Dj Tech Tools needs a radio station - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sounds good actually i'd be into that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

If you cant do it live, I would suggest creating a imeem.com acct and uploading the mixes there. its a dope site without bandwidth restrictions. the only catch is that you have to create a log in to listen to the mixes.
    Last edited by JesC; 05-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

I wouldnt worry about a contest. SInce we are scattered across the world, I think chances are that we do not need to worry about who gets the "prime time slots". And at the beginning we need to get things off the ground anyways.

A quick google search brought up a couple of services. The most affordable one this one here:
    http://www.securenetsystems.net/serv...adio/streaming

99USD per month for 200 simultaneous users, 399USD for unlimited listeners.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

compare that with $60USD/month for an entire server (5tb/month bandwidth, plenty for even a radio streaming @ 192kbps constantly [5,368,709,120 kbs = 5tb.] and that [192 x 2,629,743.83 (seconds in a month)] = only 504,910,815]) which would give us not only a radio service, but a website to manage it off of. if you do the extra math, 5,368,709,12 (5 tb.) divided by 504,910,815 (CONSTANT 192kbps streaming), you get about 6 users that could be connected at all times. given that this won't be the case, and that we could even use 128kbps, this could be an option.

edit: the server i'm looking at is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.askwebhosting.com/special/16229/5TB-bandwidth-DELL-dedicated-servers-$58-50.html
    Server 2:
    Dell Pentium 2.66 Celeron
    Intel Dell Pentium 2.66 Celeron
    1 GB DDR2 Ram (Up to 4GB)
    160 GB SATA2 Hard Drive
    5000 GB Data Transfer
    100 Mbps Connection
    5 IP Addresses
    99.99% Network Uptime

$64.95 Per Month / $0 Setup Fee!
    $58.50 Per Month / $0 Setup Fee! (10% Discount With 3 Months Pre-Payment)
    edit 2: in case this seems like an obscure reference, here's the idea: get this server, then setup an Icecast protocol on it. then, each person who wants to broadcast can do so from wherever they are, given they have more than a slow connection to connect to the server with. you use a client such as Nicecast (for mac), which gives you options for password protection (set up through the server) and nice little tags like Name, URL, Genre, etc that will all show up in clients like itunes that can connect to the server through a .m3u file.
    Last edited by djhipnotikk; 05-24-2009 at 03:28 AM.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Actually I dont think we want the hassle of managing a streaming server. More importantly, I think the goal would indeed to get a much greater audience than 6 users at the same time. The goal would be to get listed on itunes etc.

Now what I would suggest is that someone (or better yet 2-3 people) really commits himself to this. They work with Ean to setup a donation box to get enough money to get the 99USD deal for 3-6 months, while at the same time signing up and organizing people to DJ. Since the donations would come from us, I am sure if we get this money, there will be enough DJ's.

Now if this turns out to be a success (meaning we would even hit the limits at prime time), we get Vestax, NI, Ableton, Serato etc. to sponsor the radio channel as a show case for digital DJing. They would have ads on the radio website plus we would mention them as sponsors every hour or so. For that they pay up for the unlimited or whatever we need to keep all interested people able to listen. If they want they can also raffle off gear/software on the show (though no cheap swag .. ie. pencils).
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

so if not streaming, are we talking podcasts? my calculations were if the server was CONSTANTLY streaming, but the way we used to run ours was having a 2 hour show tuesday and thursday. and the 6 users was having people connected 24/7 for a whole month..something i doubt will happen. we may get a large audience, but i doubt it that large.

there's a lot of cheap hosting out there, i think we may be able to secure something for less than $99USD/month.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

sure it could be cheaper if we take care of all the infrastructure. but that way you put even more strain on the people that should be spending their time on making sure they have a good line up ready, publish a schedule and good backup mixes if a live DJ is not available etc.

and yes i do agree we will have a 24/7 show running any time soon (or even ever). but i do see the potential for more than 4 hours a week given our distributed nature.

anyways .. to me it all comes down to someone taking this to the next level. talk is cheap after all. and that someone has the final call on how to approach any of this, though of course he/she needs to convince people to follow.

Any word from Ean Golden or any moderators on this?

Tech Wizard

have you looked at something like stickam to get started? that's what a few other sites use(faderwave/djforums, ausdjforums etc) sure the quality is not great but not that bad either, and it's free, you only upload the stream once, it uses their bandwidth to serve however many people sign on.
    main problem is attracting listeners, but if you set up with one account, and have many dj;s sign in at different times, you can get a following.just need everyone to respect the allotted times and sign in at their times. You can embed the video/audio in your own page to customise it.

the video side is great, nice to see folks working live. as for setup, dead easy. Sign in , hit go-live, and select the video and audio device yoy want to stream from.

Tech Mentor

Wish I knew more about streaming, all I know is Id be more than glad to spin on the show.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast