big! Each midibox module typically handles 32 objects (pots and faders, buttons, or LED's), so you'll have the boards built and attached, you just won't be using it at full capacity if you don't have the full number of inputs/outputs attached. Either way, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Here's the slightly less neat final version, after all of the panel wiring is complete. Still a few things to do before I can power it on and upload the firmware, but there's not much...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast