Planning=cheating? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by j1n View Post
    Would you go take a test or exam without prior planning/studying? Enough said...tell that guy to fak off and let you do your thing...thats why your djing and that ass is just criticizing cause he cant do it worth shit
    Funny that you say that. The guy I asked used to DJ with richie hawtin and DJ dimitri
    Vci-100SE
    Maya44
    Traktor Pro
    Technics rp-dj1200
    Compaq Lapop-Windows vista, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd, 2.1ghz dual core.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coagulated View Post
    Funny that you say that. The guy I asked used to DJ with richie hawtin and DJ dimitri
    Then that's his way. You ain't him. If you plan a set backwards and forwards and it rocks the floor every single night then who gives a shit? Planning doesn't equal rigidity. You can plan a whole set and still improvise on it.

So do what makes you comfortable. Eventually you won't have to plan, or your planning will be that much better.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

LOL I have planned alot before a gig, but it doesn't mean that's how its going to play out. I could say I'm going to start off with this set of songs until the party really gets started and then I will crank out the Crunk songs that get a party really going crazy, but be that it may, when I start out the party is already Crunk and so like another person said here, you have to read the crowd, and then you will know what to stick with and what not to, also if the crowd is really wild try something new experimental and see what they do, if they love it then keep going, but if they seem like to be calming down, then stop immediately and get back to what you was doing before hand.
    DJ BIG Q. (HIP HOP/ OLD SKOOL)
    myspace page
    Gear: Fujitsu LifeBook N6220 (Pentium Centrino M Processor 750 1.86GHz, 3GB RAM, 1x 200GB and 1x 500GB HDDs, XP Pro), Traktor Pro 2.1, VCI-100 Black SE, M-Audio FastTrack Pro Soundcard, and Blue-Ice 5000W Amplifier.

A DJ is a decision-making engine. Some of those decisions are taste-driven, others are technique-driven. Taste is king; technique lets you express it.

Planning is just making some decisions ahead of time, or creating a list of (hopefully) known-positives for later use.

Even the best-laid plans aren't guaranteed to work for every crowd on every night, and mastering technique gives you options for deviating from a plan without stressing yourself out.

Anything that increases the quality of your product is a Good Thing, but bear in mind that time spent fine-tuning transitions might also be spent sifting through another few hundred tracks. If you're confident in your source material, by all means optimize.
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

I think I would argue that everyone plans their sets. Everytime I buy a track I'm already thinking what it would sound good to play before or after it, usually I try it on the decks and it works out. If I wing it live I already know what tracks I like putting next so in reality my planning starts the minute I decide to buy a track.
    There's absolutely no shame in planning the set, but its really cool when you know your music so well you can go to a party and throw down a set unplanned. That all comes in due time and years of experience.
    Have fun on the decks, don't stress yourself out. DJing should be something you enjoy in the first place.

So in a round about way, this thread just came to the conclusion that everyone plans ahead, just depends on how much. Some wing it, and some plan sets down to the second, but everyone plans in there own way to the point that they are comfortable, or wish they would have planned more so they were more comfortable.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

i hate to jump in all late, but dont trip on planning you sets, there is nothing wrong with having a setlist of what you plan to play at your gigs. Chances are that you will not follow the set cuz your going to want to throw in a track on the fly.

Now im going to share a story about a dj that I know. This dj has his sets written down in a book like this & plays on cd's.

New Wave/Synth Pop

Depeche Mode - Strangelove @ 00:00.78 sec @ +1.5 pitch
    New Order - Bizzare Love Triangel @ 00:25.03 @ +2.7 pitch
    Camoflage - The Great Commandment @ 00:01.78 @ -1.2 pitch

now i give him crap all the time about playing sets like that cuz what if someone request a track that goes with the set you playing. Are you going to say "chale" and not play the song or mix it on the fly?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Depends on your crate.
    I read a anecdote of a german guy who always sorted his record crate to a prpared playlist.The crate was hit and fell off the table.
    His set was gone...
    As mentioned before I think flaxibility is a must of a DJ.

Tech Convert

Whenever I try to plan out my set, I get about 5 songs in before I completely abandon what I had originally planned... especially when I have the intention of strictly following a specific tracklist, for some reason it never works. I just go by the vibes and expectations of the crowd, and most of the time, the light bulb goes on above my head, and I decide "that certain track is next"! I am horrible when it comes to organizing my music, and I have about a zillion burned CD's.... I should really get a grip on that :P My itunes is a clusterf*ck beyond belief.... I don't even like to think about how unorganized it is. But to get back on point, there's (of course) no general rules that apply to all DJs, and no guarantee that it will work even if you do plan it out. I know people that think I suck, and others that I've really impressed..... but I like what I do, and I'm always trying to get better.... in the past I've marked records, arranged my crates, written down track lists, burned two copies of my set onto CDs and printed the order, all that..... and yet the most fun I have when I'm DJing is when I just pick tracks off the top of the head, especially at a house party. Forget the criticizers... just play what you wanna, how you wanna.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    now i give him crap all the time about playing sets like that cuz what if someone request a track that goes with the set you playing. Are you going to say "chale" and not play the song or mix it on the fly?
    lmao!

you gotta love JesC
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast