What's missing from NI controllers?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What's missing from NI controllers?

What are some of the obvious hardware flaws in the S4, Maschine, X1, F1?

If you could design modular controllers like the CMD line, what would they feature and how would they be different from what is already on the market?

I'm starting my own controler company and want your input on where NI went wrong, as well as, where the market is heading.

Thanks,

Vincent

Inbuilt Soundcards, standalone-ability.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

That's good anything else?

What would make you say "wow"?

Haven't had any problems with the built-in sound card yet, though I thing the USB connector on the S4 and S2 could use work. (Loads of these acting up)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

What kind of designs and/or features do you want to see that big companies are too afraid to produce?

Tech Wizard

My vote is take a hint from the MF3D. It brought something new to the table. IMO, for me to say wow at a new controller, it has to perfect what we've already got; but bring something new. What that is I don't know, or I would make controllers haha.

Think of a new dimension of controlling music. In architecture you're taught to explore and exploit and ideas - what is a wall? What makes a wall a wall? Why do want the wall? What else can be a wall; it doesn't have to be physical does it?
    Think of a button on a controller. How do you press that button? What happens when you press that button? What is another way of performing the same action without pressing the button? Idk what I'm getting at, hopefully you understand what I mean and this sparks an idea.

TLDR Perfect what we have - enlighten us with something new.

edit: Why not even opt for a fully 'unique' controller; similar to how you can 'customise' a midi fighter.
    I would love to see a blank canvas; a rectangle controller. Let people put buttons where they want, jogwheels where they want, knobs and faders where they want. What colour, how long they are.
    I have no idea if this is possible, but I know if something like this existed it would put a lot of people out of business, haha.
    Last edited by crckrs; 06-18-2012 at 03:33 AM.

I agree they need a better usb connection.

Its really hard to take out. When you unplug the usb cord it either needs to be yanked out hard or jiggled out roughly which is probably loosing up the usb connection internally.

So i far i enjoy the way its setup.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by crckrs View Post
    My vote is take a hint from the MF3D. It brought something new to the table. IMO, for me to say wow at a new controller, it has to perfect what we've already got; but bring something new.

TLDR Perfect what we have - enlighten us with something new.

edit: Why not even opt for a fully 'unique' controller; similar to how you can 'customise' a midi fighter.
    I would love to see a blank canvas; a rectangle controller. Let people put buttons where they want, jogwheels where they want, knobs and faders where they want. What colour, how long they are.
    I have no idea if this is possible, but I know if something like this existed it would put a lot of people out of business, haha.
    That is what I'm doing here. I have several truly unique ideas and I'm trying to see which ones you will go for.

Last edited by Phi; 06-18-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Tech Wizard

Enlighten us with them! Share them and I'm sure people will comment. I understand you want to give people what they want, but people don't know what they don't like until it's in their faces.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by crckrs View Post
    Enlighten us with them! Share them and I'm sure people will comment. I understand you want to give people what they want, but people don't know what they don't like until it's in their faces.
    That's obviously not a smart business move, sorry.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast