Cue Point Chords and TouchOSC
    Tech Mentor

Default Cue Point Chords and TouchOSC

Ok, so my new obsession is TouchOSC with it's editor and pd (Pure Data).

I am working on a project to incorporate Ean's cue point chords setup into TouchOSC. I've attached a couple of screenshots of the pd canvas where I set up my objects. So far, so great!

I have four cue points set up on the bottom row and four different delay parameters on the second row. This was just to test my pd setup - it works great with Traktor. I was in the kitchen making a protein shake and juggling cue points this morning, proud of my initial work.

I still need to work on putting a 'joystick' to the left of the button grid. Should be easy enough with the X/Y OSCRoute outlet. I actually have a couple of X/Y pads as shown on the first screenshot - they currently are setup on the second 'page' of my TouchOSC layout so I'll just copy one of them, shrink it's size so that it will fit on the side of my button grid and test.

Ean - can you expand more on how you setup the parameters for the second row of buttons?
    Last edited by empolo; 08-11-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Tech Mentor

Update:

I got the x/y 'joystick' implemented and it works well. A north-south movement with your finger maps perfectly to a 0-100 rotation of the knob(s) that it is mapped to.

I'll attach the pd and TouchOSC config files in the next day or so and I hope to have a video up soon showing basic functionality. Ean mentioned in the CPC article that he would have mappings available; has anyone developed an equivalent that I could take a peek at?

Tech Guru

awesome .. i will surely check this out!
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

Found a little extra time today so I am attaching the TouchOSC and pd config files that are needed to make everything work.

Checklist:

(1) TouchOSC ($5.00 in the iTunes App Store and well worth it)
    (2) TouchOSC editor to sync the config files to your iPod Touch/iPhone (Free)
    (3) pd-extended (Free)

First, use the TouchOSC editor to sync the attached layout (DJTT-CPC-FINAL.touchosc) to your device. Select the layout in your phone, configure the network settings and you're ready to go. Then, simply run pd-extended, open the attached pd config (DJTT-CPC-FINAL.pd) and run a test to make sure everything is working. Pushing the buttons and moving the x/y cursor on your device will register as feedback on the pd-extended GUI.

TIP: Associate *.pd files with the pd-extended binary and just double click to open them without running pd-extended first.

Keep in mind that you'll need a virtual MIDI cable (MIDI Yoke, LoopBe30, etc.) for pd-extended to send MIDI through. Set up your virtual cable and be sure to select it in the pd-extended 'Media' menu pull-down (under the 'MIDI Settings' sub-menu). Then just select this cable in Traktor or your favorite MIDI-capable application and set up your mappings.

I have this completely working on Traktor Pro so let me know if you have any questions.

Links:

TouchOSC - Get the free editor and example layouts here.
    pd-extended - Download here.

Tech Mentor

Forgot to mention that when you have the layout loaded that you'll want to turn your device horizontally as if you're watching a video (home button to the right). The TouchOSC editor picture I attached earlier shows the layout from a vertical orientation.

I think thats really cool. Touch screen's dont like me though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by empolo View Post
    First, use the TouchOSC editor to sync the attached layout (DJTT-CPC-FINAL.touchosc) to your device. Select the layout in your phone, configure the network settings and you're ready to go.
    Hmm .. show how I am unable to get either of my iPhone's to see my laptop (it keeps "searching" both in the network and in the add layout panel). I did allow the TouchOSC editor full access through my firewall. I even disabled my firewall .. guess I need to fiddle a bit more. The wierd thing is that I can send messages with the default layouts just fine.

Keep in mind that you'll need a virtual MIDI cable (MIDI Yoke, LoopBe30, etc.) for pd-extended to send MIDI through. Set up your virtual cable and be sure to select it in the pd-extended 'Media' menu pull-down (under the 'MIDI Settings' sub-menu). Then just select this cable in Traktor or your favorite MIDI-capable application and set up your mappings.
    I guess you are on windows. Need to figure an alternative virtual MIDI cable in that case. Guess I will hit the pd-extended docs. Or I might need to switch to OSCulator.
    Last edited by lsmith; 08-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    Hmm .. show how I am unable to get either of my iPhone's to see my laptop (it keeps "searching" both in the network and in the add layout panel). I did allow the TouchOSC editor full access through my firewall. I even disabled my firewall .. guess I need to fiddle a bit more. The wierd thing is that I can send messages with the default layouts just fine.
    Yes, I always get the 'Searching..." message in the network screen - think that may be a bug so you can safely ignore that one.

As far as adding layouts, just to make sure, you did put TouchOSC into Sync mode prior to attempting to load the layout, correct? You should have a prompt like the once shown in the attached pic.

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    I guess you are on windows. Need to figure an alternative virtual MIDI cable in that case. Guess I will hit the pd-extended docs. Or I might need to switch to OSCulator.
    Yes - am on Windows Vista. I believe Macs have what's called a IAC driver that will provide that same functionality.

Tech Guru

Yes, I always get the 'Searching..." message in the network screen - think that may be a bug so you can safely ignore that one.

As far as adding layouts, just to make sure, you did put TouchOSC into Sync mode prior to attempting to load the layout, correct? You should have a prompt like the once shown in the attached pic.
    I tried it both ways (starting sync before and after going to the add layout screen) and in both cases it just keeps on "searching". Anyways, I have contact the developer, lets see if he can help me. Going by the comments I am not the only one having issues.