Soundcard : M-Audio Fast Track Pro - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

ToS, I have the EXACT same problem wit my Macbook and FTPro and NO IDEA why it was happening to me (I'm totally new to all this). I'd be playing and my audio greenlight would go red and all sound would stop. I'd shut Traktor down and reopen it and all would be good again for a bit.

So, is there any way you can DETAIL for a novice like me how you managed to build a fix for this? Thanks!

EDIT&UPDATE: This fix helped partially, the #$%@ still manages to lock-up but not so often as it used to. I'm still searching for a solution to this problem.
    I guess there is no reason to build it if the fix is not finished.
    BTW, can you be more specific: what part you don't untherstand exactly?
    Would you need a list of parts?
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Convert

What part do I not understand? All of it really

I mean, I get it that there is some power spike that causes it to fail, but I do not understand how to guarantee this to not happen.

Found a solution. At least works so far and passes my crash tests.
    I've add-ed two caps (2200uF) in paralel with usb power lines so they can filter anny jitter that is created by laptop-card interaction.
    I have done this by creating a small male-female usb cable so none of the original equipment/caples is harmed.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do try this, note that when disconnecting the card, you should do it in this order:
    1) disconnect the usb from fhe laptop
    2) turn off the FTPro
    If you turn off FTPro or disconnect the usb cable from the soundcard you leave these capacitors charged and danglig. They might return their charge back to your USB port and damage something. (if I'm wrong, technicians, please correct me.)

Dozen, I have not replied as that prevoius solution was not the final one. Hopefully this one is, and is quite easy to make.

You're really tweaking this one! Nice solution!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Here is an article from my website, descripbing the whole path: http://tos.network.in.rs/pages/posts...k-problem6.php

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    Here is an article from my website, descripbing the whole path: http://tos.network.in.rs/pages/posts...k-problem6.php
    Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    Found a solution. At least works so far and passes my crash tests.
    I've add-ed two caps (2200uF) in paralel with usb power lines so they can filter anny jitter that is created by laptop-card interaction.
    I have done this by creating a small male-female usb cable so none of the original equipment/caples is harmed.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do try this, note that when disconnecting the card, you should do it in this order:
    1) disconnect the usb from fhe laptop
    2) turn off the FTPro
    If you turn off FTPro or disconnect the usb cable from the soundcard you leave these capacitors charged and danglig. They might return their charge back to your USB port and damage something. (if I'm wrong, technicians, please correct me.)

Dozen, I have not replied as that prevoius solution was not the final one. Hopefully this one is, and is quite easy to make.
    Have you tried an APC? Do you think this would work as a solution as well? I had a friend suggest that to me the other day. I'm seriously ready to chuck mine if I don't figure this out soon.

...By the way, any update on how well you've avoided any crashes/sound stoppages since you started using your solution?
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Default The Solution

Have you tried an APC? Do you think this would work as a solution as well?
    Yes, you can use UPS (APC) if you can find powerful enough unit to sustain AMPLIFIER current draw. It is not problem with powering you laptop, it is your laptop insufficient USB power capabilities in conjuction with power-hungry FTPro. THE AMPLIFIER/MIXER that the FTPro is connected to draws a bit more current tru the soundcard's output and the soundcard requests same from the USB power, not getting enough in MY CASE. Thus it locks-up.

...By the way, any update on how well you've avoided any crashes/sound stoppages since you started using your solution?
    It is about time to declare this solution safe and stable. It has been tested with few laptops, two different FTPro soundcards and on a number of locations (EXIT fest, small caffes, festival in Albania, in-home with unstable power lines). To really be safe, you CAN use THREE capacitors instead of two.

I ask other FTPro owners to tesify if they made this power conditioner and wether it work'd.

Tech Wizard

Hey all i've got another thread which i believe is possibly the same problem with a different card. I've got the Audio Kontrol 1 and i'm having big problems with the whole system crashing. Rather than giving the thread i'll give u a better idea now that i have been DJing regularly at the club i am having trouble with and understand the problem more now.

Basically everything runs fine for any set amount of time until when i believe the an increased bass line comes in it all turns to s#!t (The booth and desk is all ply and vibration is a problem although not enough to affect a standard home cd player at all). 1st of all my VCI 100 stops sending signals to traktor. I can try to reboot the vci in traktor but then traktor freezes also. Even if i don't try to reboot the VCI traktor freezes within a few seconds. The song(s) i have loaded and playing continue to play until track end (Possibly until whatever was loaded into ram is up although i haven't had any long mixes going). I then have to wack a cd on as backup while i reboot and start all over again.

Suggestions given in the other thread were new thicker USB cables which i have tried and seemed to make some improvement with less crashes but i found during last nights gig that as i increase volume a little or start to play heavier bass music it crashes on me. I have a foam bass under the VCI to stop it from sending out extra signals from vibration through the jogs which worked excellent. I put a couple of different surfaces under my laptop to see if that could be a problem as using foam under it would only cause an increase in cpu temperature due to airflow. It only dawned on me last night that hey maybe it's the AK1 which is the problem either through vibration or now after reading this post it is just drawing to much usb power. Only problem is i don't believe there is a power supply available from the AK1. At this stage i will try for turning down the masters on the AK1 from a bit over halfway and increase the volume on the club amp.

I'll be sure to post back hopefully with a story of success.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast