Korg KM-402

Thread: Korg KM-402

Default Korg KM-402

Hey, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Korg KM-402 mixer. Im looking for a low priced, quality, 4 channel mixer and this one looked like it was priced well and was pretty solid. I looked over the review on scratchworx, but it would be great to get input from people who actually own the mixer or have played around with it before.

Thanks!

I have played with the 2 channel one, and the effects are quite nice on these units and the price is good, but I think I want a midi control mixer like the behringer ddm4000

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have one. It's a solidly built mixer. It's got some weight to it and doesn't feel like it's built out of shitty plastic.

The effects are solid and the Kaoss pad is very responsive. The lights for transport (Cue On, X-Fader assignment, etc.) Are clear and bright in dark spaces. The mixer itself isn't black, so it adds some color to the rig too, which is nice.

The crossfader is loose, the volume faders aren't too tight (but aren't nearly as loose as the X-Fader), It was 8 EQ assignments which all change how the EQ colors tracks. My main complaints are

There's no PFL meters, only a Master Out and Cue meters. This sucks for making sure tracks are similar volumes.

The EQ knobs feel flimsy and loose, but they do control the EQ well.

It's not easy to preview effects

For the cost I love it. I don't use it as much as I used to anymore, but when I feel like busting out the turntables and rocking out with it I am always well served.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Dvlsadvct- how do the upfaders feel compared to the upfaders on the vci 100? do they feel really flimsy? Are the eq knobs sturdy enough to withstand heavy usage (traveling n whatnot), or would someone have to be really careful not the damage them? Also is the sound quality of the mixer and eqs up to par with say that of a vestax or pioneer mixer?

Thanks again, i really appreciate your help!

The upfaders on the VCI are tighter than the 402. But I like my upfaders loose.

I don't think you need to treat it like a delicate flower, but you need to treat it well. The only parts that ever worry me are the EQ knobs. Everything else is solid, big and bulky.

The thing with the EQ is there are 8 different options and they all sound good. It also gives you a LOT of personalization of how the EQ interacts with you. It sounds clean, and the EQ can really brighten up tracks. I've used it with CD decks, time code and as an output for my controller rig. Never had a problem.

The body of the thing feels like a tank. It's just that the knobs don't.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

fair enough. Thats alot of good info for me. Thank you so much for your help!

Never a problem.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall