Akai APC40 and TPro (MISA basic setup) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

This thing sounds pretty cool, to bad the only access i have to an APC is down in LA... Well eventually i will check it!

Tech Student

OK so after a week of editing and combining misa's template with my own I have attached below my tsi. Thanks to misa for helping with the midi out commands to control the leds!

ps. I will post a short video explaining the mapping shortly as will take ages to explain!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    Not sure what you mean by negative value for the controller range. Are you trying to get the LED's to turn off?

The MIDI values for the LED lights are 1,2,3,4,5,6 to change the LEDs from green/blinking green/amber/blinking amber/red/blinking red. I believe this is in respective order, but you should double-check.
    So when you enter controller range there is a negative value of -1 for the min and a pos value of 7. When trying to manually enter the negative value it resets back to 0. I cannot enter any values other than 1 or 0 for the controller range.

*EDIT* For the Clip stop row can you not have multiple colors?
    Last edited by jaredf; 10-20-2009 at 06:56 AM.
    JaredF

MBP 2.16 Ghz 3 GB RAM 200GB 7200RPM Drive
    TS Pro / Scratch Live / Logic / Live / + Many Plugins

Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8 2 GB RAM 750 GB 7200 RPM Drives / MOTU Ultra Lite / Mackie HR824 / Logic Studio / Live 7 / + Many Plugins.

The MIDI values of 1 - 6 are not the same as the Controller values in Traktor mappings. When making a new rule in Traktor controller mappings, the two boxes for controller value (usually 0 - 7 range) appear above two boxes for midi value (usually 0 - 127).

You assign the APC40 LED values of 1 - 6 as the highest value of the MIDI range (so the MIDI range would be 0 - 2 if you want the button to blink green when activated).

The clip stop row does not appear to support multiple colors from the hardware side (only green LEDs built in).

Tech Student

Hey misa,

i tried you mapping and itīs quite nice. But i donīt understand every function. Iīm new to Traktor mapping and the APC has so much sweet functions to map for TPro. I canīt wait to get a complete description of your mapping or a vid. That would be awesome. I tried to map my custom functions, but i donīt get it with the LED Output options (

Quote Originally Posted by BodoByte View Post
    Hey misa,

i tried you mapping and itīs quite nice. But i donīt understand every function. Iīm new to Traktor mapping and the APC has so much sweet functions to map for TPro. I canīt wait to get a complete description of your mapping or a vid. That would be awesome. I tried to map my custom functions, but i donīt get it with the LED Output options (
    Thanks for trying it out BodoByte. I would recommend looking around the forums for discussion on how to map, checking out the Traktor Bible (http://www.traktorbible.com/en/midifinder.aspx), and just trying it out yourself.

As a general tutorial, the LED will usually respond to the MIDI note of its corresponding button. A layout of the APC40 indicating what note is assigned to what button should be floating around on the forum. So say you map a button to be your MONITOR CUE. The button sends out MIDI Note C4 on channel 1. You have mapped the button to toggle MONITOR CUE off/on for deck A. Now you want the button's LED to light up when you are have deck A cued. You map an output command for MONITOR CUE, select MIDI Note C4 on channel 1 and assign for deck A. You can uncheck the blend mode. Things should be good to go with the button lighting up when MONITOR CUE is on and turning off when you click it again. Make sure the APC or whatever other controller you are mapping is included as an output device in the settings. Some output commands behave a little differently depending on their nature, and you may have to assign another output for the same input command to get the LED to turn off after being turned on. It really just takes some experimentation.

Hope that gets you started. Its been taking me a while to put out an update to the basic mapping I did, but look for it in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by misa; 11-04-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Hi,
    first of all, sorry for my bad english im french
    I didnt bought the apc40 yet because nobody answered those questions yet:

If I map any knobs of the apc to the wet/dry of the FX panel 1 of traktor pro, would the midi value(0-127) would change on the apc if I play with the wet/dry of traktor with my computer mouse.

Does the scene launch boutons on the apc can be an other color then green?

Thanks alot Misa, you are helping me ALOT

Quote Originally Posted by djprefere1 View Post
    If I map any knobs of the apc to the wet/dry of the FX panel 1 of traktor pro, would the midi value(0-127) would change on the apc if I play with the wet/dry of traktor with my computer mouse.

Does the scene launch boutons on the apc can be an other color then green?
    For the first part, I imagine you are speaking about the LED ring around the knob. Are you asking if you adjust the wet/dry value of FX1 on the computer screen with the mouse, will the LED ring around the knob assigned to that function on the APC40 change? I am not sure at the moment and will check back when I get home today. My initial reaction would be no, the LED ring does not change in response to changes on the computer screen.

The scene launch buttons on the APC40 are only green. They do not have red LEDs from the hardware side, and so cannot produce the red/orange that the clip launch matrix is capable of displaying. You would have to modify the hardware yourself to get any color other than green.

okok thanks!
    Is it the same for the Clip stop and the Track selection boutons? Can they blink green?

I was asking you for the knobs because I saw on some demo videos that when you press on the bouton Pan, Send A, Send B or Send C on the apc, the led rings around the 8 knobs of the track control changes depending on the value of the knobs into ableton. See, my problem is that when I'll change the effect on one of the Fx panels into traktor, the values of the knobs into traktor will change(because of the presets). I want the apc40 to reconize those values so i dont have to do a soft takeover...

CLIP STOP buttons are only green, the STOP ALL CLIPS button has no LED. As far as blinking, I don't think they can natively blink from a MIDI value, but if a Traktor output causes blinking (i.e., LED on/off when clipping occurs) then they should respond. TRACK SELECTION buttons are special as described below.

Checked at home. The LED rings don't follow onscreen changes, so either direct control would cause a jump or use soft takeover. The demo video you saw demonstrates some of the communication made possible with the Ableton collaboration, but not native to the hardware. You may be able to figure out a way to get this action with Bomes/MIDI translator program. Nevertheless, the DEVICE CONTROL section may be a solution for you.

The DEVICE CONTROL section of knobs and buttons on the APC40 is banked through the TRACK SELECTION buttons, providing 9 banks. The position of the LED ring for each bank is stored. I am using 8 of the banks to control FX in a manner you may appreciate. Bank 1 is FX1 chained, Bank 2 is FX1 advanced, Bank 3 is FX 2 chained, Bank 4 is FX 2 advanced, and so on. So clicking on TRACK SELECTION 1 activates FX1 as chained and can be controlled with knobs/buttons on DEVICE CONTROL. Clicking on TRACK SELECTION 2 actives FX1 as advanced and can be controlled with knobs/buttons on DEVICE CONTROL. If I click back to TRACK SELECTION 1, the parameters I had set for FX1 in chained mode will reappear. That still leaves the last bank for global controls like pan/key/loops/whatever you can think of.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast