Akai APC40 and TPro (MISA basic setup) - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

has anyone gotten the LED rings to work for EQ knobs or FX yet?

LED rings work without any adjustments. Even though you can continuously spin the encoder, the LED ring shows when you're at MIDI value 0 - 127. Haven't tried working with modifiers and seeing if LEDs respond to changes of state, but you have 9 TRACK SELECTION modes on hardware anyways.

Tech Wizard

Hey Misa, thanks very much for the post. Has helped me out with a lot of things!! I am still having one problem though and hoping you can help me.

I seem to be having the same problem as Duttylectric... the rings around my knobs dont light up... or some do.. it's weird. The top 2 rows (above PAN/SENDS) have worked from day one and that's great, didn't need to do anything to make that happen. The bottom 2 rows however, below SHIFT, I can't get to light up no matter what I try or whatever I map to it.

Would you (or anyone) have any idea why this would be. I use one row as LOOP SIZE and the other row as FX if that helps.

Thanks very much!

Hmm...does an LED light up for each knob when you turn on the APC40 or are they all turned off? Are you sending any output signals from Traktor to the APC40?

Tech Wizard

Ok, well the plot thickens... this is really gonna sound weird.

I turn the APC on and yes all four rows of lights come on. I start Traktor and everything 'appears' to be how I want and the lights stay on. However, bizarre things start happening, give you a couple of examples.

1. The 3 rows of buttons above the volume controls (ACTIVATOR/SOLO/REC ARM), I have them mapped to toggle FX1, FX2 and Filter on/off. I press one, it lights up and FX1 comes on. I press it again, the light goes off but FX1 stays on. I press it a third time and the light 'flashes' and FX1 turns off. I basically have to double tap a button to get them to turn off. These buttons above volumes 5-8, I have set as kill switches, same issue. One tap turns them on, 2 taps needed to turn them off.

2. The Track Selection buttons. 1-4 are PLAY/PAUSE, 5-8 turn on headphone cueing.. none of these buttons work. I click PLAY however with the mouse on the screen, the correct button lights on the APC. Click PLAY again, light goes off. Try pressing the button on the APC again, nothing.

3. The knobs below the SHIFT key I use to control FX, this seems to work ok. That is until I hold down MASTER which I have set as a modifer for these knobs. After I press that, it's like the knobs go dead, nothing works no matter what I do.

I have actually found a solution to all this. I've found if I turn the APC on, open Ableton Live 8 on and wait for it to load, close down soon as it's done but leave the APC on, then load Traktor Pro, everything work as intended and all my mappings works fine. Don't have any of the above listed issues. My only problem.. the original one, I have no lights on the 8 knobs below the SHIFT key.

Confused? I know I sure as hell am.

In answer to your question about output signal. The only MIDI Input Device and Output Device I have selected is the APC40.

I'll totally understand if you don't know the answer to this problem,, I don't know where to start myself. I guess I can live without the LED rings but it's a bit annoying. Especially when I know they should work.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Endy101; 08-20-2009 at 03:48 AM.

At first glance, it looks like problem 1 may have to do with your Traktor mapping. Try changing the buttons to Hold/Toggle/Direct. I don't have my gear right now, so I forget the nature of signal the buttons send.

For problem 2, although pressing the Track Selection buttons is recognized by Traktor, they do not send out any sort of useful MIDI signal. As such, you can't really use them for much other than switching the channel on the lower set of knobs and buttons.

For problem 3, again the buttons on the Track Selection row don't send out any useful MIDI but rather change the channel, so by pressing Master as a MOD, you're essentially changing the channel of the lower knobs and buttons and who knows where that takes you in your mapping.

From the previous post, I was asking more specifically if you have commands in your MIDI mapping that are LED outputs, not what devices you are outputting to.

Hope this helps. I have another post on the forum showing the MIDI values of the APC40, maybe that can help you grasp what is going on.

Tech Student

Thanks a lot for your TSI, this is a great setup!

Tech Student

Thanks for you post and midi map. I think the APC could be a great controller for traktor.
    Can you explain how to make modifications to your template? I am having a difficult time with it. For example, when I try and assign fader#3 to the second deck it programs it to move fader#1 on the first deck. Any suggestions?
    Thanks ;-)

Tech Student

Thank you so much for the map. It's a great start. It seems like the apc and traktor could be a sweet combo.

I am new to midi mapping and am having some trouble assigning different parameters in traktor. For example, every channel fader I assign will only move the first deck's volume fader in traktor. Similar with the knobs. What might I be doing wrong? Also,the fx buttons have to be held down to remain active. Is there any way to change that? Can't twist those knobs while your holding down buttons.

Anyhow, cheers and respect, and thanks again for sharing

;-)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Negredo View Post
    Thank you so much for the map. It's a great start. It seems like the apc and traktor could be a sweet combo.

I am new to midi mapping and am having some trouble assigning different parameters in traktor. For example, every channel fader I assign will only move the first deck's volume fader in traktor. Similar with the knobs. What might I be doing wrong? Also,the fx buttons have to be held down to remain active. Is there any way to change that? Can't twist those knobs while your holding down buttons.

Anyhow, cheers and respect, and thanks again for sharing

;-)
    make sure youe selcet to what deck are u focusing...
    on the right side where it said assigment there u can focus that parameter to focus to one of the decks A,B,C or D

hope this help

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast