Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 9
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ctran View Post
    The only other minor thing is that when it's playing normally, the pitch keeps jumping between -0.1%, 0%, and +0.1%. Do normal TSP users experience that too?
    Sounds like an A/D coverter issue - you actually need fairly decent A/D converters to get a decent timecode signal.

Update on the Behringer U-Phonos:

Despite not being rated as "low latency" devices, these little things work fantastically as timecode inputs. After I aggregate two of them together, they're stable and responsive in the TSP 1.1.2 Demo w/ 10.5ms delay at 48khz. My aggregate device consists of:

U-Phono #1 L/R Inputs
    U-Phono #2 L/R Inputs
    Macbook L/R Outputs
    DJ/IO L/R Outputs

Basically a 4in/4out that made for less than $75. There is only one big caveat: TSP doesn't seem to like it when I switch between relative/absolute mode -- if I do so, the timecode control starts lagging and distorting. Otherwise, if I just leave it in either mode, it works solid.

The only other minor thing is that when it's playing normally, the pitch keeps jumping between -0.1%, 0%, and +0.1%. Do normal TSP users experience that too?
    Wow that's weird...cuz when I use my Audio8 I don't have any of those issues. At all.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Wow that's weird...cuz when I use my Audio8 I don't have any of those issues. At all.
    No kidding? The audio hardware that was bundled & specifically made for this software works just fine? Please tell me more, I feel like you might be steering us in the right direction.

No kidding? The audio hardware that was bundled & specifically made for this software works just fine? Please tell me more, I feel like you might be steering us in the right direction.
    Yeah, can you believe it? So strange...maybe you should open a ticket with NI for this issue?

Isnīt that caused by the mechanical error on your TT? I mean the motor speed my fluctuate with use and dirt. Could it be that?

Tech Wizard

Yeah, can you believe it? So strange...maybe you should open a ticket with NI for this issue?
    Seriously dude, chill . I'm not endorsing a crack or stealing money from NI or anything, just a legit workaround for the demo for people who want to try out timecode without the requisite expensive soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Sounds like an A/D coverter issue - you actually need fairly decent A/D converters to get a decent timecode signal.
    I thought that at first, but I've run the signal through some pretty low-quality boxes at this point (including the Macbook's line-in, heh) and when the signal's poor, it usually just skips a lot or doesn't recognize it as timecode at all.

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k
    Isnīt that caused by the mechanical error on your TT? I mean the motor speed my fluctuate with use and dirt. Could it be that?
    Also very possible, since both these tables are pretty used. I mean, it doesn't cause an audible problem at all, that's just the one other funky thing I noticed about the setup.
    Last edited by ctran; 04-28-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Seriously dude, chill . I'm not endorsing a crack or stealing money from NI or anything, just a legit workaround for the demo for people who want to try out timecode without the requisite expensive soundcard.
    Semantics.

And I'm chill.

The funny thing is that many of you believe that there's no harm in this, yet you won't approach NI to help with your issues.

Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    that could possibly be the cause of it, or it could be the partially the cause of it in addition to the distorted timecode signal as bento is suggesting.

i'm not sure about traktor but with djdecks you can take a pic of your timecode signal to send to the developer to look at to see if there are problems.

the littlest things can cause timecode problems. for example, some people have used a second mixer in place of a phone amp to get their timecode signal to line level before going into their soundcard and reported problems because the mixers were coloring the timecode.

If i had to guess i would say that the setup in question is adding it's own flare.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    If i had to guess i would say that the setup in question is adding it's own flare.
    Oh yeah, I would never blame the Technics . I'll probably solve it whenever I figure out whatever buffer/sample rate issue in CoreAudio is causing the other problem.

Semantics.
    The funny thing is that many of you believe that there's no harm in this, yet you won't approach NI to help with your issues.

Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.
    Not too sure how this is hypocritical, or if you're totally clear about your argument. I wouldn't be calling up Vestax if my arcade-button modded VCI-100 was acting strange. Nor have I expressed any desire to pester NI about a setup that, at best, would only be decent imitation of the retail setup.

This workaround doesn't compete or infringe upon TSP customers with the Audio8, and I'd think that it would encourage someone half-serious about giggin to purchase a certified soundcard. So really, I'd just like to understand why you're so offended about this, to the point of posting snarky replies and calling me a hypocrite, when this thread and forum in general are just about sharing info.
    Last edited by ctran; 04-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Not too how this is hypocritical, or if you're totally clear about your argument. I wouldn't be calling up Vestax if my arcade-button modded VCI-100 was acting strange. Nor have I expressed any desire to pester NI about a setup that, at best, would only be decent imitation of the retail setup.

This workaround doesn't compete or infringe upon TSP customers with the Audio8, and I'd think that it would encourage someone half-serious about giggin to purchase a certified soundcard. So really, I'd just like to understand why you're so offended about this, to the point of posting snarky replies and calling me a hypocrite, when this thread and forum in general are just about sharing info.
    If you can point me to where I specifically called you a hypocrite, that would be appreciated.

The product is made to work with a certified soundcard for timecode use. You are circumventing that process.

I'm at a loss as to why it's so difficult to understand why I'm offended. Your Vestax example isn't nearly the same. You are replacing hardware to do the same thing - you aren't enabling additional functionality that you would otherwise have to pay for. Vestax hasn't stated 'if you want to mod your vci-100, then you can only use these certified mods'.

If NI had intended for people to try timecode out before buying it, then it would be stated. Since it's not, go to a store and try it; look at videos; ask around. Or just order it and return it if it doesn't do what you want.

Again I will state the following: if people are in this thread discussing how they are having issues with this, and you don't believe you're doing anything wrong, then call NI's support team to help you.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast