Finished DIY jogwheel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Resolution isn't high enough for scratching, but i can easily change the resolution with changing the coded wheel. Optical encoders can have very high resoltuions (infinite theoreticaly). Here's what i use (enough for pitchbending, scrolling tracks in collection and aplying effects). I have the code for GlovePie (mouse to midi converter) if anyone needs it. Thanks for all the feedback!

Tech Convert

Nice work!
    Can you please explain how do they work? Are directly connected to the DIN of Midibox or the are completely separated?
    Thank you!

The jog wheels are separated from midibox - they are stand alone controller. Mouse connects in ps2 socket and gives x and y axis positions like an ordinary mouse. GlovePie is a translator program - it translates x and y axis movements into midi commands. So every time mouse cursor moves one pixel, GlovePie send cc midi message.

Additionaly i have mouse movents from jog wheels disabled so it gives out only midi messages (this can be done in GlovePie). And i use my ordinary mouse for mouse cursor control.

IR sensors were desoldered and connected to original holes with wires. Additionaly i could make use of the three mouse buttons, but i didn't have space on the box. Here's an explanatory picture:

thanks for the additional material and info. great looking project, would love to see a vid of it in action.

so how did you print your code wheel?

I draw the wheel in Adobe Illustrator and printed it on transparent foil (the one used in presentations). You have to try different sizes and see wihch one works best. Video wouln't be anything special. It's just a rotary encoder ,but i can try to make one.

what i think would be cool if you could use one of the buttons to make the rig touch sensitive, perhaps like the numark iCDX that you push down on the platter to "scratch"

Yeah, that's possible i quess, but i don't need scratching. It would be great if someone did something like that though.

Tech Convert

Thank you for the explanation! Do you know if it is possible to connect the encoder signal of your jog wheel to the DIN of the midibox? I want to modify mine. I want to replace the ALPS SRGP with something more sensitive.

Don't know exacly where you can connect it, but i'm sure that midibox supports optical encoders. You should ask someone on their forum. They have a chatroom and most ofthe time somone is there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast