eks: the xp5? good controller? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"When i raise my trigger finger all you ******* hit the deck"
    Sorry the junglist in me couldnt help himself

Seriously though, there is no piece of hardware out there that will do everything. It seems every piece of hardware on the market is made to have something next to it to fill in the gaps. The difficult part is picking a small number of controllers that will give you a large variety of different controls to play with.

Tech Convert

I'm still thinking about 2 XP5's with a DDM4000.

I like the idea of the VCI 100/300 but I prefer the idea of seperates so I can expand/change components if I feel the need.

The Stanton SCS.1d looks like a nice peice of kit. Still gives you the feel of old skool DJing (to an extent) but has a fek off massive price tag!!

XP5's seem to give you a good compromise. There are alot of different opinions, some say they are a good midi unit for scratching, some say you can't scratch with them! Who knows, it's a fekin minefield out there !!!!

Stace

Tech Mentor

I forgot to mention that I also use an external mixer with my XP10's and Trigger Finger, so all the fading, eq and limited fx are done with that.

As for scratching, they are probably better than most controllers out there as the jog wheels are larger than most, and they feel really good. However the software is very important when scratching. I found Virtual DJ was much better for it than Tracktor, Deckadance is also not so bad.

I'm in no way an expert on it though as I can only do some basic scratches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRKI6xyYNo <- Not me! Just a video to give you an idea.
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

sorry to bump this old thread but i got a xp5 to experiment with and i'm trying to control both decks in deckadance with one xp5, anyone know how to change deck focus?

thanks

Tech Mentor

charo, how do you like them? I've been itching to get the xp5s because they're so cheap. I dont' know if I should.

i just got one so far. like mentioned, the buttons are hard to push and when you push some of the buttons the case creaks a little. a little hard to get used to coming from the vci-100. I'm sure build quality varies a little from unit to unit.

The jog wheel is really nice IMO, spins much nicer then the vci-100 jogwheels.

I haven't tried the audio out yet, using it as a controller only so far.

I normally use deckadance with the vci-100 and tried it with the xp-5, but at the moment it can't switch deck focus so it only controls one deck. there is a custom mapping for virtual dj that works very well and enables you to control both decks with the one xp-5.

the bison software is pretty interesting, i would like to try it more if i had two xp-5s, but you can only control one deck with it like DD.

I'll probably try and tinker with Traktor as well. probably looking to make a rig consisting of the xp-5 and my evolution mk225 midi keyboard for controllerist experiments while leaving my vci-100 and DD as my main mixing rig.
    -------------------

can anyone explain more about the high resolution pitch fader? in bison, the pitch fader increments were .01, which is nice compared to the .1 of virtual or whatever DD's is. how does one utilize the higher resolution of the eks pitch fader

haha 4 of them ! nice dude

Whats your opinion on the xp10's ?

Tech Wizard

i went with the xp10 over the xponent and vci and the like because i wanted a stand alone mixer with effects.

the only issues with the xp10 is the buttons are a little stiff and some signal noise, but thats sorted with some ground loop isolators.

i got 4 because i didnt want to rely on the focus view and wanted dedicated decks for a b c and d, and at 99 euro its a sure thing vs the otus which is super expensive without a pioneer logo.

allen and heath with 4 touch sensitive jogs would be cool but not available yet.

so 2 little niggles, i would recommend to anyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12