Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 8
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

I actually tried this with my Rane SL1 interface.

The SL1 is made to accept phono line - BUT, for some reason the input signal on it with my turntables connected directly to it was too low for Traktor and I was getting bad tracking.

I am thinking that this is the case since I have to use the SL1 ASIO driver which has absolutely no software options to adjust the input gain.

When I run the turntables through my mixer to boost the phono signal and then into the SL1 it works fine, but then that only leaves me with 2 channels to use on my DDM4000.

Does anyone know how to boost the input of the SL1 using software? Does anyone know of any ASIO drivers that work with the Rane SL1 that will allow me to adjust the input gain?

In the end, I just gave up, since it is fine for me to use Traktor without control vinyl, since that is what has lured me into making the switch from Scratch Live to Traktor. I am finding that Traktor Pro is much more fun than Scratch Live, since I don't have to spend any time beat matching and now have time for more effects and loop fun. And yes I have been beatmatching since 1999, but when you start adding in the 3rd and 4th deck, i'd rather be spending my time tweaking effects than nudging records and pitch controls on long 2 min+ mixes.

I'm real close to selling my Scratch Live setup and just buying a Maya 44 USB card instead.....

Ok sorry about my stupidity on this one if it is stupidity but if you have 2 ins ie one stereo in or two mono ins on a soundcard, could you not plug two turntables into the inputs but use a two into one connector type thing and have one tt on each of the ins afterall its not sound its just a controll technique so why you need stereo ?

PS go easy as i know nothing about traktor scratch and the way it works
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Don't worry mate your question is far from stupid. And I am sure that I know nothing compare to some guys here, so I consider myself of the stupid guys

As a matter of fact I questioned myself about the same thing and already tested it and it did not worked for me, the visual representation of the timecode signal just showed a vertical or horizontal line and the message was something as media not recognized. Conclusion> Needs to be stereo

BTW there is nothig bad about questioning yourself how to get the most from your gear. I don't know if you alredy done this, but I use a external mixer so I don't need the phone line in placed infront of the audiophile, so I use it as a extra line out (it is stereo and great quality) for traktor. Just route the desired deck output to your SPDIF out and then on the m-audio software assign it to be monitored by your phones(extra stereo line out for your mixer).

The timecode is signal is a stereo signal so you cant just run it in mono otherwise it wouldnt work.

From memory it looked to me like 2 sine wav oscilators running at the same frequency as once another, panned to the left and right channels, with one of the channels being slightly out of phase to the other channel.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Tech Mentor

The TSP timecode sounds like square waves. In either case couldn't the signal from the HDDJ be coded in Max/Msp or similar to be used with timecode?

That would be amazing.

http://www.instructables.com/id/SGYDWQYFN82OEN2/
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Can any other timecode vinyl be used with TS???

Tech Mentor

Your post won't be up long buddy. No posting links to cracked software or anything of the likes.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Mudo

The first and the last...

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    I am not sure if this is going to be the case (I may be wrong) but I think they have known this from the begining and that is why there are certain certifyed mixers and interfaces for Traktor scratch. I am sure that their first answer to a support request for different harwdare will be that it is not cerifyed for Traktor Scratch. Anyways why patch it? the most probable thing is that most of people will end up buying an Audio 4/8 beacauase there is no doubt that is ideal for traktor.

Im with you on this one, Ive been wondering about this for ages after seeing the Xone 4d article on skratchworks, (I only read this thread for the first time today), but when TScratch Pro came out is was remarked many times over that it does not use the audio 8 as a dongle. Not much in the interface of the settings suggests any kind of hard ware detection, weather it be for allowing the software to run, or for simply preventing DVS without the appropriate hardware.

When you look through all their promotional material it never explicitly states that you need a certified interface for it to work, it just says they are certified by NI as being to their standards of performance.

Tech Wizard

Update on the Behringer U-Phonos:

Despite not being rated as "low latency" devices, these little things work fantastically as timecode inputs. After I aggregate two of them together, they're stable and responsive in the TSP 1.1.2 Demo w/ 10.5ms delay at 48khz. My aggregate device consists of:

U-Phono #1 L/R Inputs
    U-Phono #2 L/R Inputs
    Macbook L/R Outputs
    DJ/IO L/R Outputs

Basically a 4in/4out that made for less than $75. There is only one big caveat: TSP doesn't seem to like it when I switch between relative/absolute mode -- if I do so, the timecode control starts lagging and distorting. Otherwise, if I just leave it in either mode, it works solid.

The only other minor thing is that when it's playing normally, the pitch keeps jumping between -0.1%, 0%, and +0.1%. Do normal TSP users experience that too?

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast